Right thing to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhair&beauty1x

Xhair&beautyx
Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice I'm really struggling atm, I work in a salon and I find the people I work with really difficult, I've been there a while now still struggling to get a big client base but what doesn't help is that my boss comes in on his day off to do new clients when I'm in! Which then makes me feel like I'm not doing a good enough job?
Any new clients the other staff try and take not giving me any new clients because they want them for themselves which I understand this industry is each of its own but when they're saying 'oh babe were gonna help you' I've got my boss down my throat telling me I need more clients I'm really struggling and feeling like absolute sh*t . Constantly changing the rules and prices it's a shambles if im honest.
The staff have made me come home in tears because of the comments they've said to me before about certain things.
The thing is I go home and do services on family and friends and they love it so I have to believe in myself but it's so bloody hard when you have that everyday batting you down making you think you won't ever be good enough.
I'm thinking of starting to do more at home and building up abit there then leaving because I can't stay forever because they're literally battering me and I'm to afraid to say anything back because I'm the youngest. Constant competition on who put the most money through they shop I can't compete.

Just wondered if anyone else had any other problems similar and what they did?
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE SO GOOD RIGHT NOW :(

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. Can I ask if you are self employed or employed by the salon?

Jamie

So are the other staff xx

I'm employed there

In that case I think the situation is very unfair. I know this doesn't happen as often as it should but in my opinion if a member of staff is employed by a salon then the salon owner should be bringing in the majority of the clients.

What does your boss actually expect you to do to bring in clients? What do the other staff do? Are you provided with any marketing materials or marketing budget?

I'm sure someone who has been in a similar situation will be able to give you better advice than me but in my opinion this is not your fault and you are being treated unfairly. I would certainly consider doing more at home like you say or looking for employment elsewhere if you feel it can't be resolved.

Good luck!

Jamie

Thank you for replying I really appreciate it. They expect me to do new clients that come in, but at the same time don't even get me the opportunity to do so? There's no marketing because they don't want clients to think we need extra clientele which personally I think is ridiculous because any extra clients is a bonus regardless! Then at the same time when some of their regulars book in with me they get really b*tchy about it even though clients complain about the member of staff not treating them as well as they used to, i just can't win lol I've definitely get to get a move on asap, thank you for your advice cxxxx

Thank you for replying I really appreciate it. They expect me to do new clients that come in, but at the same time don't even get me the opportunity to do so? There's no marketing because they don't want clients to think we need extra clientele which personally I think is ridiculous because any extra clients is a bonus regardless! Then at the same time when some of their regulars book in with me they get really b*tchy about it even though clients complain about the member of staff not treating them as well as they used to, i just can't win lol I've definitely get to get a move on asap, thank you for your advice cxxxx

It sounds very unorganised to me. You would think they would have some kind of system in place for allocating new clients to each member of staff.

I don't want to alarm you but if they are avoiding doing marketing to fill their staff appointments and aren't giving you sufficient new clients then I would be worried at some point they may find you surplus to requirements. I may be wrong of course but I would certainly think about a plan B and particularly if you are not enjoying the working environment. Life is too short!

Jamie

No you're absolutely right, which is why I am worried, but I need to get a move on now rather than just waiting for something to get better. Xx

I would be very worried to be in a salon where no marketing is taking place. All salons need a flow of new clients even if really well booked up . People move away , have lifestyle and budget changes or go elsewhere in he world of salons. Steady flow of new blood is essential.

I would be job hunting or planning to go self employed somehow.
Be proactive !
[emoji3]

Would not dream or treating my team like this. They are not responsible for bringing in new business, I am. They're responsible for caring for the clients that I bring in and making sure that they have such a beautiful time they never go anywhere else. I don't currently market as we're booked six weeks in advance, but we're currently expanding and this is still I not any one else's responsibility. My team receive constant training, support, excellent commission structure and a happy and nurturing work environment, if you are not experiencing any of this, leave. The environment sounds very toxic you need to work in a caring and nurturing environment or how else will you be able to provide these thing for your clients.

Don't feel alone, there are strong forthright people on here who can give you support. You are not being treated well, find somewhere new. If you need help with your CV drop me a pm and I can take a peek, I've been recruiting for decades so can give you some pointers.

I would be looking for another job. It doesn't make sense to stay somewhere that is the source of such upset.

In my experience there are some awful management practices that take place in this industry. It is well worth investing the time and energy to find a decent employer because thankfully, they exist too.

Would not dream or treating my team like this. They are not responsible for bringing in new business, I am. They're responsible for caring for the clients that I bring in and making sure that they have such a beautiful time they never go anywhere else. I don't currently market as we're booked six weeks in advance, but we're currently expanding and this is still I not any one else's responsibility. My team receive constant training, support, excellent commission structure and a happy and nurturing work environment, if you are not experiencing any of this, leave. The environment sounds very toxic you need to work in a caring and nurturing environment or how else will you be able to provide these thing for your clients.

Don't feel alone, there are strong forthright people on here who can give you support. You are not being treated well, find somewhere new. If you need help with your CV drop me a pm and I can take a peek, I've been recruiting for decades so can give you some pointers.

Reading all these comments have made me feel so much better, you start to question whether you're just being sensitive and pathetic but I know it's not right what's going on, I am going to start looking for a new job thank you so much for all your responses and advice I'm really going to take it on board. It's just nice to see that other people don't think I'm being ridiculous! X

That's the trouble with bullying management, they have this weird way of making you feel that you're the one being out of order. It's hard to see it for what it is until you've left the job sometimes.

Good luck with the job hunt :)

Get out of there asap. My first job out of college was like this and I used to go home in tears everyday. I sent out loads of cv's and luckily found something else after a year of hell, but I am so glad I did because when you are made to feel like that everyday, you start to question your career choice and thats not fair or right. Your boss should be ashamed of himself. This is all him…not you. Get your CV's out to as many nice salons as you can. You will find somewhere else soon.

Latest posts

Back