Rockstar - two issues!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleConnor

Reaction score
Hi!
I did my first set of rockstar yesterday, Ive practiced a bit before on my colour displays and also watched loads of tutorials! I use Martha Stewart Glitters! And OPI GelColor is my current system.
1 - My client wanted the white glitter... 'Crystal Fine' I think its called. I did before hand warn my client it may not glitter as well because of the colour, like the black 'Onyx'. Anyway it looked great before the top coat, she loved it. I then added the top coat to one finger to see how it went and it looked terrible it just looked like a bad paint job of a white colour! So in the end we decided not to add a top coat and just leave them which left them very catchy but she didnt mind. Is there anyway at all around this? As now im worried they wont last very long.
2 - Whenever I do my Rockstar the finish is always bumpy. I do a base coat, cure, then either another base coat or a colour and sprinkle the glitter onto that, then press down with a brush and slightly with my finger. I then brush away any excess and cure. I then do two top coats but sometimes you can still feel its slightly bumpy. I have done one top coat before, buffed it down and then did another top coat but I feel like that takes the shine away from the glitter! Can someone help me out? xx

Do base cure, colour coat cure, second colour coat if you feel it's needed, cure, apply glitter to tacky layer and remove excess. Then top coat cure, and 2nd top coat and cure.

With White and black glitters they need to be holographic

Xx

I always get bumpies when i sprinkle the glitter into an uncured layer. Now I always do a color coat, cure, then pick up glitter with a make up brush (any will do) and scrub it into the tacky layer. It makes all the glitter pieces lay flat, so makes it shine more and less/no bumpies!:)

I use shellac to do rockstar and as other person said I use a nail art brush and scrub with nail brush than cure for two minutes than top coat for two minutes and final result is smooth to touch no bumps.

I picked up a tip from youngs nails. Using the centre of a sticky form. Stick to your finger and use it to press in the glitter. Then top coat. Using that method I only ever need to do one top coat. (shellac) hth wend x

Thanks for your replies!
Im quite new to nails and deffo new to Gel Polishes!
When you say scrub into the nail how do you mean?
And do you have recommendations of what brushes to use?
And Wendy Woo whats a Sticky Form?
Sorry if I sound thick! x

Thanks for your replies!
Im quite new to nails and deffo new to Gel Polishes!
When you say scrub into the nail how do you mean?
And do you have recommendations of what brushes to use?
And Wendy Woo whats a Sticky Form?
Sorry if I sound thick! x

Sorry if you're new to nails you prob won't know. Forms are a disposable, moulds used to extend from the the free edge of a nail. It allows you to extend with either acrylic or gel from the the nail edge without using a plastic tip.
It's good because the surface of it is glossy and doesn't stick to the glitter or gel on the nail plate. Any glossy coated paper I guess would do. Instead of using your finger. Hth wend x
If you don't have these

I use a gel brush (which obviously I use just for rockstar)

To scrub the glitter means to really work it into the tacky layer, rather than to just brush it on. This helps to make it smooth and ensure a good coverage. Make sure you're thoroughly removing any excess glitter as this will cause bumpies!

And of course practise makes perfect! :)

Thanks for all your replies!
So does scrubbing it into the tacky layer dull the glitter at all? x

No it doesn't dull the glitter at all:) Rather the opposite because all of the glitter pieces lie flat if you scrub them in so the shine is better than if they all lay askew.

Look at fingernailfixers videos on youtube, she shows 3 methods of doing rockstars, I cant remember which one is the one we are talking about but if you watch them you will find out:)

Hi Chelle,

I find if u scrub the glitter into the nail or press it too hard it creates a foil looking effect. Fine if that's what u like but i prefer a sparkle! I tried a few different methods on my own hand with gelcolor to see which was the best way. I don't think the inhibition layer in gelcolor is tacky enough to stick enough glitter, so I found the best way is: apply base, cure, apply thin colour coat (I used passion to check the glitter was creating an opaque look) then sprinkle glitter over nail, very very gently press glitter onto nail, then use a clean dry brush to brush off excess glitter around the cuticles. Cure this coat, then brush off any loose glitter, apply thin even coat of top coat, cure, apply second thin even coat of top coat, cure.

Xx

Hi Chelle,

I find if u scrub the glitter into the nail or press it too hard it creates a foil looking effect. Fine if that's what u like but i prefer a sparkle! I tried a few different methods on my own hand with gelcolor to see which was the best way. I don't think the inhibition layer in gelcolor is tacky enough to stick enough glitter, so I found the best way is: apply base, cure, apply thin colour coat (I used passion to check the glitter was creating an opaque look) then sprinkle glitter over nail, very very gently press glitter onto nail, then use a clean dry brush to brush off excess glitter around the cuticles. Cure this coat, then brush off any loose glitter, apply thin even coat of top coat, cure, apply second thin even coat of top coat, cure.

Xx

Hi Gemied!
Thats what I was doing! What did you press the glitter down with? I used both a brush and my finger? Maybe im been too gentle and need to push down a bit more!
Also you say brush away excess with brush once cured, wouldnt the cured layer be too tacky to brush over? Like would this affect the tacky layer at all xx

I picked up a tip from youngs nails. Using the centre of a sticky form. Stick to your finger and use it to press in the glitter. Then top coat. Using that method I only ever need to do one top coat. (shellac) hth wend x

here's the video of pressing down the glitter with the sticky form - it's about 1min 7secs in....

Rock Star Glitter Press: Part 2 of 3, Application - YouTube
I don't have these forms I use a piece of toupee tape (tit tape) as it's a strong adhesive which stays on your finger. I cut it into a circle and leave the backing paper on...

Oh wow ,thanks for that;) ,going to try a couple of my nails like that right now,so much tidier way of doing it .:Grope:

Oh wow ,thanks for that;) ,going to try a couple of my nails like that right now,so much tidier way of doing it .:Grope:

and it's so much quicker than tapping the glitter over the nail...:cool:

Latest posts

Back