Rock Star Nails - Where am I going wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdnaples

Reaction score
I don't know what i do that i don't get the real glossy smooth shine with rockstar toes and fingers, where am i going wrong ?

This is what i did....
I removed cuticle and buffed nail then i cleansed it to remove dust. I dehydrated, applied gelish structure , cured then added glitter, tidied up edges then cured again then added gelish top coat and cured for like 3 mins but still they feel rough and not too glossy :( Help am i doing something wrong. I feel i am doing a lot more work and not getting the correct results. I am new to this but not happy with how it turns out :(
I have to be doing something wrong !

please help !

Michelle

Normally when I do glitter nails or toes this is how I apply:

Thin coat Clear gel (bio sculpture)
Cure 2min
thin coat Clear or color gel (bio sculpture)
Sprinkle glitter
Tap off excess
Cure 2-3min (depending or light or dark glitter)
Brush off extra glitter with a stiff brush
Clear gel (bio sculpture)
Cure 2 min
Top coat gel (Gelish)

Maybe you need another layer in between the glitter and top coat to help cover the glitter completely so it's not rough. Brushing off the extra after curing also helps get loose glitter off that could potentially stick up and make the nail rough. Hth.

Check out the Nail Angel website, there's an excellent video on there which I used to help me! I use NSI for mine so this is exactly what I follow but it might still be useful :) Mine stay on as long as I want them there, I've had them on for 4 weeks and only took them off because I was bored of the colour :)

Do you have the web address for nail angel? X

My steps with gelish

Prepare the nails (cuticles /dehydrate)

Gelish foundation never tryed with the struture gel , make sure you swipe the free edge, also make sure to always leave that tiny free margin or you will get glitter stuck all up in the side walls.

Cure

Then dry brush if you do (I never do)

Add a layer of color , temper to swipe free edge, I normally use simple sheer , transparent pink.

Cure

I put some glitter into a clean/dry paint pallet so I'm not dipping back into the glitter pot .

Now to get the flat , foil look this is what I do (it's different for the more textured look)

Then I use a flat square brush
(flatter the better) To pick up the glitter and lay it where I want it to go , when it is where I want it I then do lots of little presses all over to get it to stay where i want it ,

(this is pressing it into the inhibition layer like fingernail fixer (holly) dose it in the videos, if you haven't seen them you need to.)
Once it's where I want it I clean the brush off and press it flat again , I then remove excess glitter by brushing over the surface of each nail in in long strokes but with out repeating the same area or it will start to drag glitter off,

You Shuld find this way it will be beautiful and smooth ,

I then use the side of the brush to make sure there's no glitter sitting on the tip of the free edge , and if there's lots in the side walls I will use a tiny dotting tool to get it.

Top coat nice and thin with the gelish top it off , going over that tiny free margin and swiping the free edge,

Cure

To the top it off again if needed,

Hope this helps
Ceri x

d42b4b58-4108-60e3.jpg

d42b4b58-4137-baed.jpg

Www.lilmissbuffit.com
Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

I use shellac but im sure gelish will have the same result...After the glitter I add top coat and cure then add another layer of top coat and cure...should make them smooth and glossy just one coat would leave them still feeling rough x

I do two coats of top.

Thanks everyone for the great advice:) I was practising at 7.30am this morning ha ha ...it got the better of me so i had to get it right before im set loose!

I did what i normaly do with Gelish....once i got to the point where i cured the glitter and it comes out rough i added the top coat cured for 2 mins then i cleansed it and then light buff, added another top coat and BINGO ! It worked it was sparkly and shiny just like Gelish ! :) Maybe this is not what other's do but it def worked for me. I was delighted :) now i feel confident in the end result doing it this way.

Thanks again everyone :)
Michelle :)

Just a tip, Sometimes when buffing, even lightly, you may accidentally buff some of the color off the glitter pieces resulting in silver flecks here and there. I found this more with the metallic glitters rather than the transparent glitters obviously:) I used to buff but now I just add top coat right on top of the cured clear over the glitter cure. :)

Have a look at the 'fingernail fixer'.
Holly is a CND educator. She has posted video tutorials on rockstar toes.
You can view them on salon geek or visit her facebook page.

x x x

Latest posts

Back