Roaccutane

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexi

Reaction score
Hi

I have been advised by my dermatologist to go on a course of Roaccutane.

I have done some research with mixed results.

Thought the lovely geeks on here may be able to shed some light on this for me!?

Thanks

Becki xxx

Hi

I have been advised by my dermatologist to go on a course of Roaccutane.

I have done some research with mixed results.

Thought the lovely geeks on here may be able to shed some light on this for me!?

Thanks

Becki xxx

Hi bexi!
I was on roaccutane for 4 months. But Had to stop it because i caught glandular fever which effects your liver as can roaccutane.
Anyhow in those 4 months luckily it had cleared up my skin problems.
If you decide to go on it, the one thing i will say is when they take the blood samples from you which they will do regularly while on the medication. Make sure they actually check there is no change in your bloods!
One thing was missed with my blood tests. I was seeing the dermatogogist for my appointments and sometimes a nurse. They check your bloods ONLY THEN will they give you a repeat prescription if no problems arise. Over the 4 months i was on them i had several colds and even the flu, which seemed odd when i look back as you arnt often ill that many times over a couple of months!
I asked my nurse at the doctors to print out all of the blood test results she had taken while on roaccutane and it actually showed my white blood count had been effected and lowered over the time I was taking the tablets. Now whether or not this was actually linked to roaccutane or whether it contributed in me catching glandular fever i do not know.

As for clearing up your skin, it works. With side effects though sadly.
If you want any questions answered that you may have .. ask away :)

Did you suffer any depression??

Also how often do u have to have blood tests? When they took blood last time it took an hour and they didnt get enough so obviusly giving blood is a bit of a trial for me!!!

Would u recommend it? I was all up for it but have spoken and read about it and I'm strarting to have second thoughts

Becki xxx

No I didnt suffer with any kind of depression.

My blood was taken once a month if i remember rightly. My nurse was excellent at taking blood. I cant even see my veins! So i was kind of lucky with this part.

I have heard recently they are wanting to more research into the side effects of roaccutane. But all that said, my skin was pretty awful. I suffered with acne from the age of 13 and it constantly effected me. It was a last resort after trying everything under the sun. I wanted it gone!
I guess It depends how bad you feel your skin is.
I didnt like the side effects of dry skin, my lips cracked. And it did scare me a little that if i fell pregnant it may result in me having a termination as it causes severe damage to an unborn baby. They do do a pregnancy test every time you do back to the dermatogogist.

Is you skin quite bad if you dont mind me asking?

Hiya
I was on Roaccutance about 10 years ago...
I don't remember having my blood tested except for before I started the course, which I think was a liver function test.
I don't remember any depression.
The side effect I do remember is being completely dried out - everywhere! It was fantastic not to have a greasy face but I also had cracked lips and my nose kept bleeding. My arms were completely scaly, I had to slather myself in moisturiser (I used Vaseline Intensive Care 'Dermacare'). I'm also convinced it dried my joints out, I felt more like 98 than 28.
Anyhow, it was great while it lasted, my skin looked fantastic which made me feel great, unfortunately within a couple of weeks of finishing the course, the spots and greasinesss came back, but my dermatologist told me I was very unlucky as for most people it is a cure.
If I was in your shoes, I would probably go for it :)

Hi,
I took Accutane for 6 months.Best thing I ever did! I had always had terrible cystic acne and it was sometimes painful. I too didn't care for the side effects (very dry lips,eyes and nose) I used eye drops by baush and laumb and a good lip balm to help that a bit.I also had blood tests every month and had to use 2 forms of birth control while taking the pills. After a few months my triglycerides shot up and my doc made me change my diet to NO sugar and NO fat before I could resume my dose. So,I also lost about 25 pounds (which was great) I never had any depression as I was happy I was losing weight and clearing my face at the same time!!! I guess if a person was predisposed to depression it could effect them that way? Good luck in making your decision.

its quite severe in the areas it is in. That being round my mouth and chin, makes eating/talking difficult at the worst of times. The rest of my skin is very uneven texture wise and i get the odd outbreak.

I'm not overly distressed by it, but usually it goes and comes back. But this llast bout has been going on for well over a month now and the dermatologist is concerned about scarring.

I wasn't really concerned about going on it, but then I started reading people's accounts and am now a little horrified.

I thought people would give a more trusted opinon on here!

Becki xxx

My sister used it with great results (about 4yrs ago) - not sure how long she was on it for though. She had really bad skin - almost grey in appearnace because of all the conjestion under the skin.

Shortly after she had finished her course of it we heard it was now banned because it was making people depressed?? she never got depressed only suffered dry skin and eyes

It does dry your skin out loads (all over your body) and a few years down the line she does still suffer from dry and itchy skin. Very dry lips and bleeding nose. slather on the E45!

She had a few large spots like cysts - which it didnt clear so she had those removed at the hospital - they physically had to cut them out, i remember she came home with stitches all over her face - but the 'under the skin' ones which were the worst it worked a treat on and they haven't come back

Speak to your dermatologist - the one my sister went to was rwally helpful cos i went to her appointments with her. xx

One of my best friends had a course of Roaccutaine about 7 years ago, her skin is still amazingly clear. She suffered no depression, but the usual dryness etc. She had to wait until 6 months after her last treatment to be waxed again.
I think if you go on the net to hear about side effects of drugs you will naturally hear the worst stories.:eek: Those who have found the results good with not too many bad side effects won't often post. It's a bit like bad customer service, you're more likely to tell your friends about receiving it than good service.
Be guided by your consultant, at least try it and see how you feel. If it isn't for you, you don't have to continue taking it. By the way, what did the consultant say the problem was? Was it Rosacea, like it sounded or another type of acne problem? Hope everything works out for you. Keep us informed in the journals section.:hug:

I would go for it !

I never suffered depression either, I was so chuffed that my skin had improved so much it would of taken a hell of a lot to dampen my spirits !

The only side effects I had was dryness on face (which i actually loved as never had shiny patches) dry lips which I still have now 4 years later & a really, really dry nose I actually had to put vaseline up there every day ! Oh and dry scalp which again I was really happy about as normally its oily.

The spots I had were almost like boils around the chin area and could actually last for months :irked::irked: I was put on a double course of roaccutene and had no problems until about a year ago, I am now begging my gp to send me back to dermatologist for roaccutene, i love the stuff :lol:

I would go for it !

I never suffered depression either, I was so chuffed that my skin had improved so much it would of taken a hell of a lot to dampen my spirits !

The only side effects I had was dryness on face (which i actually loved as never had shiny patches) dry lips which I still have now 4 years later & a really, really dry nose I actually had to put vaseline up there every day ! Oh and dry scalp which again I was really happy about as normally its oily.

The spots I had were almost like boils around the chin area and could actually last for months :irked::irked: I was put on a double course of roaccutene and had no problems until about a year ago, I am now begging my gp to send me back to dermatologist for roaccutene, i love the stuff :lol:

I would definitely take it again, although tbh honest my skin has improved greatly over the last couple of years, still very oily but only the occasional boil, so I don't think they would give it to me :cry:

this is exactly my thoughts how can you be depressed when your skin is actually clearing up??

so no one had aches and pains - joint pain?

becki xx

I didnt have any joint problems. I think it depends on the individual with what side effects you have.The dryness irritated me the most, and has stayed with me. although i could go days without washing my hair ... because it wasnt oily anymore! it was great!

Im sure you'll be fine. if any problems do arise, just stop taking it.

I did have joint pain. I took something for it, might have been cod liver oil. It wasn't the end of the world x

My poor little sister had to take roaccutane and the results here absolutly horrifying, im not trying to put you off as each person is obviously different, but i didnt even recognise my sister after taking it, we had to literally take her to bed, she was crying in pain, her back hunched over, some days she could hardly walk, she was MADE to have pregnancy tests every single month even though she is a devote christian and is waiting til she is married it was a terrifying and terrible experience and her acne is still terrible.
However as you will see some geeks on here have sailed through the course, good luck sweetie with whatever you decide as i said im not trying toput you off but i tell everyone i know about this terrible experience as it literally scared the life out o me xx

hi

just to let you know this thread was from last july! I have been off it now for about 5 months and am thrilled with the results!

becki xxx

Thats great news! I used it in my early 20's, like you was really pleased with the results. Mind you I wasn't prepared for the number of lip balms I was going to go through!!

Mat

My son is taking it now for acne. My eldest son also had it for approx 1 year.

Neither of them have experienced any problems, both of their skins have improved 100% and my eldest son never had any of the skin problems back.

As for mood swings, difficult to tell with teenagers:) but certainly nothing major.

hehe yes i was very moody!!!:eek:

Thanks chick for telling us how it went for you - its always nice to see how things conclude for people. Delighted that it worked for you !:)

Latest posts

Back