Rio....branching out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Skin Day

Reaction score
I was flicking though the Makro (big wholesale store selling...well....just about everything!) catalogue and noticed two brand new Rio kits! Well as you can imagine, I could hardly contain my excitement....*ahem*:green:

Rio are now offering 'Blue Light Tooth Whitening Kit' and 'Salon Laser Hair Removal Kit'.

As I have never tried any of Rio's products or equipment (thank the Lord) I couldn't possibly comment on the quality of such items....but I dread to think who's buying them to inflict whitening and lasering on themselves and others....

Has anyone else seen these kits about? I haven't checked eBay yet, but I imagine there's hundreds for sale on there....

whatever next:cry: ?

DIY cosmetic surgery?????:irked:

I think QVC had some laser thing the other day, didn't even bother to look. I mean why would salons pay £20-30K for equipment when a little kit costing 40 quid will do the same thing :!: ... cos it's crap and they're ripping people off!

hahahaha great ! can you imagin calling the paramedics because you have just give your self an electric shock due to the latest home epilation kit ! to be honest with you i think its a really silly idea from RIO , When i bought the UV gel nail kit from them when i was starting out it was awful , the uv lamp wasnt strong enough and the products that came with it were useless.

Im sticking with the salon !
what ever next RIO ??????????????:rolleyes:

I think QVC had some laser thing the other day, didn't even bother to look. I mean why would salons pay £20-30K for equipment when a little kit costing 40 quid will do the same thing :!: ... cos it's crap and they're ripping people off!

I saw this one Sass. The girl that was demsontrating it had said if the current is too strong just turn it down. £95 including p+p is a bit expensive.

Why would you want to do it yourself when you can get a professional who knows what they're doing.

I agree QVC and other companies are ripping people off, and taking our clients from us when it comes to the skincare/make-up products.

Isn't Rio that same company selling supossed all natural hair products that was taking peeps hair out by the handful some years ago???? :irked:

Edited to add...
This is what I found when I searched....I would like to know if this is the same company you guys are referring to:

When consumers notify FDA of problems with cosmetics, the agency evaluates evidence on a case-by-case basis and determines if follow-up is needed, says Allen Halper, an FDA consumer safety officer. FDA looks for patterns of complaints or unusual or severe reactions. The agency may conduct an investigation, and if the evidence supports regulatory action, FDA may request removal of a cosmetic from the market.

Take the example of two popular hair relaxer products by World Rio Corp.--the Rio Naturalizer System (Neutral Formula) and the Rio Naturalizer System with Color Enhancer (Black/Licorice). After receiving complaints about these products in November and December of 1994, FDA warned the public against using them. Consumers complained of hair loss, scalp irritation, and discolored hair.

In December 1994, the World Rio Corp., Inc. of Los Angeles, Calif., announced that it stopped sales and shipments of the product. But reports indicated that the company continued to take orders, and the California Department of Health also stepped in to stop sales. In January of 1995, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles filed a seizure action against these products on behalf of FDA. By then, the agency had received more than 3,000 complaints about the Rio products.

I think the whole thing is a huge insult to us professionals,who will take responsibility when somebody seriously injurs themselves?There will be lots of court cases like the one with that fat guy that accused Mcdonalds for making him fat because of their unhealthy food.If someone can sue somebody for that then Goodness knows what cases are going to be thrown at Rio and similar companies .I think we should just all wait for it to happen cause it will,I'm sure of it.

i went to sallys the other week and they are now selling rio products i was shocked i thought they only sold for us professionals
what do you think of that then. name 1 of them the gas cilander for air brush

Before training i got a few of the rio products, uv nails which nearly put me off doing nails totally as it was s**t, the spray tanning kit which just left me looking filthy for 1 day as it washed off fairly easily ( thank god for small mercys ), the art stamping kit that does not work at all, the kit of stripping polishs which to be fair i do use as they arnt that bad but they cant go too wrong with these and the nails air brush kit which to be honest i havnt even opened because i was so disapointed with the other products that i cant even be bothered with it, thankfully i didnt pay for any of this s**t they were all gifts from my well intentioned boyfriend bless him, what can i say he does have an excuse he is after all he is a MALE :hug:

i went to sallys the other week and they are now selling rio products i was shocked i thought they only sold for us professionals
what do you think of that then. name 1 of them the gas cilander for air brush

I heard Sally's now sell to the public. I never went there much anyway, as I think that they are totally overpriced!!! :green: They are ok for the odd bits and bobs like orange sticks etc - but I wont be going there again.

I think its disgusting that Rio are allowed to sell these types of things, surely they must have some form of insurance from somewhere to protect them if something goes wrong and a customer complains? I just cant see how they are allowed to sell things like it.

Yes sallys do sell to the general public which I think is terrible. They are happy to sell a professional wax unit and other proffesional products to people who are untrained, unqualified and putting themselves at risk not to mention anyone else they think they can play act at being a therapist on. I for one will not buy from sallys. Yes they are overpriced but we as therapists are undervalued for the custom we have given them over the years. Lets see how long it is before someone is seriously injured. I do know that professional companies are taking their ranges out of Sallys due to this hopefully more will follow.

I cant wait for the Rio home kit of do it yourself permenant makeup!!!!:eek:

Its probably only a matter of time! OMG- imagine the eyebrows! - and lip liner!

or the Rio home kit for colonic irrigation:eek: .

Teri x

or the Rio home kit for colonic irrigation:eek: .

Teri x
oooh lovely!!!!
the really worrying thing is that pple will buy them and use them too!!

oooh lovely!!!!
the really worrying thing is that pple will buy them and use them too!!

You're probably right!!

Not me though mate! :lol:

Teri x:hug:

Or the rio dermabrasion kit. Or is there one already?

They did have the rio eyelash perm kit and airbrush make-up - but I havent seen them anymore in Argos.

The Rio piercing kit Ouch :eek:

Latest posts

Back