Rock stars looking dull

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sian H

Reaction score
Done a few rock stars with shellac, just put the glitter onto the tacky layer with a gel brush, and top coat, but I think it looks quite dull! I'm comparing to when I use calgel and make a glitter paste, as this looks really sparkly.
I'm using the same glitter too.
Am I doing something wrong x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Could you talk us through your exact process - are you burnishing the glitter or just pouring it over. What type of glitter are you using?

I've never had a problem with rockstars looking dull.

My favourite rockstar technique at the moment is holo foils mixed with glitters - also holographic. It's quite mesmerising!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1379238217528.jpg
    1379238217528.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 598
  • 1379238280453.jpg
    1379238280453.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 605
Sorry I do my pep and base coat, and then a coat of something similar to the glitter, so if I was using silver glitter, I would do a coat of silver chrome first, then cure for 2 mins, then take a dry gel brush, dip into glitter and then pat it on gently, then when all the nail is covered I burnish it in, up and down side to side.
Then top coat.
I use the irresistible glitters and some I order from calgel x

I do the same, the only difference is I use an old fluffy eyeshadow brush and dip that into the pot of glitter and apply to the nail. I do all 5 nails then go back and brush off the excess.

Love the holographic glitters from Irresistible.

Attachments

• 1379240221316.jpg
    1379240221316.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 525
  • 1379240229923.jpg
    1379240229923.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 512
  • 1379240239114.jpg
    1379240239114.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 509
Must just be me then lol
I'm stumped x

I always do 2 layers of top coat when doing rockstars.

Must just be me then lol
I'm stumped x

Could you be burnishing in too much so that it gives it sort of a foil effect and make it looks all 1 colour and sort of flat?

Could you talk us through your exact process - are you burnishing the glitter or just pouring it over. What type of glitter are you using?

My favourite rockstar technique at the moment is holo foils mixed with glitters - also holographic. It's quite mesmerising!

That blue ones gorgeous I love it!!

Laura💋

I think i understand what your saying

I have noticed this on glitter such as black!
I dont brush my glitter on i sprinkle it over x
All other colours are fab and sparkly
Just the black x
Thats why i bought the black glitter ibd just gel x :)

Could you be burnishing in too much so that it gives it sort of a foil effect and make it looks all 1 colour and sort of flat?

Ye mine look flat and more metallic than glitter x

Ye mine look flat and more metallic than glitter x

Burnishing in too much or taking too much of the glitter off before top coating. I use my zillionaire over glitter before top coat as I think it looks naff on its own so I use it for this to avoid glitter in top coat- allows me to leave alot if the glitter on the nail xxx

Could you talk us through

Hi linzi do you mind me asking what your technique is for using glitters and foils together please? Thanks!

Yes Linzi, I'd like more info as well. I love glitter and foil so much I can never decide which one to go with but I was afraid both together would look weird. Do you foil first and then glitter in the bare spots?

As for the original question, I also use an eyeshadow blending brush for glitter. Don't burnish too much and use a coat of VIP or zillionaire before you top coat. The only time I really scrub it in is for the occasional client who really hates texture.

I use a fluffy brush also and pat it in then brush off excess. Then 2 layers of top coat.
What glitter ru using? Xx

i've used glitter and foils together before, gives real depth to the nails, randomly place the foil onto the cured shellac, then use the glitter, it will stay where the foil has not taken, then TC. hth's x

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 303
Try to rub the glitter in, only a few times and give it a light brush off. Let me know if that makes it any better? Xx

Thanks for your advice everyone. I will have another play tonight :)
Also really liking the foil and glitter too it looks fab! Going to try that one too :)
Feel free to post more pics for inspiration x

When you make a gel/glitter paste or mix l&p and glitter it will be more blingy because your using less gltter and it isn't laying flat, it is in random position in the gel/l&p plus more light can get to it as the glitter is not pushed all together, hope I'm explaining this ok, when your out on top of the nail and burnish, your pushing the glitter flat and together so less space for light to reach.

One way is to do 2 layers of thin glitter so not so close together, so add glitter and coat n cure and then do t again, also if you use silver VIP over as the holding oat and then cure then topcoat it can really give its depth.

In if, little finger is just glitter, others 2 are the same glitter with silver VIP over then topcoat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Oh wow you can really tell the difference! I don't have VIP yet so that's on the list for olympia :)
Thankyou x

No probs happy to help :)

Latest posts

Back