Rubella

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyseeker

Reaction score
My daughter's music teacher's flat mate has Rubella:eek:, only a mild case apparently but she had to cancell all music lessons this week.

She made him go to the doc on Monday as he was coughing all weekend and a bit of a rash on his tum. Doc told him to say in house and away from pregnant women and small children.

As he said he has been at uni and works part time in a bar and only hopes that he has not passed it on.

The thing is he was inoculated against it at school. The doc said that does not matter you can still get a mild case, which this is, but it has the same effect on pregnant women if they catch it.

Scary or what:eek:

i had been inoculated against rubella, but 4years later i caught it whilst i was pregnant with my second daughter. i was told there would be a 70 % chance of the baby having handicaps such as heart defects, brain damage, deafness and blindness. and i was offered a termination and doctors were shocked that i didnt take them up on their offer right up to 28 week pregnant.

i went through with the pregnancy but did not look forward to the birth because i thought my poor baby could be really ill whereas whilst she was still in the womb she was safe.

i delivered her on friday the 13th :eek:[jan]
she was born perfectly well to my great relief and i love and adore her. shes 19 next month.

Oh Angel Fingers what an awful thing to happen but at least it had a happy ending.

This poor fellow is feeling so guilty in case he passed it on to someone and is wondering where he got it from as none of his friends or people he works with has it. He has warned the uni about it and they are putting notices up but that is all they can do. The bar where he works has told the staff to go to the docs as soon as they have any kind of symptom.

My friends mum had Rubella when she was pregnant with my friend who ended up with epilepsy.

For most of the time though all he has had is a scratchy cough and a bit of a sore throat from coughing. It wasnt till monday morning that he noticed the rash.

I just think it is so scary that you can still get it even when you have been inoculated.

:eek:

Trish :hug:

Oh Angel Fingers what an awful thing to happen but at least it had a happy ending.

This poor fellow is feeling so guilty in case he passed it on to someone and is wondering where he got it from as none of his friends or people he works with has it. He has warned the uni about it and they are putting notices up but that is all they can do. The bar where he works has told the staff to go to the docs as soon as they have any kind of symptom.

My friends mum had Rubella when she was pregnant with my friend who ended up with epilepsy.

For most of the time though all he has had is a scratchy cough and a bit of a sore throat from coughing. It wasnt till monday morning that he noticed the rash.

I just think it is so scary that you can still get it even when you have been inoculated.

doctor said to me that the chances of catching it after you have had the jab are a million to one, and to get it during the first trimester of preganancy after inoculation is even rarer:irked:

so he probably hasnt done too much damage and has done all the right things.

doctor said to me that the chances of catching it after you have had the jab are a million to one, and to get it during the first trimester of preganancy after inoculation is even rarer:irked:

so he probably hasnt done too much damage and has done all the right things. has it been definately diagnosed as i did not have throat or cough with mine just felt queesy and weak and had a rash.

Yes he has definately got it. The doc said that its just one of the symptoms that can present themselves. sometimes you get it sometimes you dont!

I told my daughters music teacher that he probably didnt do any harm but she said he is a very empathetic kind of guy (not gay amazingly) and hopes to be better so he can go home for christmas, also he has not done any shopping yet so has got his friends to do it for him.

I wish I could find someone to do the food shopping for christmas this weekend, I am not looking forward to it.

Well hope you have a very happy christmas and that Santa is good to you.

and i was offered a termination and doctors were shocked that i didnt take them up on their offer right up to 28 week pregnant.

With my daughter, following complications during the pregnancy I was told I could, depending on the outcomes of tests, commit foeticide at any time up until the baby was born (I was 31 weeks at the time)....I was gob smacked that this could even be done!

and i was offered a termination and doctors were shocked that i didnt take them up on their offer right up to 28 week pregnant.

With my daughter, following complications during the pregnancy I was told I could, depending on the outcomes of tests, commit foeticide at any time up until the baby was born (I was 31 weeks at the time)....I was gob smacked that this could even be done!

yes its shocking isnt it.
was your outcome o.k cathie ?

yes its shocking isnt it.
was your outcome o.k cathie ?
Yes, thank you, absolutely fine, 8 weeks prem, surgery on Christmas Eve, 4 weeks in NICU, HDU etc, none of the possible associated abnormalities of a duodenal atresia.....she'll be 6 on Sunday and a proper little madam!

As it happened the results of the amnio didn't come in before I went into labour so I didn't really have time to think too much about any decision, although the thinking time I did have was a crazy stream of emotions!

I was blood tested a few months ago to see if the injection I had at school when I was 13 worked. The doctor said that sometimes these injections do nothing and people only find out sadly when they are pregnant. Think there should be a follow up test or something to make sure the correct antibodies are in the body.

I was blood tested a few months ago to see if the injection I had at school when I was 13 worked. The doctor said that sometimes these injections do nothing and people only find out sadly when they are pregnant. Think there should be a follow up test or something to make sure the correct antibodies are in the body.

yes, thats a good idea, i agree.
its awful to think you've done all the right things and then be told it hasnt worked only when its too late.

i knew i'd missed mine at school, so had it done when i was 19 to be on the safe side. or so i thought:rolleyes:

That's included in the first bloods they do when you are pregnant, checking that you are rubella immune.

That's included in the first bloods they do when you are pregnant, checking that you are rubella immune.

yes, but its too late by then because you cant be vacinated during your pregnancy to protect against it if you are not immune.

Do you think this could be a problem in the future with many children of this era not being vaccinated with the MMR because of all the autism etc scares?

In my day we were vaccinated against rubella (girls only) when we were about 12, the MMR vaccine didn't exist in those days....I had all 3 (measles, mumps and rubella (German measles)) as a kid.

Do you think this could be a problem in the future with many children of this era not being vaccinated with the MMR because of all the autism etc scares?

In my day we were vaccinated against rubella (girls only) when we were about 12, the MMR vaccine didn't exist in those days....I had all 3 (measles, mumps and rubella (German measles)) as a kid.

wouldnt surprise me.
i think with rubella its one of those things that when you catch it in childhood its barely noticeable and not at all serious. its only when its caught during pregnancy that it poses such a risk.

we are seeing an upsurge in illnesses that were almost wiped out before. its down to people not vacinating and the inlux of people from overseas carrying diseases around the world i hear.

Personally I don't think that we expose children to the bacteria and viruses of yester year....we sanitise anything and everything, clean our homes until there is no tomorrow.....the immune system is being molly coddled.

My Grandma used to tell me that you will eat a peck of muck before you die....that's quite a lot of muck!

OK so that's quite simplistic but I do think that we live in a sterile country, parents are obsessed with their children not catching this and that....imo they need to have it to get immune, you know, the basic/common illnesses!

Sorry to go off topic....I just googled pregnancy and rubella and I now know that this is very serious in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy.....I never even thought about it before as I was vaccinated and was rubella immune on my first pregnancy bloods.....I would take a guess that the people vaccinated but not immune are few and far between.

I guess from all that has been said that if you are thinking of getting pregnant it might be worth getting your imunity to rubella checked out by the doctor and if you dont have imunity then get the inoculation done again.

I guess from all that has been said that if you are thinking of getting pregnant it might be worth getting your imunity to rubella checked out by the doctor and if you dont have imunity then get the inoculation done again.

it could certainly save a lot of heartache.

Latest posts

Back