Rockstar: Advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celebalook

Reaction score
I have done 7 sets of shellac nail rockstars for girls aged 16 for proms this week. I did 2 girls on Wednesday just gone one of the girls mum sat there at my house whilst i did them both the other girl was her daughters best friend. Anyways i saw there nails on friday whilst they were in there limos for the prom and all nails looked fine. Whilst at the beauty show NEC today gets a text saying " 1 girls nails totally all come of and they didn't pull them they lifted and just came straight of, ( she is a nail biter and had very short nails, she has horses and lives on a farm, i gave her solar oil and aftercare advice a nd strictly said gloves in all cases with farm etc, other girls nails all fine except 2 little nails starting to lift?
I just think it is funny how it is 4 days later, what would cause them to all lift and just come off? i am now doubting myself even though i have done shellac for several months on clients and also myself weekly.

I am thinking of doing the set again free of charge and checking the other girls nails so i don't get bad mouthed.
any advice what could be the reason etc

I had this myself with a lady who just could not keep the gelish on and like you I started to lose confidence in myself and it really knocked me. I did her nails again for free the second time- but then she was a friend so it may be slightly different. she managed to keep them on a little bit longer than the 24 hours she managed last time but still they came off.

My friend had very oily nails and I wondered if this was connected...

However you are always going to get clients that will pick,peel, refuse to put oil on, not wear gloves for cleaning etc... and are not willing to put in the effort of aftercare. and it maybe that it just does not suit everyone.

Compare this one lady to all the others who have had no problem with your application and work out a percentage... you may find she is 1 out of 100. Have faith in yourself:D

I too have horses and wear Shellac and wear gloves as you advised....But took them off to spray them with fly spray which contain the dreaded Deet ! Ruined my Shellac.
Could ask her if she was using flyspray ?

Don't mean to sound stupid but why would she be using fly spray when with horses etc (not a horsey person lol)

can anyone else offer some advice please, there are many that use Shellac out there. thanks for help so far

can anyone else offer some advice please, there are many that use Shellac out there. thanks for help so far

What advice can we give? How can we know what your client has been doing or using around her nails? One thing is for sure, working with horses is not what anyone would call normal wear and tear ... and Shellac lasts the way we say with normal wear and tear. Adding glitter to it can also shorten the life of the service, especially if you use too much.

PS You use fly spray around horses, because horses attract horse flies which give nasty bites! lol You use products for various things that should mean you use gloves.

I wouldn't even entertain a complaint from someone who is using their hands roughly. And on a nail biter I would not guarantee anything at all! In fact, I would have told them before they left the salon that their Shellac might not wear well unless the AC advice was scrupulously followed. No sale of Solar Oil to the client? No use of Solar Oil by the Client? Who knows. I don't believe nail biters when they say they don't pick .. because they do.

Thanks Geeg
I even gave her a free sample of solar oil to use, i feel it is because she bites her nails ( as i am also a nail biter so know all the tricks of that issue lol) although i have religiously had Shellac on my nails for 4 months now and no chips, falling of etc, just weak nails and splitting.

Well i have rang twice to arrange to see the nails and assess them but had no response so far, so will just wait and try not to worry about if the other girls nails are ok and beat myself up.

Thanks Geeg
I even gave her a free sample of solar oil to use, i feel it is because she bites her nails ( as i am also a nail biter so know all the tricks of that issue lol) although i have religiously had Shellac on my nails for 4 months now and no chips, falling of etc, just weak nails and splitting.

Well i have rang twice to arrange to see the nails and assess them but had no response so far, so will just wait and try not to worry about if the other girls nails are ok and beat myself up.

From one ex biter to another .. I too understand all the issues :biggrin: . My nails are just fab with Shellac too (3 years and no problems whatsoever).

I think rockstar glitter can make Shellac more brittle if you mix it in. If you rub it into the top of the inhibition layer, so it leaves a smooth surface, it lasts better (as per Holly's V3 instructions).

I've also started using pigment and have fallen in love with the endless colour possibilities with that ... very easy and very quick and not messy either.

I would not worry .. you have enough ammunition ... glad she had Solar Oil but did she USE the Solar Oil. My guess is, no. to me the most important thing is that you tell clients straight up at the appointment that if they are a biter you will guarantee nothing! If they ae looking after horses that is not normal wear and tear! So much easier when they know up front and do not have silly expectations. Saves you loads of hassle.

Yes Geeg, definately learnt a few new things such as no guarantee with nail biters and horses etc for my future clientele. thanks

Just wanted to say you are not along . . . . I've not been having many problems with Shellac, in fact I've only had problems on 2 clients and they both had . . . . yep, very short nails (neither admit to being nibblers but you never know). People sometimes think it's not a very grown up thing to admit to!

I wondered if it could be that they were so short that I'd not sealed the free edge properly, but I know I took extra care because of this .... it's my guess they licked/sucked the free edge off lol and it went from there!:wink2:

Just wondered if this might be the case with your ladies.

Yes Blossom. it was difficult to seal the free edge but like you i made sure i did and even got it on the skin and then swiped with disperse on my orangewood stick, guess i will have to redo if she contacts me that is as i cannot afford for her to bad mouth me, still feel sad though and worried incase it happens again.

I have a couple of clients who struggle but then I have lots of others that don't one of my girls only comes every 4 weeks and they are perfect.only regrowth I do them all exactly the same way lol. Like it or not when they say they don't pick they usually do xxxx

From.one biter to another. Per my own experience, when her nails grow enough to give a decent free edge, they will last Longer. And as for really oily nail beds... Me... I get about a week and a half out of the.... Which is much better than a few days w regular polish. I know its just me tho, cause my clients can go a month or more.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

From one ex biter to another .. I too understand all the issues :biggrin: . My nails are just fab with Shellac too (3 years and no problems whatsoever).

I think rockstar glitter can make Shellac more brittle if you mix it in. If you rub it into the top of the inhibition layer, so it leaves a smooth surface, it lasts better (as per Holly's V3 instructions).

I've also started using pigment and have fallen in love with the endless colour possibilities with that ... very easy and very quick and not messy either.

I would not worry .. you have enough ammunition ... glad she had Solar Oil but did she USE the Solar Oil. My guess is, no. to me the most important thing is that you tell clients straight up at the appointment that if they are a biter you will guarantee nothing! If they ae looking after horses that is not normal wear and tear! So much easier when they know up front and do not have silly expectations. Saves you loads of hassle.

hi geeg sorry for my naivety but what is pigment? iv heard it used a few times now and am intreaged!

hi geeg sorry for my naivety but what is pigment? iv heard it used a few times now and am intreaged!

Good question, I want to know more too..

Pigment is a very very fine milled powder used for eyeshadows and all manner of color additives in cosmetics and many other things like polish etc. Pigment is colour.

In some ways it's nothing new, and we have been adding pigment to gels and polymers for ages to change the colour, but there are some super super fine additives coming to use with Shellac which are really fun to use to create different designs and colours ... Of course from CND as you would expect, the quality is superb and very safe and approved for use. I've been having fun.

I personally have had a couple of my rockstar (toe nails) come off in a oner recently, once when I stubbed my toe badly and once when I had literally had it done that day but I think the glitter was too thick so will watch that.

Never had a problem as such with finger nails and I am in lotions and potions all day long.

Looking forward to seeing the pigments at Premier Orlando in a couple of weeks or so.

Thanks for all the advice.
After texting and also leaving a voice message for the client to contact me yesterday still heard nothing?

Just wondering what to do now as this client booked in for x4 shellac and x4 spray tans in 2 weeks time (will she turn up and if she does i would be so nervous) would you ring her again?

Thanks for all the advice.
After texting and also leaving a voice message for the client to contact me yesterday still heard nothing?

Just wondering what to do now as this client booked in for x4 shellac and x4 spray tans in 2 weeks time (will she turn up and if she does i would be so nervous) would you ring her again?

This is business, of course you must ring her again. You must not be nervous. Nails like that are clearly unsuitable for a young girl with bitten nails who looks after horses. She had them and enjoyed them for her prom and that's great. Obviously she is not going to tell her mum that she picked off the coating Mum had just paid for. Another prom expense.

If she continues to ignore you I would send her a message and ask her to confirm her future appointments by a certain date or you will have to cancel them.

Last edited:
I think anything is going to last better on longer nails, I find Gelish lasts 3 weeks no problem on my ladies with longer nails but if the nails are short and not much free edge it's not going to last so long. Even if people don't bite their nails, I find the shorter ones are short because they break/peel etc. in general before they come to me. Nothing is going to last as long on nails like that as on long strong nails. My friend has lovely long nails and has a horse which she mucks out etc twice a day, she also has 2 cleaning jobs and her Gelish lasts for 3 weeks with no chips (and I don't think she puts oil on them.....) I've also got another client who has one hand that got broken in a door when she was young and her fingers are all a bit crooked and her nails. The nails on that hand are shorter than the other and since I've been putting Gelish on the other hand has grown a lot and never chips but the bad hand has a few chips. Proof that it's not as good on shorter nails!

Latest posts

Back