Rough skin round nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyAndy

Reaction score
Another novice question I'm afraid for myself.

Around my nails the skin gets very hard. I had a professional manicure a couple of months ago so I could watch someone deal with it and she used her cuticle nippers to take away all the bits that stick out and she cut away all the hard bits too. It didn't hurt but it felt really strange after but nice strange if you see what I mean.

Since then I've tried to do the same but I'm just making it worse. It looks okay for a day maybe and then it just looks ragged as though I've cut the skin away but gradually more lifts up. I rub in oil every single day to them but it makes no difference.

What do I do to help myself and of course later on clients with the same problems.

I think you should stop using nippers and just keep slathering on cuticle oil on 3 times a day, really massage this into the cuticle and your nail walls...

hope this helps,

Dont quote me but i think that cutting away the hard skin makes it grow back more so agree with Lou, keep oiling it and it will come good in the end!

Hi, Carole is right in the fact that if you are taking off the good part of the cuticle rather than the part that grows down and stays attached to the nail, this is the bit you push back with a dual tool, it will actually get worse and harder if you keep attacking them with nippers.

Just keep using the oil in the morning and just before bed then it will really soak in. Eventually it will soften, then you can gently push it back.

Hope this helps

If all that is cut is non living tissue... then it wont pose a problem.
However, seldom do people who nip only nip non living tissue.

You are by far better off simply using an Alph Hydroxy Cuticle cream for a few days and then daily cuticle oils.

That way, there will never be anything to cut.

Good Luck

Many thanks for your advice.

Latest posts

Back