Rude clients - therapists have feelings too!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then..... next time she is in & wants to re-book, either say; you have left your appointment book at home, so she is best to phone up tomorrow or say you have not yet filled out your (new) appointment book or if you know she preferes a certain day/time book yourself out for the next month so she cant have it!
Or if you dont like the idea of any of them, next time she wants to re-book, say do you mind if we have a quiet word, take her to the kitchen area/ somewhere that is not overheared or maybe in your treatment room (if you have one) & talk to her - no-one deserves to feel or be spoke to like that!

How often is this client in? What does she have done? x

What lovely people we treat, NOT! I have been quiet lucky haven't had anyone rude yet although had
Some difficulties today with a woman when threading her eyebrows, I went to her and she had a one year old that wanted to climb all over the mum, I understand it is a but tricky fir people having children there but she started playing see-saw with the little girl on her lap! Not easy for me at all, didn't want to hold her lids for the threading but explained it was needed! Threading usually takes me about 10 mins but I was there almost 40 minutes! I'm still new to the industry so didn't have the confidence to say anything but next time will suggest we book an appointment when the daughter is in bed or something!
Also when people say about having a 50% charge for cancellation fee, how does this work? Do they pay this when they book? Sorry I am probably being really dumb!
Sorry to have totally hijacked your thread! Xx

What lovely people we treat, NOT! I have been quiet lucky haven't had anyone rude yet although had
Some difficulties today with a woman when threading her eyebrows, I went to her and she had a one year old that wanted to climb all over the mum, I understand it is a but tricky fir people having children there but she started playing see-saw with the little girl on her lap! Not easy for me at all, didn't want to hold her lids for the threading but explained it was needed! Threading usually takes me about 10 mins but I was there almost 40 minutes! I'm still new to the industry so didn't have the confidence to say anything but next time will suggest we book an appointment when the daughter is in bed or something!
Also when people say about having a 50% charge for cancellation fee, how does this work? Do they pay this when they book? Sorry I am probably being really dumb!
Sorry to have totally hijacked your thread! Xx

First off I had the exact same problem on Friday! She was bouncing the girl up and down on her lap not stretching properly.... I think people think the stretching is for our benefit...
Erm no it's to stop you bleeding and getting scratches and less pain!
I had to get someone to stretch for her in the end!! :/

Cancellation fee- are you mobile or salon based x

I have to share this!! I have a client who isnt so much a pain with her appointment but she is just sooo annoying i would rather her not turn up!!
She is 58, over weight, unnattractive, wears the most hideous clothes and generally has unkept looking frizzy red hair but somehow she feels the need to be offensive and rude about my appearance! I wouldnt say im an oil painting but im in my twenties and always keep up my appearance as you have to in this job!!
I find it so offensive you almost feel like saying "take a look in the mirror love" but i feel this would lower me to her level and it isnt at all professional and i wouldnt give anyone like that the reason to bad mouth me as bad reps proceed good ones!!
She is also very disagreeable to have a conversation with... if i said the sky was blue she would call me a stupid girl and insist it was black even though last time she would have said its blue!! She also has a habit to ramp it up when other people are present, as if trying to make me look stupid. Alot of this is done with a smile as though its Jest when you know someone cannot be that personal and rude to someone they are not even friends with as a joke!
A couple of times it has got tense when i have showed annoyance but then for a while she will behave and be ok...this never lasts though :(
she also stands there and makes me book 2 or 3 appointments in advance so i have no excuse not to do her!!
Anyone have advice on how they would handle this professionally without having to have a bit of a stand off by telling her just how vile she is?!!

xx:evil:

no one should ever have to put up with that sort of treatment, no matter who they are.
As far as professionalism goes, that ship is but a dot on the horizon. I would calmly place my tools down on the table, pack everything away, stand up and tell her to go do one!!!! - either that or crank the old e-file up to about a zillion rpm and give her fingers a good toasting hehehe (i'm kidding of course, but wouldn't it be sweeeet lmao)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I'm shocked at the number of people who text message with clients. I think it's really unprofessional.

I think it depends in the clientele. I get clients show up all the time once they receive a text. When I ring and it goes to voicemail.....a no show :/

Don't get why they have to do the see saw! Ive ended up stopping what I'm doing and giving them "the look" they soon stop lol

I have to share this!! I have a client who isnt so much a pain with her appointment but she is just sooo annoying i would rather her not turn up!!
She is 58, over weight, unnattractive, wears the most hideous clothes and generally has unkept looking frizzy red hair but somehow she feels the need to be offensive and rude about my appearance! I wouldnt say im an oil painting but im in my twenties and always keep up my appearance as you have to in this job!!
I find it so offensive you almost feel like saying "take a look in the mirror love" but i feel this would lower me to her level and it isnt at all professional and i wouldnt give anyone like that the reason to bad mouth me as bad reps proceed good ones!!
She is also very disagreeable to have a conversation with... if i said the sky was blue she would call me a stupid girl and insist it was black even though last time she would have said its blue!! She also has a habit to ramp it up when other people are present, as if trying to make me look stupid. Alot of this is done with a smile as though its Jest when you know someone cannot be that personal and rude to someone they are not even friends with as a joke!
A couple of times it has got tense when i have showed annoyance but then for a while she will behave and be ok...this never lasts though :(
she also stands there and makes me book 2 or 3 appointments in advance so i have no excuse not to do her!!
Anyone have advice on how they would handle this professionally without having to have a bit of a stand off by telling her just how vile she is?!!

I had a client call me a Plain Jane the other day! I looked her straight in the eye and said in a firm voice I am NOT a plain Jane! When she had goneI punched my imaginary punch bag, let out a few expletives and then enjoyed putting her money in the till!

Maybe next time just say in a slightly jokey but firm way "ouch that was a little personal don't you think?" Clients can be very difficult but you don't need to take personal insults.

Sorry but we are in a deep recession and I need all the clients get, even those who test my patience! Just tell them politely why they have to be on time. I used to have a sign on my wall which said something like, Whilst it may be ok to be fashionably late at parties we appreciate you being on time to your appointment or you risk having it cut short or even cancelled so as not to be late for my next client, thank you for your understanding!

Try not to take things to heart, most clients are lovely!

If you work for yourself then tell her you are cutting back and you cannot book her in again! I you work for someone else then pick her up on her comments when she makes them. Ask her if she realises how offensive she is being? They don't like being called on a comment. The reason people are like this is because they can be.

I wouldn't worry about offending her or anyone else if they are abusive to me. Your next client will suffer in some way if you have been upset by her.

Get rid! :lol:

Thanks for the advice everyone!! Will defo be putting her in her place next time she acts up!!

I do her nails and i got her to go 4 weeks and thought "just think of it as taking her money" but sometimes i have been close to exploding!!

I would love to have the time to call all my clients as i had to get a work phone because i would receive txts late at night and on sundays etc. but unfortunately i work in a room on my own and have no help to run my book like i used to when i worked in a hair salon. Im usually busy all day long and dont even get to check my phone until i get home from work which is always late at night and its inaproppriate to be calling at that time of night!!

:wink2:

I forgot to add sassy hassy, i cannot believe these people feel its appropriate to say such spiteful things!!

Good for you for telling her, i hope she was rather sheepish and apologetic?!

Reading what you guys have to say has definitely made me feel i would be just in saying something now. when you work alone i think you lose what you should put up with or not!!!

xxx

Obviously texting is not a preferred option of contacting clients but as lisalarry said sometimes its the only option, ie later at night etc. I feel that it is professional to be flexible with clients needs, sometimes people are working and unable to make telephone calls during salon opening hours. Surely you would rather reply to a text in relation to an appointment, than ignore it and miss the business?

If you really don't want her business anymore and asuming your diary is visible to clients:

When she tells you she wants to make her appointments, regardless of what date she selects, flick to an empty page and look in her face and tell her you are very sorry but you are fully booked.

If she says the page is empty, say, no its not it's fully booked!

She may be embarassed but she will get the message and you don't have to have an altercation with her.

Jacqui xx

I'm afraid clients, 'good' and 'bad' are a fact of life in any service industry. Most of my beauty/holistic clients are friends, but even so, I get them cancelling, forgetting and so on. No rudeness though.

I also do sewing and alterations. Doing a lot for a bridal shop at the moment. Brides are fine, but bridesmaids are ALWAYs late! I've got to a stage now where in the near future I'm going to leave the shop if they're that late. I met the b/m's on their way into the shop last week. I was leaving as they were half an hour late, they looked surprised that I was leaving!

In service industries I think you just have to 'man up' and deal with it in a way to suit you, be it by 'sacking' clients or whatever. People are people and not all of them were brought up with manners and consideration for others.

I'm shocked at the number of people who text message with clients. I think it's really unprofessional.

Well, welcome to the 21st century!
That is your opinion & I strongly disagree.
I would say I do 90% of booking my appointments via text.
I am VERY professional & dont think you can judge anyone without knowing their situation.
All my clients comment on how much more easier it is for them, they can text out of my working hours, out of their workinh hours, whenever suits them, 7 days a week, it works for them & for me.
I also send everyone a confirmation text the night before - which again everyone has commented on that they really like getting!

Even hospitals, doctors etc send out text reminders now!

Well, welcome to the 21st century!
That is your opinion & I strongly disagree.
I would say I do 90% of booking my appointments via text.
I am VERY professional & dont think you can judge anyone without knowing their situation.
All my clients comment on how much more easier it is for them, they can text out of my working hours, out of their workinh hours, whenever suits them, 7 days a week, it works for them & for me.
I also send everyone a confirmation text the night before - which again everyone has commented on that they really like getting!

Even hospitals, doctors etc send out text reminders now!

Totally agree with this post!!

Lou I'm glad it isn't just me it was soooo difficult! That was good you had someone else to stretch her eyelids, I didn't have this and what a pain! I think it is so much more relaxing for clients if the children are not around as they can relax but do understand that it isn't always possible! I am mobile at the moment but my home salon should be set soon :) I'm soooo excited!
I also text clients the night before to remind/confirm appointments as it makes it easier for me in case anyone does cancel or forget if people want booking in last min I can! I find nearly all of my bookings are via text or Facebook! I find a lot of people don't like to do it over the phone as sometimes feel under pressure! Xx

I work in my home and do text with clients. I message the day before to remind people of their schedualed appts. My clients love that; because if I didn't, I would have alot of accidental no-shows. People don't always remember their appts so this has really helped me to have clients show up and gives them an oppurnity to cancel or move their appts with me still haveing time to fill it. Occassonally I still get last min canelations but not as often anymore. Working from home I am extreamly busy, but I always give so much space between people that noone ever has to wait for their appointment even if they are 20 mins late. If someone is rude to me ever I get rid of them as a client, I dont take it. If someone txted me like that saying they didn't like their nails I wouldnt put up with it because like you said you know there was nothing wrong with them. I am always willing to fix any mistakes. Clients know that, and so they should never be rude about it. I have one time had a similar message she said I did a bad job on her nails, when all she had wrong with them was her gel overlay went kind of dull. Which is an easy fix and when I told her I would fix the gel-even though she was so rude, she said she wanted a whole new set for a discount price! when I told her I would fix the problem .. she wanted a new set? I told her I was giving her appointment away and to go somewhere else. Her friends all knew I did that and they all still wanted to come to me, and noone ever has said or done anything like that again. If your gonna be rude, go be someone elses client.

You work in a salon and this happens? I work from home what I do is hide my book and tell them "oh shoot I left it in my car, send me an email and we can set up something" then when they wanna book I make it impossible and reccommend them to a salon who can accomidate their hours becuase if they dont book with me at the time of their appt they forget and usually message me 3 weeks later and need in right away, then I am already booked up.. this was I am just to busy instead of telling them I dont want to be their tech anymore. I dont want confrontation or anything awkward and this way they have no hard feelings.

Totally agree with Emma on the texting x
I'd say ermm 99% of my clients are via text or facebook!
No problems :)

Well the odd one but there always will be "the odd one" :)

Oatridge- ah your most definitely not the older one!
If I had nobody else to stretch I'd simply say I can't do the treatments as it'll rip her skin ect x
As for taking deposits being mobile it's a very tricky one.
Paypal is a good idea but alot of younger clients don't have one.
Bank deposit maybe?
But then can people be bothered to go through all the fuss for a treatment or would they go elsewhere as it's easier without the fuss?

xx

Latest posts

Back