Room renting advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade5493

Reaction score
hiya!

2 years ago myself and another girl opened a salon and I have rented the room from her on my own since. She's hairdressing and I do the beauty side..

She has agreed to let my room out when I'm not here, which from an outside point of view is reasonable but is there anything I should be aware of since I kitted out the room?

It's the first time I've felt disappointed on how the salon is being run and I don't know how much is ok to say with out it being unprofessional ‍♀️

Help pleeeease! And thanks in advance x

How many days are you there and how much are you paying (if you don’t mind telling us?).

Did you provide the couch/nail desk/etc - and the salon owner is expecting the new person to use them?

How many days are you there and how much are you paying (if you don’t mind telling us?).

Did you provide the couch/nail desk/etc - and the salon owner is expecting the new person to use them?

Im in 6 days a week and paying next to nothing on rent, £25 a day, which, compared to what it could be i know I'm very lucky with it..

The new therapist is only going to be using the bed for holistic therapies, but all the equipment was bought by myself.

The room also needs a freshen up, painted, and I would have done this myself before but now feel like it's not my place?

If the couch is yours, no-one else should be using it without your permission.

Is it unreasonable if I said no though?

The new therapist is only in for a few hours on a Sunday, I asked for a split in the money from the new therapist.

I think from a business point of view, the hairdresser has every right to let the room out to another but it's just been myself the last 2 years

If the couch is yours, no-one else should be using it without your permission.

I would not agree to that ever.
Years ago I was renting an extremely small room in a salon. The owner informed me one morning that another nail tech (total newbie) was also going to be working out of my room when I wasn't there, and using my nail table and bed and oh, could I teach her all I know because she just got licensed? I was packed and gone 2 hours later.
It's not reasonable to share a room when you rent 6 days per week. It's your room. Please refuse this. It won't end well.

This happened to me years ago when I rented a room 5 days a week and owners wanted to rent out when I wasn’t there , needless to say I left shortly after and went mobile so no I wouldn’t be happy with this if I was you and would speak to her first x

Ok, it's for one day a week at the moment...
Supposing she starts to do well and offers to pay the hairdresser £40 a day if she can have the room for 5 days a week...?
You then end up in a bidding war.
Supposing she decides to expand her business further by offering some of the treatments that you currently do?
You lose clients to the competition.

You are in a business relationship with the hairdresser not bff. You need to always look at the situation from a business viewpoint and don't allow someone to take advantage of your good nature.

You're already unhappy with some aspects of the arrangement so perhaps it's time to review the situation and look elsewhere?

As others have said, it's your room and really she can't use your stuff. Could be insurance/health and safety stuff to take into consideration. Say if she was using the bed and it magically collapsed for some reason with one of her clients on it? No doubt you'd get drawn into it.

As you admitted what you pay is cheap, why not just offer to pay for the Sunday you aren't using it at the same rate? The owner should be happy as a bit of extra cash and not be having to deal with someone new etc. and then you've hired the room for 7 days. Job done :)

I wasn't sure If it was just me or if she had every right to offer the room out to another therapist..

Thanks for your advice guys! A wee push was needed, see how it all goes tomorrow.

Jade X

Latest posts

Back