Ridiculously bad at eyelash extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitalityTherapies

Reaction score
Hi, I went on an eyelash extensions course a few weeks ago and was terrible at it from the start. I think not having glasses on didn't help. It was so bad that I didn't even complete half a set. I really want to practice but I'm not even good enough to get a few lashes on people so would be wasting their time. Has anyone else had a similar problem or am I completely useless on my own :)

Don't be disheartened everyone has to start someone with every treatment, I felt exactly the same when I started lashes! It took me 2 hours to get about 20 lashes on. I can now do a full set in an 1-11/2 hours. I have being doing them 5 years now. Practice really does make perfect, so just keep practicing and all of a sudden it will just click!! Good luck!

I'm worried about even attempting to work on a person as I got to the point where I could get one on properly! Nightmare

Have you thought about doing a one to one course, this could pin point areas that your maybe lacking in with the treatment xx

What is exactly you're struggling with? Isolating? Picking up lashes? Applying lashes? I only ask so i know what tips to offer you

What is exactly you're struggling with? Isolating? Picking up lashes? Applying lashes? I only ask so i know what tips to offer you
Hi, I went on an eyelash extensions course a few weeks ago and was terrible at it from the start. I think not having glasses on didn't help. It was so bad that I didn't even complete half a set. I really want to practice but I'm not even good enough to get a few lashes on people so would be wasting their time. Has anyone else had a similar problem or am I completely useless on my own :)
Hello,

I had just completed my two day course in early July and I am struggling too. At one point I thought, maybe I'm just not good at this, and from time to time wonder if it is me or if other beginners feel this way. Don't give up!

Last edited:
Would you be kind enough to offer any tips on where to place your right hand while lashing the left eye? I can't find a comfortable spot to balance my hand and keep my tweezers steady when placing a lash with my right hand. I ask my client to tilt their head to the right so I can see a bit better. Note: I am right handed

Thank you in advance!!

Isolating the lashes is a major problem as is applying the lash in the correct position. As said above, I just feel so awkward

Just force yourself doing it and be patient. Don't drink coffee or anything before you do your clients. I remember doing my first course and all I was thinking was "WHY did I ever consider it as a good idea? I will NEVER do them in my life" Hahaha :D Took me 5-6 hours to do a full set and my hands were shaky the first 3 hours :D
I think it took me 3-4 months to get rid of the shakes and then another 3-4 months to get a full set to 2 hours... Just find your patient friends who trust you and are happy to be guinea pigs and award them with a good wine afterwards!! :) Dont give up yet, you only just started!!!! :)

Thanks Duckie[emoji5]️!

You really do need to practice, I felt exactly the same when I first started. Practice on friends and family without charging them or at a discounted price.

It took me a while to become good at it ( I wasn't doing that many so took a while to even get the practice) but the more clients I done the better I got and my client base just built up and now I have quite a few that have them regular and they are really pleased and a lot of people have them done after a recommendation Which is really good. This is now my favourite treatment to do even though it started of as my weakest so stick at it as it is very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Good luck x

Would you be kind enough to offer any tips on where to place your right hand while lashing the left eye? I can't find a comfortable spot to balance my hand and keep my tweezers steady when placing a lash with my right hand. I ask my client to tilt their head to the right so I can see a bit better. Note: I am right handed

Thank you in advance!!
So im not twisting and turning to pick up lashes and dip in glue whilst having the lash isolated, i have everything close by. I wear a glue ring and use a pad for my lashes that keeps them upright and not flat. It is quicker to pick up a lash when its already sitting correctly for you. I make sure the eye pads i use are quite thick so that way when isolating the lash i can lean the tweezers on the pad without worrying about stabbing the client. Before i start isolating the lashes ive already picked up my lash and i have it standing upright in my glue ring. That way i can isolate and then just grab the lash from the ring and apply it. It saves a lot of time. When isolating i start with the tweezers closed then as im brushing (not the word im looking for) through the lashes, i open the tweezers and once i have a lash i then lean my tweezers on the eye pad. Does that make sense? In regards to my right arm, i place my elbow just at the base of the clients head, i dont have my clients head right up to the end of the bed. That way i have room to place my arms. It is a great help doing it that way but.... it does put a bit of strain on my neck and shoulders as i find i have to lean forward but i find this way works best for me. Hope ive helped you in some way

Aw thank you! I'll take all of this into consideration next time I lash a friend! Xo

Couly you practice on a set of strip lashes to get you going?

Oh, I feel your pain! It is a very rough start. Just hang in there and keep practicing! My first set took me about four hours to apply about 30 lashes! I have improved dramatically since I first started 4 months ago. I still have a lot to learn but my application has improved immensely and I am not as nervous anymore. I've had a few clients not come back, and a few very loyal ones who continue to see me. I am having some trouble building a client base, but I think it's due to the lack of marketing (I haven't had much time this summer). Tips I have learned are to not feel shy when placing my hands to do the left eye. I tilt the client's head slightly and will use their nose and forehead as support if I need to, I also angle my body and move my chair around a lot. I use a glue ring and lash ring (you can also use a lash dome that attaches to your wrist) to keep things very close to me so I'm not wasting time moving around picking up lashes and dipping glue. Isolation will come with more practice and time. I had problems with my eyes as well and went to the optometrist and got myself some glasses and it made a world of difference. Proper lighting is a huge factor as well. I don't have a proper floor lamp, so I use a led headlamp, which turned out to be pretty handy! I practiced on a set of strip lashes glued to the forehead of one of my daughters big play dolls. It was a sight to see, I tell you! But it definitely helped me cut my time down and isolate properly. Keep going and it will slowly come to you! Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20150327_193059_medium.jpg
    IMG_20150327_193059_medium.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 86
  • 4059971f8bb0eaf61bcfa4a954a21933.jpg
    4059971f8bb0eaf61bcfa4a954a21933.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 84
Dont worry lashes are a hard to get used to I think it requires a fair amount of practice as all lashes are different but you will get there perseverance is key and you will amaze yourself at your progress in a couple of months! My advice to you would be to take photos of all your lashes so you can see your progress :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back