Root canal treatment-painful?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadeejordan

Reaction score
I'm scared, iv heard horror stories and I'm petrified of the dentist.
I've always suffered with my teeth this year I've had one out under sedation because I was a nervous wreck.
Now I have to have to have a root canal and 7 fillings, God help me.
To say I brush and floss twice a day.
Had anyone had root canals done and is it painful?

Is the dentist doing the root canal an endodontist?

I've had root canals that did not hurt, at all. Best of luck to you! :hug:

A dentist. I've had a horrific time in the past with an nhs dentist so went private I feel sick that I'm paying £750 to be in serious pain :( x

Both my girls have had root canal, both at about 14 years old and they were fine with the pain. My hands got mangled as they squeezed them so tight but it was a small price to pay x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Jadee

I'm a dental nurse I haven't had one done myself but I have seen patients fall asleep through them :)

Once you have local anaesthetic you will be fine.

During root canal you will have a sheet placed over your mouth called rubber dam it's to stop little instruments from falling down it makes communication difficult that's the only thing.

You will be fine relax and go to your happy place :) xxxxx

I had one done and I can honestly say I didn't feel a thing apart from a bit of pressure. However I had lots of infections afterwards and eventually had it out. However the actual procedure was fine, so don't worry!

I forgot to say the dentist and dental nurse have a duty to look after you and make sure you are comfortable.

We would check every so often that the patient is okay and say to raise a hand if you need a rest. I'm sure where you are going will be very kind to you they would want to be for the money you are paying !! Xxx

It just all sounds so scary and the fact it can take an hour to complete the procedure!!!! An hour 😟 and drill right down and things. Yucky. I've just had my top three front teeth crowned and it was like a horror story so I'm just petrified. Thank you for replying xx

About 5 weeks ago I had a root canal due To having neuralgia and was climbing the walls in pain.!! I had a healthy tooth, but had years of multiple fillings so ended up having a cavity Inbetween the old fillings?. And nerve damage. Had a root canal with 6 injections to stop the pain and numb it and it was bliss! Honestly apart from the ache and stiffness in my jaw in the morning (as they do force that rod thing a lot) I honestly can say it was nothing compared to tooth ache or pain. I was unlucky and 3 days after the 1st root canal, I was eating abit of chicken and half my tooth came off. Went back for the 2nd root canal and they built my tooth up with a filling.
So This is my advice, make sure there good and give you a crown. I'm treading on egg shells with my filling and the bite isn't right so I'm waiting for my checkup then I'm off to another dentist to get a crown. NHS is very hit and miss so make sure they've done it before. But it's nothing to worry about. The hour sounds right for each visit, as mine was root canal and temp filling, 8 days later root canal and white filling to build up tooth.

I had a root canal and sorry to say it was one of the worst experiences of my life! Maybe because the previous bad dentist over packed a filling and this broke my tooth in half. the new dentist tried to salvage it and put in this gold filing sort of thing but he must of caught the nerve when doing so.

Initially they didn't want to do a root canal but he pain once the local anesthetic wore off was unbearable. I had to literally run back to the dentist with my son as a baby and barge in on him with a patient and beg for something to be done then and there. He took one look at me and whipped me in the chair and (although I didn't know it at the time) did a root canal, it was awful! I was young, alone and never had root canal before so didn't really know what was going on. I lay there and cried silent tears as he drilled. Ha ha!

All sorted now, got a crown and can hardly remember which tooth it is!

Last edited:
Oh my god it all sounds terrible..
😮
They should knock you out for this stuff, I'm shaking now thinking about it all xx

I've had 2 root canal treatments and didn't feel a thing once the injection numbed the area fully

I'm the biggest lala on the planet with dentists, I even have to have a bubblegum flavoured cream rubbed on my gum to numb the injection lol

. It took me a long time to find a dentist I'm happy with and the practice I go to is fab, even the reception staff are lovely.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a root canal treatment last month.

Once the anaesthetic had kicked in, I felt nothing at all. In fact, the only uncomfortable thing about the whole experience, was laying in the chair for the best part of an hour.

You can demand to be put out for dental treatment, and they have to oblige, I had to have a tooth extracted and two deep fillings done, he wanted to do it there and then with injections but I point blank refused...I'm terrified!! So he referred me to a clinic in east grinstead called st faiths where I was put out (not fully but enough to not feel anything an have no idea what was happening). Depending on where you live they'll send you to your closest clinic that does it, good luck!! Xxx

From past experience Ive had root canal and a tooth extracted , Id definatly have the tooth extracted Id say,its not half as bad as you think it is but obviously if its where its not going to bother you having a hole ,root canal I had about 4 injections ,you have to go back again for further treatment ,and further down the line few years later the crown disintegrated they put in...but thats just my experience . Good luck.

Just had root canal done yesterday!! It was a wee bit uncomfortable, but not painful. The blue rubber mat they put over your mouth is a bit annoying, but it stops any saliva from getting into your tooth which could cause infection, also stops any medicine going down your mouth. I was a bit tender for a couple of hours after,but I took a paracetamol & a neurofen, and that did me. No pain at all today. Getting a crown put in in the new year,so have to be careful with the tooth till then.
Such an expense at the worst time of year!! Oh well!!
Best of luck,you'll be grand.
P.s I took my iPod with me....hate the drilling sounds! It helped lots!!
Dentist just tapped my shoulder if I needed to open wider!! Lol

Sent from my HUAWEI Y330-U01 using SalonGeek mobile app

Root canals are nothing honestly! You'll be fine! My dentist did one without telling me once - I thought he'd just done a normal filling.

I had a root canal and an extraction last year and paid for gas and air for both procedures to calm me down and I'm terrifies of the dentist even though I was suffering excruciating toothache before treatment.
The root canal was fine, just long. Amd the rubber thing they put in your mouth is a nuisance but it was painfree.
The extraction I found horrendous and cried even when on gas and air so that was definitely worse for me.
I'd have the root canal done again but I'd seriously think about having an extraction again. Weirdly it was painfree, I just can't bear the sensation.
You will honestly be fine. They're not drilling for the whole appointment and some of it is quite intricate work so they use tiny instruments x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you everyone it's nice to know it's not completely bad. I was sedated for an extraction with an iv and that was amazing. Quite honestly don't remember nothing even though I was awake. Apparently I skipped and sang on the way out. Not that I remember. You over think everything well I do especially before the dentist, thinking it's worse than it probably is :) xx

Latest posts

Back