Room rental

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alicerileyx

Reaction score
Hello
Wondering if anyone could help me?
I rent a beauty room in a hair dressing salon I just wondered if anyone else does and what they have done with there rent throughout all the lockdowns.
Thank you

Hi I’m a salon owner and I’ve not charged my girls rent, I think it’s morally wrong given I have grants to pay the rent. X

Thank you for your reply x

I don't rent to anyone at the mo, but most owners I know have charged throughout lockdowns. Some have offered payment plans, to spread late payments over a longer period, etc, but on the whole, their renters have received s/e grants, etc and although the owners have also recieved grants, they have had to pay rent, utilities, etc.

I also heard some councils will not pay grants to s/e if they cannot prove they have been paying rent.

It's also had some discussion on another site, as there's been rumours from hmrc that if your not charging rent, as an owner, then the person may be classed as an employee, so owners could potentially end up being liable for hols, etc.

A very complicated situation from all sides! I'm kinda glad it's not a decision I'm having to make at the mo.

Hi I’m a salon owner and I’ve not charged my girls rent, I think it’s morally wrong given I have grants to pay the rent. X
I am as salon owner as well with renters. I didn’t charge them while we were shut down either But I did not receive any grants other than the $1000 EIDL. I was denied everything else. How were you able to receive grant money?

I don't rent to anyone at the mo, but most owners I know have charged throughout lockdowns. Some have offered payment plans, to spread late payments over a longer period, etc, but on the whole, their renters have received s/e grants, etc and although the owners have also recieved grants, they have had to pay rent, utilities, etc.

I also heard some councils will not pay grants to s/e if they cannot prove they have been paying rent.

It's also had some discussion on another site, as there's been rumours from hmrc that if your not charging rent, as an owner, then the person may be classed as an employee, so owners could potentially end up being liable for hols, etc.

A very complicated situation from all sides! I'm kinda glad it's not a decision I'm having to make at the mo.
I would love to know how other owners are receiving grants large enough to pay their rent! Any information would be appreciated! All I got was $1000 EIDL beca I have independent contractor/renters.

I would love to know how other owners are receiving grants large enough to pay their rent! Any information would be appreciated! All I got was $1000 EIDL beca I have independent contractor/renters.
I think you guys have a different system in the US. We are UK based. Each country in the UK has it's own framework, so get slightly different amounts of grants. Personally, although I received some grant money, it was certainly not what I would normally have earned and because we've been closed/restricted so often over the last year, it certainly has not covered my outgoings. However, I'm still grateful to have recieved anything.
This is my 3rd full lockdown, and even when trading between the other lockdowns, we were restricted in both the services we were allowed to offer, the numbers we could allow to work/service at and one time, extra cleaning time, so reduced appointments and for periods where we were allowed to open, but people were told only to go out if they had to, so with all these things, we were sometimes trading at 20-30% of 'normal'.
For some of these reasons, I think if I was renting to self employed chair/room renters, I would have had to charge rent. I don't think I would have been able to not charge.
Over here, any renters are basically seen to be running their own business within your premises, so they in turn were eligible to claim their own grants. I know there's been issues in some districts with problems qualifying where maybe renters could not show accounts if they were recently self employed, etc, but hopefully that will be sorted out.
I wasn't sure what schemes were available in other countries for businesses?

Latest posts

Back