Rhinestones on Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrspip

Reaction score
Hi
Just a quick question

If I want to put a rhinestone onto a nail when doing shellac, do I put it on once the colour has been cured for 2 minutes then the top coat or do I need to use a small amount of glue?
I tried this the other day as a practice puttibg it one after the colour and one has come off, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right

Any thoughts? Thanks x

For me I have found the best way is to do the full shellac application as normal, then I use a layer of EZ Flow Gel It- put the crystal in, cure 2 mins and then one topcoat of gel it.
Lasts brilliantly xx

Does the EZgel not effect the shellac? And what exactly is the gel called? Is it expensive? I find if I add glitter or stones to shellac it doesn't last at all! X

Hi there
I cure all the colour costs first then place the gem in the sticky layer, then topcoat and cure.
Lasts fine x

Could you tell me where I can get the item from as I only do Manu, pedi & shellac, do not 100% on what I'm looking for

Thanks

hi
i did my nails the on tuesday in hollywood i put 3 gems on each ring finger on the my left hand i set them in to the topcoat and then cured.
on my right hand i did 1 colour and cured, 2nd layer put the gems on and cured then topcoat.
i lost one on my left hand yesterday but the rest are set firmly and the shellac colour is fine. i will definately be sticking to the second method
hth xx

It's called GEL IT! By EZ Flow. I got mine from graftons and no not expensive.
No it doesn't affect the shellac or any other gel polish I've used it with. It is a gel top coat after all :)

Xx

It's called GEL IT! By EZ Flow. I got mine from graftons and no not expensive.
No it doesn't affect the shellac or any other gel polish I've used it with. It is a gel top coat after all :)

Xx

I wouldn't recommend using a gel on top of Shellac. (Shellac is not gel and is a completely different system to any other out there)

The way I do it is, apply two coats of colour curing for two minutes each time.. apply my top coat and press the rhinestones into the uncured top coat ensuring to press them down firmly with an orange wood stick... then cure.

I've never had a problem with them coming off... you could do it this way or apply the rhinestone into the colour and then apply the top coat over the stone sealing it in, but that can take the shine off the stone so I prefer to do it the first way.

HTHs :)

I wouldn't recommend using a gel on top of Shellac. (Shellac is not gel and is a completely different system to any other out there)

The way I do it is, apply two coats of colour curing for two minutes each time.. apply my top coat press the rhinestones into the uncured top coat ensuring to press them down firmly with an orange wood stick... then cure.

I've never had a problem with them coming off... you could do it this way or apply the rhinestone into the colour and then apply the top coat over the stone sealing it in, but that can take the shine off the stone so I prefer to do it the first way.

HTHs :)

Thanks An*Gel, a great suggestion. I did think of this after I had done it
I'll give this a go, see how it comes out
Where you push the rhinestone in, does it matter that the top coat does not cover the stone to hold it in place or is it enough at the sides due to the curing?

Thanks An*Gel, a great suggestion. I did think of this after I had done it
I'll give this a go, see how it comes out
Where you push the rhinestone in, does it matter that the top coat does not cover the stone to hold it in place or is it enough at the sides due to the curing?

It should be enough to hold it in place (I've always done it this way)

If you find you are having problems, you could always finish your Shellac and then apply them with some adhesive... they won't budge!

It should be enough to hold it in place (I've always done it this way)

If you find you are having problems, you could always finish your Shellac and then apply them with some adhesive... they won't budge!

Thanks An*gel, will give your way a go first. Thank you x

I was taught to put them into the top coat but instead of just pressing them in make the top coat slightly thicker and move them about in it before placing where you want them. That way the top coat "hugs" the gem. It also saves dulling down any gems with top coat.I was taight this by the educator at the Fingertips centre in Edinburgh.HTH.X

I was taught to put them into the top coat but instead of just pressing them in make the top coat slightly thicker and move them about in it before placing where you want them. That way the top coat "hugs" the gem. It also saves dulling down any gems with top coat.I was taight this by the educator at the Fingertips centre in Edinburgh.HTH.X
This would be the best way to do it, as the topcoat (just the one final coat) would grab around the gems and hold them in place around the sides, then wipe off and they should sparkle like they are intended

Latest posts

Back