Rockstar-can anyone help, I'm going crazy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOWIE

Reaction score
Hey everybody can any of you please help me.? I have looked through the rockstar posts but still stuggling. I am shellac qualified and loving the foiled look at the minute but just can't get to grips with the rockstar :(
After using my gel brush to scrub the glitter into the cured colour coat, all i get is a foiled look and not a bling glittery look which is what i'm looking for. If i sprinkle it on then it doesn't last so am really at a dead end. So desperate to do it! Just lloked at everones photos and they look so glittery and literally mine just look smooth, flat and foiled. Can anyone please tell me where i'm going wrong and help me. Thanks so much xxx

Is it the glitter ur using? U have to use a really fine one? Thats the only thing i can think of??

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Hey everybody can any of you please help me.? I have looked through the rockstar posts but still stuggling. I am shellac qualified and loving the foiled look at the minute but just can't get to grips with the rockstar :(
After using my gel brush to scrub the glitter into the cured colour coat, all i get is a foiled look and not a bling glittery look which is what i'm looking for. If i sprinkle it on then it doesn't last so am really at a dead end. So desperate to do it! Just lloked at everones photos and they look so glittery and literally mine just look smooth, flat and foiled. Can anyone please tell me where i'm going wrong and help me. Thanks so much xxx

You need to buy holographic glitter. The difference is amazing! It gives a much more dense 3d look. S2 sell them. Hth x

Hiya, using really fine craft glitter but just ordered a sweet squared one to see if theres is any different to mine xx

You need to buy holographic glitter. The difference is amazing! It gives a much more dense 3d look. S2 sell them. Hth x

Thats amazing thanks a bunch hun xxx

You tend to get a more foil effect when u scrub the glitter in if u want more of a 3D effect sprinkle the glitter into the cured colour instead of scrubbing press down an tap then gently brush off excess then proceed with top coats :) hth

don't scrub!
dab , tease , coax the glitter to where you want it ,
when you have it in place gently brush the excess out of the way and top coat by lightly floating the brush over the top .

I wouldn't call the brush i apply with a gel brush its never been used for gel , i also don't over clean it with alcohol. just a quick whipe and dry before i start and then a bit more of a clean to remove glitter at the end .

and fan brush is my course of weapon for carefully smoothing and removing excess,

another thing you can do is use more than one color , you can pre mix the glitter together or use the different colors on the nails maybe in a fade or something , 2 colors alike say 2 shades of red or a gold and a metallic gold with add to the definition of the glitter when mixed in or faded .

picture.php

Please forgive the manky toes :)o) but the holographic glitter will make SUCH a difference! You'll see all the different colours and sparkles when you move your nails.

It's especially important with black and white glitters:

1qrfgx.jpg

thanyou, they are lovely. Have you applied this with a brush and scrubbed it into the colour coat and it still looks that shiney? xx

Thankd for all your tips guys. So just to clarify, do you get any hollographic colour glitter and add it to the colour glitter you want to use or do you buy the 3d glitter in the colour you want already?? Also what colour is the best to use under the glitter as some of my attempts at rockstar have looked patchy and you can see light colours underneath xxx

don't scrub!
when you have it in place gently brush the excess out of the way and top coat by lightly floating the brush over the top .

I wouldn't call the brush i apply with a gel brush its never been used for gel , i also don't over clean it with alcohol. just a quick whipe and dry before i start and then a bit more of a clean to remove glitter at the end .

and fan brush is my course of weapon for carefully smoothing and removing excess,

another thing you can do is use more than one color , you can pre mix the glitter together or use the different colors on the nails maybe in a fade or something , 2 colors alike say 2 shades of red or a gold and a metallic gold with add to the definition of the glitter when mixed in or faded .

picture.php

These look amazing!!!! Totally the look i'm after and defo no more scrubbing for me. Your advice will really help me xxx

don't scrub!

picture.php

Mizzy do you apply the glitter to the inhibition layer or to wet gel/gel polish? These look fantastic hun x

After using my gel brush to scrub the glitter into the cured colour coat, all i get is a foiled look and not a bling glittery look which is what i'm looking for. If i sprinkle it on then it doesn't last so am really at a dead end

Pat, dont rub. Pat, pat, pat :)

Mizzy, those toes look awesome!

Last edited:
don't scrub!

picture.php

Those toes look gorgeous! x

here's the video of pressing down the glitter with the sticky form - it's about 1min 7secs in....

Rock Star Glitter Press: Part 2 of 3, Application - YouTube
I don't have these forms I use a piece of toupee tape (tit tape) as it's a strong adhesive which stays on your finger. I cut it into a circle and leave the backing paper on...

i used to struggle keeping the glitter on but this video changed the way i do rockstars....for the better x

Wow !!!!! I'm in love !!!!

And I too have found a new technique to try thank oooooo 😃😃😃😃

I struggle with the longevity of rockstar and think its because I use too much glitter . This technique doesn't seem to use as much and by 'sandwiching' the glitter it should make it tougher !?????

Thank you cx Claire cx

Wow !!!!! I'm in love !!!!

And I too have found a new technique to try thank oooooo 😃😃😃😃

I struggle with the longevity of rockstar and think its because I use too much glitter . This technique doesn't seem to use as much and by 'sandwiching' the glitter it should make it tougher !?????

Thank you cx Claire cx

which technique ??

which technique ??

Hey luvley, the link you posted to the Young Nails :

Rock Star Glitter Press: Part 2 of 3, Application - YouTube

I have been using The Finger Nailfixer technique but Gregg's video was slightly different and he did a base glitter, then a top coat and another glitter then a top coat, I know he used contrasting colours for a different effect but I guessed it would still work with one colour.

:) xx Claire xx

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to hijack the thread... I did a set of rockstar on Friday and patted the glitter down with both my finger and a brush... I then had to use 3... yes THREE top coats to get a smooth finish! Can anyone explain why this is?
I dont scrub the glitter into the sticky layer as I dont want a foiled look! x

Latest posts

Back