Ridiculous but how do you ask for money?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bezza

Reaction score
Hey girls (and you occasional boys!)

I had my first paying client today - i was literally shaking with excitement once I was done!!! I just didn't know how to ask for the money though! In the end she kept asking how much I wanted and I kept saying I wasn't sure (she had 6 l&p tips and then french Shellac over all 10 fingers, previous l&p soaked off because she'd trashed them).... eventually she said I was being silly and that I needed to take the money from her - she is my friend but I'd just never charged her before. Maybe it'll be easier to charge people that I don't know but I'm just too embarrassed to ask!! I'm gonna be a cr@p business woman eh?! :o

You need to get over this really quickly, otherwise you will starve!:eek:

Get yourself a pricelist made up and on display so that everyone knows that this is a business.

You wouldn't go into Sainsburys and expect to not pay for your trolley load or have the window cleaner come and not charge you would you? You need to value yourself, your skill, and your time and charge accordingly. No decent friend or client is going to expect anything but a fair price for a fair job done.

Your friend was right, you are being silly! :D

I agree with Shelia, make yourself a price list.

Yes you must get over your fright, apprehension, whatever. Remember the client is counting on you to be the PROFESSIONAL here so you have to act like one.

There are a couple of ways to do this (am sure others can give you more suggestions):

1. Your bill today is? (put price here).

2. Will that be cash, check, or charge? Then give her/him the total.

When you fill comfortable and before you say 1 or 2, ask if the client would like to purchase a cuticle oil (or something else) and point out the benefit to his/her nails. This is called upselling.

Just my thoughts.;)

The easiest way if using polish is to say.....would you like to pay before I do your polish? All my ladies are grateful for this.

Otherwise I get my cash tin and appointment book out once we're done and say.......that's £35 today please, when would you like your next appointment? 2 weeks today?

I agree with Shelia, make yourself a price list.

Yes you must get over your fright, apprehension, whatever. Remember the client is counting on you to be the PROFESSIONAL here so you have to act like one.

There are a couple of ways to do this (am sure others can give you more suggestions):

1. Your bill today is? (put price here).

2. Will that be cash, check, or charge? Then give her/him the total.

When you fill comfortable and before you say 1 or 2, ask if the client would like to purchase a cuticle oil (or something else) and point out the benefit to his/her nails. This is called upselling.

Just my thoughts.;)

Good thoughts they are too. Very helpful to new ones starting out.

aww bless you! In addition to a cash tin you will need a little piggy bank for tips! x

They want to pay,apart from the odd idiot, they're treating themselves and what a lovely treat some lovely nails. This is their reward for working hard and you provided the treat.TAKE THE MONEY you cant live without it x

Last edited:
Thanks all of you! I'm indeed getting the pricelist done as we speak - I'm getting a tri-fold leaflet/pricelist so will put these on the desk and it will help. As for the tip about money before I put a polish on or asking for the next appointment - that's a great idea too. I'll get there hopefully - or you're right I will starve!! Thanks for the tips (but not so convinced about the tip jar - not yet anyway!!!) x x

My tip jar is a beautiful Cow money box with long eyelashes and a lovely ow around her neck, she even has udders. Clients have asked what she is there for and I told them I was saving my tips for my Las Vegas holiday. They all enjoy putting something in her. I wish she would mooo when they do though, that would be funny! :D

I got a huge tip from a girl who had been going to a nail bar where they didn't speak English. She loved her nails and the chat and took some cards with her to pass round. I love even a £1.00 tip as it lets me know they are happy with the service but i dont have a tip jar as i'd feel i was asking for one x

yep i too also say after they have washed their hands to get all the dust off "ok have you got another appt booked in? would you like to put your coat on, get your car keys out, and pay etc before i put you some gloss or polish on?" new clients say "oooh yes thats a good idea!" long term clients say "oooh yeah" and then we have a joke about them should know the routine by now and we laugh and they usually say oh its been a long day etc etc
you'll be fine, after all your not being rude as you've provided a service for them. if you feel uncomfortable with friends then do a mates rates but not for free as your leaving yourself wide open then also be realistic who your REAL friends are (10years in my own salon n i have about 5mates rates, and also family rates)

Dear oh dear. The reason you do this is to make a living!
Being shy just isn't an option. Some great ideas here to help you word it.

Always publish your prices in a price list, that saves any ambiguity.

Bet the nail companies wont let you have free products so you've got to charge them to buy what you need x

From one newby to another.....
I hated doing this too, i did a good few sets for free, then my tutor put me straight, telling me i use quality products, i provide a good service, so why wouldnt i charge.....as someone said earlier, if you went shopping, you wouldnt get thing for free, but you do get special offers! Lol xxx
I made a point of saying (in conversation) that i had finished my 'practice sets' (about 20 FREE SETS!!!!) and i would now be charging a small amount (Only £10 to begin with) to cover costs, and that this would go up every month, as i got better.
When a friend would ring, and say, 'could you do my nails...im going out', i would just say 'yeah no probs...thats...........'.
It is hard at first, but you will get used to it, Promise xxx
HTH XX Shelley XX

I just opened my own shop to and I have just been saying ok you are done and then they ask how much. But I know what you mean, I havn't been checking there money so far no probs but I am getting more confident and you will too

Well I love asking for payment (best part of the appointment) and am not ashamed at what I charge ... I am worth it and that is why I work, to earn a living.

Doing Nails is not a hobby with me and never has been. You work for your money, you do the best job you possibly can every time, you provide a nice experience for the client every time and you charge for it without a backward glance.

Bless you! But - stop being shy xxx

When I have completed the service I say..

'Ok, thats £xx.xx today thank you, is it cash or card?'

Then I reach for my diary whilst they are reaching for their purse and ask them what day would suit them best their next appointment.

If I am using nail polish, I suggest we get the payment out of the way before I apply the polish, which is always a good idea. But not a problem with Shellac - ZERO dry time!

Bless you! But - stop being shy xxx

When I have completed the service I say..

'Ok, thats £xx.xx today thank you, is it cash or card?'

Then I reach for my diary whilst they are reaching for their purse and ask them what day would suit them best their next appointment.

If I am using nail polish, I suggest we get the payment out of the way before I apply the polish, which is always a good idea. But not a problem with Shellac - ZERO dry time!

:D Yes .. with Shellac they can immediately open their own darned purse .. do up their own 501's after a trip to the loo and fasten their own seat belts. The joy!! :D

:D Yes .. with Shellac they can immediately open their own darned purse .. do up their own 501's after a trip to the loo and fasten their own seat belts. The joy!! :D

That's so funny! It's not just me then that has had to pull up clients knicks and jeans before now then as they have just realised they need the loo AFTER I've applied polish! Thankfully, they never asked me to wipe anything :eek: Oh and go to the car with them and put on their seat belt for them!

Last edited:
That's so funny! It's not just me then that has had to pull up clients knicks and jeans before now then as they have just realised they need the loo AFTER I've applied polish! Thankfully, they never asked me to wipe anything :eek: Oh and go to the car with them and put on their seat belt for them!

I've lost count how many times I've had to do this, even when they have been asked 'do you need the loo before I paint'?:rolleyes:
Shellac has been a modesty and sanity saver :D
:hug:

Latest posts

Back