Road closure to affect our salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
We've just found out that the road our salon is on will be closed from the end of this month to probably the first week of July!

This is the main and only road to our parade of shops not to mention THE busiest road in our area, the diversion will take people 6 miles out of their way not to mention the road in which the diversion will lead is already a nightmare for traffic jams.

Our council have said that it won't affect the parade but that's an outright lie, you wont be able to get to it unless you're within walking distance.

I am absolutely beside myself as having the road closed for over 3 months could ruin our business and I can't think of anyway to protect it.

Put a formal complaint to the council and get local councillors on board their great with stuff like that, there must have been some warning period given already tho they don't usually do stuff like that without putting up posters on lamposts they legally have to give time for people to object.

You would be in your rights to request a reduction on your business rates, I think a similar thing happened locally and traders got rates reduced for the period.

Look at your advertising and try and push it. Imagine you're off the beaten track and try and make people aware that you're there all the time.

You have my sympathies because it's a really crappy situation x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Everyone is up in arms as there has been no notice what so ever, I found out from someone from the parish council posting it on facebook. If I hadn't been sent the Facebook link no one would be any the wiser, I have no idea how the council is getting away with it!!

Shop owners and residents have been phoning the council and so they sent the project manager out to see the shop owners Friday and sent letters which arrived today to the residents.

Worst thing is Vic we are not of the beaten track, its a major road which gets ridiculously busy, when they close it, it's going to cause absolute havoc as the only way to get back to our parade or your destination using this road is a massive 6 plus mile diversion.

We've all asked about, help / compensation but apparently if it was new work being carried out we would be entitled but as it isn't we're not.

Everyone is up in arms as there has been no notice what so ever, I found out from someone from the parish council posting it on facebook. If I hadn't been sent the Facebook link no one would be any the wiser, I have no idea how the council is getting away with it!!

Shop owners and residents have been phoning the council and so they sent the project manager out to see the shop owners Friday and sent letters which arrived today to the residents.

Worst thing is Vic we are not of the beaten track, its a major road which gets ridiculously busy, when they close it, it's going to cause absolute havoc as the only way to get back to our parade or your destination using this road is a massive 6 plus mile diversion.

We've all asked about, help / compensation but apparently if it was new work being carried out we would be entitled but as it isn't we're not.

Vic was suggesting you think like your off the beaten track for advertising, not that you are off the track right now.

Start some advertising before the closing of the road and during to ensure you keep your name out there for everyone to see.

Vic was suggesting you think like your off the beaten track for advertising, not that you are off the track right now.

Start some advertising before the closing of the road and during to ensure you keep your name out there for everyone to see.

We do quite a lot of advertising which has been very successful for us, we're a busy salon, people come far and wide for some of our treatments. We are trying to get as much publicity as possible as in "support your local business's whilst this road closure is happening", however people who do not live in the immediate area are not going to be able to get to us by car, we've also been told parking is going to be restricted so unfortunately if by some miracle they made it to us there will be no parking, this also includes the flats and shop keepers on our parade.

We have major business's and industrial parks in our area, they've all had meetings and are trying to set up a lot of their office based staff from home as the 6 mile diversion is around another 45 minutes drive and is very congested on a normal day.

I rent a chair in a salon but we're going thru same thing at the moment!, roads been closed as there putting up a flood scheme at river! It's been going on for 18 months. It doesn't really affect our appointments we just make sure we keep advertising, let them know about it all etc! Xxx

Latest posts

Back