Rimmel Salon Pro polish vs Vinylux?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina

Reaction score
So I'm trying to promote Vinylux for retail , but all the girls at work (my main job) are harping on about their new Rimmel Salon Pro nail varnish - the one that's shines just like gel polish!!!! , how they have worn it for 5 days so far no chipping, no need for base coats, top coats etc...
And they can buy it for half the price of Vinylux and don't need to buy a topcoat.

How do you compete with that?
People tend to always choose cheaper options.

So I'm trying to promote Vinylux for retail , but all the girls at work (my main job) are harping on about their new Rimmel Salon Pro nail varnish - the one that's shines just like gel polish!!!! , how they have worn it for 5 days so far no chipping, no need for base coats, top coats etc...
And they can buy it for half the price of Vinylux and don't need to buy a topcoat.

How do you compete with that?
People tend to always choose cheaper options.

1. It is not a pro only product.
2. It has an extremely small shade range.
3. I actually bought the top coat myself just out of curiosity and my pro top coats (Seche, Posche, Lumos, just to name a few) give a far superior finish.
4. I bet the Rimmel doesn't dry as fast and completely as Vinylux, or applies as nicely. The bottles are also hugely clunky and not nice to hold.
5. You will be retailing to your nail clients who come to you for your experience and professional abilities and knowledge.

hth some! xx

That's a good question. Hmmm, I think when it comes to professional vs high street products, there are often times when people prefer to go for high street products because if they do the same thing but for a cheaper price then it's a no brainer I guess.

I guess it's things like this that keep professionals and product companies on their toes because they need to provide services and products that can't be beaten by what the customer can do at home for a fraction of the price. Personally, I think that even the very cheap W7 polish is really good...lovely colours, lasting and dries in a reasonable amount of time. For what it's worth, I think it's easier to upsell things that clients can't do at home like lash and brow treatments and massage.

I'm sure Vinylux is lovely and has it's place in the salon for professional use (I bet it's lovely) but I can totally see why clients would prefer to buy non professional polishes.

My boss uses Rimmel fast dry top coat. She paints on a coat every morning before she leaves the house and is dry by the time she is in the car. Her nails stay chip free for over a week. Some people couldn't be bothered with the fuss but she is happy with the process and the price.

I just painted a clients nails with Vinylux and she asked if it could be bought in shops, when I explained that it can only be purchased via a professional and that I could order some - she asked how much so I told her and that she would also need to buy the top coat and she was like "oh ok", I tried to explain the difference and how so many cheap brands copycat products and said how CND is like a designer brand when it comes to nails - but I think the price and the fact of having to also buy a topcoat put her off!

It's such a shame

I have to say I am excited about this product, they hype and the excitement made me put in a half decent order but I am struggling to drum up the enthusiasm I have for the product in clients. I had a charity event on Sunday, did nails for 5 hours using Vinylux, raved about the benefits but only sold one colour and topcoat. I have told all of my Shellac ladies and sold a few. Not sure how else to push it. Have used all of my social media too but to clients it's "just another polish".

Any ideas in how else to push it?

It's not dissimilar to the Orly versus any cheap varnish. Some will always buy cheap, and sometimes cheap is good. I use Vinylux to give my clients the latest product available. If they want to buy it as well, then great result!

I've got Vinylux in to add as a service not to retail.
I don't really have a client base (only 2 regulars so far) & just the odd random few.

I can see why people like to do cheap but I wish Vinylux was out ages ago, it would have saved me a fortune in polishes, I could never do 2 coats of polish as it would always dent or I'd catch it on something.

I suppose what we as techs can give is a really good looking set of painted nails. The times I see rotten chipped polish on women and girls makes me cringe :Scared:

Can you not sell it via your website as well?

I use Vinylux in my mani's and pedis. If a client wants to buy a particular shade from me then they can. I do a lot of pedicures and most of my pedi clients have regular polish on their toes as it's easier to remove themselves.
Also I have been asked for a particular shade of polish I have used in the past so they can touch up while on holiday etc. It's a good retail item. The fact that they can't buy it in the shops is even better.
I don't push vinylux onto my shellac clients, their a different clientel altogether iygwim. :biggrin:

Some people buy their bread in asda, some in gail’s. The packaging, ingredients, marketing, taste, price & customer base will be entirely different even though both products are bread.

The vast majority of my clients & I would never buy a beauty product from a chemist. I would never buy Rimmel products - however much people raved about them. I think £10 for a polish is the perfect price point for an impulse buy & very appealing. The girls at your work evidently feel it is too steep.

Rimmel has aimed their price points & colours at the low end of the beauty market. CND has aimed their superior product with more refined colours at the mid price market - for it isn’t in the price range of chanel/dior polish etc which people are always happy to pay a premium for & chips terribly.

Different brands, different products, different customer base. Simple. I would be interested to hear your service prices because if a £10 polish, or 2 for £16, deters your clients I wonder what you charge generally? I would suspect you are underselling your expertise.

We sell a lot of polish. Vinylux has sold itself & the Jessica polishes I have been selling successfully for years are in the same price bracket. I don’t really market them. I don’t feel the need to lecture people about the attributes. If people ask I answer honestly. My customers know I only stock products I am happy to endorse & that the products will perform as advertised. Vinylux sells itself. But equally not everyone has taste & disposable income.

Last edited:
I'm mobile so have lots of different clientele, my treatment average is £25 an hour so by no means cheap.

One thing you have confused me about is the two for £16, thought top coat was also £9.95.

I'm just going to keep promoting it especially through my facebook and to clients that have it applied during treatments and hopefully it will sell.

As one can't work without the other, the recommended price for the 2 is £15.95, so I think I have read on here!

(I do nails part time.)

At my 9 to 5 job, I have some colleagues who say, "nothing but cheap stuff on my nails". and they run around with chipped, peeling nail polish on their nails for weeks. I also have colleagues who love the idea of Shellac but want to do it themselves because they can't afford professional manicures so often. And since Shellac is for pro use only, it's not for them. They've been talking about getting the OPI gel color or the Sally Hansen ones, so I talked to them about Vinylux. These girls would be happy to buy it. And then of course I have colleagues who would only ever go to a pro because doing your own nails "is so tacky".

I don't think any nail product is really meant for 'everybody'. You just have to find the right fit.

Latest posts

Back