Root stretch or shadow tone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella93xox

Reaction score
So this is for myself I'm fancying a new look! I'm natural base 4/5 1cm regrowth. The rest highlights toned with 9/7 wella. The picture is what I'm after just want to know the best method. I'm going to full head babylight and balayage what's left out. Root tone id use 6/16 maybe a abit 7/81. Possibly tone Mids, ends 10/69 and 9/60 with pastel apart from root tone as I want to deposit so would use 20vol. (Kind of like a base break). Or should I apply the root as a colour prior to lightening? Really unsure please help lol x
IMG_9720.PNG

I did a balayage foil hybrid, I did a small root stretch just to break up the highlights at the parting, I used 5/1 colortouch wells with 1.9 developer, on towel dried hair I put it tight on the roots for 10 minutes and dragged it down to where I wanted it for a further 6 ish minutes. she is a natural base of a 7-8, the colour touch will fade nice and it doesn't go too dark either. I used Demi because I didn't want to lift any unnececery warmth up, and it will last just as long as if I had used koleston perfect. on you id probably leave it tight to the root for 12-13 minutes and drag it down for the last 7-8 minutes if you are a natural base of a 4, and use a 7 with 20 volume it will go very warm, the root colour on the photo is almost green. I didnt root drag any hair from mid ear down as you never see it and the underpart was all freehand balayage, so no lines to blend

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 257
I did a balayage foil hybrid, I did a small root stretch just to break up the highlights at the parting, I used 5/1 colortouch wells with 1.9 developer, on towel dried hair I put it tight on the roots for 10 minutes and dragged it down to where I wanted it for a further 6 ish minutes. she is a natural base of a 7-8, the colour touch will fade nice and it doesn't go too dark either. I used Demi because I didn't want to lift any unnececery warmth up, and it will last just as long as if I had used koleston perfect. on you id probably leave it tight to the root for 12-13 minutes and drag it down for the last 7-8 minutes if you are a natural base of a 4, and use a 7 with 20 volume it will go very warm, the root colour on the photo is almost green. I didnt root drag any hair from mid ear down as you never see it and the underpart was all freehand balayage, so no lines to blend
That looks so perfect!! I think I was thinking of a 7 root because I'm so used to being dark. So was your client lifted all over first then you applied the 5/1 to damp hair root first, then dragged down further ? Did u isolate some lighter peices doing this as the pic you've posted shows lighter peices towards he root? Looks so amazing I would never have thought to apply 5/1 on bleach! Thanks for replying x

That looks so perfect!! I think I was thinking of a 7 root because I'm so used to being dark. So was your client lifted all over first then you applied the 5/1 to damp hair root first, then dragged down further ? Did u isolate some lighter peices doing this as the pic you've posted shows lighter peices towards he root? Looks so amazing I would never have thought to apply 5/1 on bleach! Thanks for replying x
I lifted her to the level I needed, in my case a 9/10, underneath was traditional balayage with some 7/0 colour touch in the middle of each V of the bleach. Then the Mohawk section I did back to back weaves with bleach and 7/0 colourtouch and balalayaged all the left out hair with 40 volume. Then on toweldried unconditioned hair I did it close to the root and after 10 minutes, when i dragged to down, I didn't let it develop fully, this means it's slightly translucent or 'sheer' which gives you the impression that I left some bits out. I chose such a dark colour because it's on damp hair so it dilutes the colour to make it more of a 6-7. If you apply koleston to bleached hair, you have to risk of it going green or grabbing too much, with colortouch, you don't have to fill the hair before applying in most cases, so it doesn't go green, and it's ph balanaced so won't go too dark unless you make it. I didn't use a toner either, I just let some purple shampoo sit on for the entire item the roots were taking

Thank you so much makes a lot more sense now. Il post a pic on this thread after I've done it I may use a 5/13 as the original picture looks a tinge warmer. And that colour on the ends is so gorgeous! Xx

Love this. Thank you. I am going to try this on a client today as never get a good enough lift with the balayage freehand bleach so going to try foils and then root shadow after.
Thing I am worried about with the 5/1 roots is it grabbing too quick. Any advice with this?
I have practiced on a block and got a lovely result so looking forward to doing it.

Love this. Thank you. I am going to try this on a client today as never get a good enough lift with the balayage freehand bleach so going to try foils and then root shadow after.
Thing I am worried about with the 5/1 roots is it grabbing too quick. Any advice with this?
I have practiced on a block and got a lovely result so looking forward to doing it.
Watch it, and wash it off if you get scared. If it's not dark enough. Wet the hair at the basin and re apply

Latest posts

Back