Ridges in Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyc

Reaction score
Hi there wondered if someone could help, my colleagues mum has just aproached me as she put some 'stick on' nails on and when they came off they have literally taken chunks out of her nail. Particularly on her thumb nail in the middle there is a real deep ridge type thing well looks like someone has just scraped a bit out of the nail anyway she doesnt really want extensions and ive mentioned maybe a overlay instead of extensions if she decides on this im obviously not going to get an even looking nail obviously because there are ridges how would i overcome this? hoping you understand what i mean thanks x x

Kellyc said:
Hi there wondered if someone could help, my colleagues mum has just aproached me as she put some 'stick on' nails on and when they came off they have literally taken chunks out of her nail. Particularly on her thumb nail in the middle there is a real deep ridge type thing well looks like someone has just scraped a bit out of the nail anyway she doesnt really want extensions and ive mentioned maybe a overlay instead of extensions if she decides on this im obviously not going to get an even looking nail obviously because there are ridges how would i overcome this? hoping you understand what i mean thanks x x

Hi Kelly

I don't see why you won't get an even finish, on any system either Gel, L&P or Wraps

I think this is an excellent solution to giving her a smooth finish until the ridges grow out of her nails. wHo knows she might never look back after having an overlay...

L&P is a great way of sorting out ridges in nails and making them look even, as is gel too. I myslef have badly damaged thumbs where both had tips put on when i was younger that were too small, it has caused both my thumb nails to have a ridge going from cuticle to free edge, and L&P is the only way for me t be able to hide it and get a great curve shape in them.

Give it ago and see.

gel would be fine it self levels, like that floor leaveling stuff, you know you just pour it on and it levels flat! HE HE!

i used to use them stick on nails and had ridges in thumb nails. they went though, thew! But i do have a real messed up thumb, for sum reason for ages it just kept spliting up the middle from the free edge, so i put overlay on to protect but kept it short to prevent it from splitting more. it now, for some reason, is really really softm and kinda breaks off, it reminds me slightly of thick skind, and it can just tear off. it is really weird.

thinking back i think it started soon after my course started, like everyone on my course i bought the total waste of monet and useless rio uv kit, the idea was to not waste loadsa money and to just try out. turns out it is soo crao, you can't even really use it as a tester, ne-who the gel pinched my thumb nail so much when it shrunk, it deformed my nail, and it went up in the middle (like a peak) lucky this settled down, but nail hasn't been the same since!

luckybird21 said:
gel would be fine it self levels, like that floor leaveling stuff, you know you just pour it on and it levels flat! HE HE!

i used to use them stick on nails and had ridges in thumb nails. they went though, thew! But i do have a real messed up thumb, for sum reason for ages it just kept spliting up the middle from the free edge, so i put overlay on to protect but kept it short to prevent it from splitting more. it now, for some reason, is really really softm and kinda breaks off, it reminds me slightly of thick skind, and it can just tear off. it is really weird.

thinking back i think it started soon after my course started, like everyone on my course i bought the total waste of monet and useless rio uv kit, the idea was to not waste loadsa money and to just try out. turns out it is soo crao, you can't even really use it as a tester, ne-who the gel pinched my thumb nail so much when it shrunk, it deformed my nail, and it went up in the middle (like a peak) lucky this settled down, but nail hasn't been the same since!
If it went up in a peak like that it is most likely using a tip that was too small rather than the gel - cant see how a gel would "deform" a nail.

Carole Lindsay said:
If it went up in a peak like that it is most likely using a tip that was too small rather than the gel - cant see how a gel would "deform" a nail.
shrinkage - most gels shrink slightly this being non-professional might have shrunk say 20% which would have put pressure on the natural nail....so it could have been a combination of the two...

I knew that you got shrinkage but didn't realise that gel could do this. I myslef have a problem but that was due to tips being put on that were a bit small, so they sprung up abit and caused my nail to pinch. I've never had gel so it was definately the tips with me.

Carole Lindsay said:
it was sculpted, and it was right on top of lunula! Kinda hurt too! Damaged it more to day, a metal pole fell on my head, and i put hand up to try to protect myself. dislocated thumb, and damaged nail, again! Im always dislocating joints though, i have real weird bones, they bend and twist rather than break, how strange.

went iceskating at 15 and went over on ankle, anyone else would have broken it, but no, i twisted the actual bone, so now have twisted tib' (really can't spell 2day-more than usual! so lets leave it as abbreviated)

also hyper-mobile, can get elbows to stick out other way. yuck! lol

Latest posts

Back