Room percentage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucyhhart

Reaction score
Hello, I work on a 60/40 percent part time in a salon. When I take the day off I pay £20.00 for the room, is that right or is that for when you pay a weekly fixed rate? I always offer the room to the other therapist so it is in use when I am not there. When I started it was just me and a lady on maternity so I could swap my days but I now can’t as she took on another therapist for my days I’m not there. Thank you

If the other therapist uses the room, do you still get charged?
You probably shouldn’t have agreed to it but there’s nothing to stop your landlord charging you room rent on top of a percentage split if you’re willing to pay it.
As a self employed person, it’s 100% down to you to negotiate and agree to terms that you’re happy with.

If the other therapist uses the room, do you still get charged?
You probably shouldn’t have agreed to it but there’s nothing to stop your landlord charging you room rent on top of a percentage split if you’re willing to pay it.
As a self employed person, it’s 100% down to you to negotiate and agree to terms that you’re happy with.
Thank

Thank you for your reply. Yes I do still pay even if the other therapist is using the room as she says I always have to pay to make it up to 3 days of work every week.
I wasn’t sure if it was right, thank you

Starting this week, tell her you’d like to renegotiate your agreement.
If you’re making money for her when you’re there, then she shouldn’t be trying to squeeze money out of you when you’re not there.
You could try pointing out that if you were renting a flat from her, she can’t charge you rent whilst subletting the flat out to someone else.

Refer to and print out the HMRC sticky thread at the top of the business forum and use this to help you with your negotiations.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

I personally would never do a percentage split .....
If you choose not to come in - the salon owner get's nothing, which is why your salon owner has stipulated a £20.00 charge to cover herself.

I personally would never do a percentage split .....
If you choose not to come in - the salon owner get's nothing, which is why your salon owner has stipulated a £20.00 charge to cover herself.

But the salon owner is letting someone else use the room when the OP isn’t there so presumably is earning ££ from them too.

I read it that the OP, (not the salon owner) offers it to the other therapist,......There's no mention that the 'other Therapist' takes her up on her offer!

I read it that the OP, (not the salon owner) offers it to the other therapist,......There's no mention that the 'other Therapist' takes her up on her offer!

OP said in her opening post:
When I started it was just me and a lady on maternity so I could swap my days but I now can’t as she took on another therapist for my days I’m not there.

I think the OP offered the room to a second therapist in the beginning but then the salon owner took on a third therapist and let the room out to the third therapist on the days that the OP isn’t working. So presumably, the salon owner receives an income from the third therapist.

Therefore, no reason to charge the OP room rent on days she’s not working.

Latest posts

Back