Rosacea self help guide

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelizabeth

Reaction score
Hello geeks, this is going to be a long post but I thought I would create a Rosacea self-help guide with things that I have learned first hand from having the skin condition myself. It is very common and I hope this will be helpful to either people who are suffering with it themselves or your clients. I wish that there was someone to have told me all of this when I first started suffering as I found it very hard to find simple and useful advice on the internet.

A bit about me
I am in my 20’s so at first the possibility of me having rosacea was dismissed as a lot of GP’s still think that it is a condition exclusive to the 30+ age range. It started with flushing on my cheeks when the central heating was on or if I started talking to someone and my heart rate went a little higher. After about a year of this flushing, it got worse and started happening even when I was just sitting down. Along with the flushing then came acne like bumps on my cheeks. They were painful and swollen but never turned into a spot, they just stayed for a couple of days and then gradually disappeared. I put up with this for another two years before I found a decent GP who told me I had Acne Rosacea. She knew the bumps were not hormonal spots because of the pill that I was on, and all the pictures I took of the butterfly rash on my face helped her with her diagnosis.

What helps
  • Metrosa Gel. It is an antibiotic metronidazole gel that you apply to affected areas, I was instructed to apply twice a day for 8 weeks. It worked wonders for me and made my skin go back to normal again. However it is not a permanent cure. After the 8 weeks, you need to look after your skin in order to delay/prevent future flare ups. When the flare ups happen badly again, you may need another course of using the gel.
  • Eve Taylor ultra soothing range. The cleanser is perfect for my skin as there is nothing in it that aggravates. That and Eucerin are the only skin care brands I use on my skin. Eucerin moisturisers (anti-redness night cream and the body moisturisers) are perfect during flare ups and to get rid of any redness. I also use chamomile or lavender floral water (can get it in a spray bottle from Eve Taylor) rather than using toners.
  • Anxiety/Stress treatment (therapy or medication) is very helpful if the cause of your rosacea is anxiety or panic disorder related like mine is. My heart rate was constantly high (often reaching 130bpm) and this triggered the flushes. Therapy and medication has helped this.
  • Makeup. Revlon colour stay foundation is very good at covering redness. Pick a shade that is more cool toned rather than pink toned to counteract redness. For example, Mac studio fix is good but the colours are no good for my skin as I was matched to NW shades and these exaggerated pinkness. Apply blusher to the highest point of cheekbones rather than on your cheeks or front of face.
  • Beauty blender. Use this to apply makeup rather than brushes. I can't go near foundation brushes without them causing a prickly heat sensation on my face. Beauty blenders apply product evenly without aggravating. Once the foundation is applied I can then use brushes to apply powders as the foundation forms a protective layer over my skin.
What triggers
  • Dairy. I had eczema as a baby, so the doctor told my mother to cut out dairy and when she did my eczema went away. Before I was diagnosed with rosacea, I trialled cutting out dairy again (as I had started to eat it in my teens) and my red painful bumps significantly reduced in just a week. Gluten can also aggravate but I struggle to axe this from my diet completely so I just cut it down where I can. Similarly with alcohol, it is a huge aggravator and should but cut down considerably. I stopped drinking a few months ago after the way it aggravated my skin. Caffeine, fizzy drinks, spicy food, sugar can all aggravate but I know it is hard to cut everything out so just keep it to a minimum.
  • Exercise is a known trigger but obviously you shouldn’t cut this out. Just make sure you stay hydrated, where cool clothes to avoid getting too hot. Exercise in short bursts rather than something like long distance running. I found swimming to be very beneficial because it gives me enough exercise without raising my heart rate too much or causing flushes.
  • Exfoliating. Using exfoliating scrubs is too harsh for your skin. Instead use an exfoliant that you do not need to rub in. Eve taylor has an exfoliator that you brush on, leave for a few minutes, and then wipe off without the need to rub particles on your face. I would normally avoid Clinique but I do have their Mild Clarifying Lotion for delicate skin which is a liquid you apply with cotton wool, it exfoliates the skin without aggravating it.
  • Sunbathing: cover your face when lying in the sun and always wear factor 50. Sunburn is one of the many causes of rosacea.
I hope this has helped at least one person! Remember though, I am not a GP. If you suspect you may have rosacea please book an appointment with them and before you make any changes to your diet or exercise routine please discuss it with them. This is simply a few things for you to consider about your lifestyle and how it could be affecting your skin :)

Latest posts

Back