Rude people!! Grrrr....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail_star2003

Reaction score
Ok, so some of you know how I've said business has been a bit slow and that I've given out some leaflets etc. Well, I didn't know people could be soooo rude!!

I logged on last night, as I do every night, and checked my emails to see that I had a message through my website enquiry form. What confronted me was certainly not what I expected :eek:. It said "I notice that your prices are higher than other local salons and I just wondered why. As you are home-based I would've thought that your prices would be cheaper. Thank you but I think I'll save my money and go somewhere else".

My blood was boiling :mad: and I thought how dare she!!! But then I sat back and thought "Maybe I should drop my prices". The problem is the only 'salons' around me are NSS's and so yeah, fair enough, my prices are higher but that's because I'm NVQ qualified and use a bloody good product!!

I've spoken to a few people and they've all said I shouldn't do anything with my prices. I've already got an 'Introduce a friend' offer at the mo but now I'm wondering if to cut my prices to get them though the door as say, £25 is better thn £0!!

Please give me some advice. It's left me feeling like crap. :cry:

You know what hun there is nowt queer as folk! People like that must have such negative energy to even take the time to post a message like that. Just ignore it and run your busines as you choose. However as it has been highlighted as a potential issue then I think you need to mention maybe why your prices are higher then the competition. After all you have hair salons that charge a whole range of different prices in the same town, why should nails be any diferent?

You just don´t want to attract this type of client anyway. One who devalues your work and bases their whole choice on price ... she´d be off as quick as a flash if someone cheaper came along. Aim your sights high and you´ll still be in business in years to come ... work smarter not harder. good luck and don´t let this individual get to you :hug:

Oh hun i would try not to let it bother you.
Why should you drop your prices????
Is the work you do of a poor quality? i doubt it.
Is the room you use for your treatments cold and dirty? i really do doubt it.
At the end of the day you charge what you do for a reason and if she wants a cheep treatment then let her go and find someone to do it for her.
Keep your chin up and be proud of what you do and how much you charge for it :hug:

Could it be a message from another local tech maybe?

Thanks guys! :hug: I know I shouldn't let it bother me but, to me, if one person thinks like that, no matter what a nasty, horrible human she is, then how many other's think like that?

In fact, I've recently moved and spent over £3000 converting my work room which is a completely separate building to my house and my clients love it as they think it looks posh!!! Oh, I don't know, it's just so demoralising!:mad: The ironic thing is that I actually go and have my nails done cos I can't be bothered to do them myself and i pay £9 more for a full set than I actually charge!!!

Hi Judy,

Well I did think about this but then by sending that it could make me drop my prices in which case I'd be more competition for her. So unless she's thick & stupid I wouldn't think so. But hey, you never know............!!!:rolleyes:

Surely that email was just to antagonise you as it is utterly pointless.

If they had said could you offer them a discount it would have made more sense. Basically they went to the effort of emailing to say they would not be using you, they are just winding you up.

I would ignore it and carry on as you were. :hug:

Hi there.

Right Missy, I have just looked at your website. It is very professional, and think you should be feeling very proud for what you have achieved.
You have worked extremely hard, gained professional qualifications, and are good at what you do - Right??

So ignore this stupid persons comments, because I think it is probably a local jelous competitor.
PLEASE dont lower your prices because you are playing right ino their hands if you do that.
Your prices are a reflection of what you are worth. Take into consideration all your training, hard work, and everything else it takes to be who you are.

IF this silly person is a customer, which I very much doubt, then do you want people like her ? NO you dont. :eek:.

This is a case of the green eyed monster. Next week you will be laughing about it!!!!

My advice - Totally ignore, delete it, and carry on.

Good luck. :hug::hug::hug:

Well, that's exactly what I thought. Why would someone go to all the trouble to say that they wouldn't come to me???? Very strange! :irked: Obviously this person has got far too much time on their hands (and not enough clients if they're a tech!!).

Surely that email was just to antagonise you as it is utterly pointless.

If they had said could you offer them a discount it would have made more sense. Basically they went to the effort of emailing to say they would not be using you, they are just winding you up.

I would ignore it and carry on as you were. :hug:

She could of been after you offering her some discount?!?

Thank you Lavender and the rest of you girlies! :hug: I know my mum says I shouldn't lower my prices but it's different when it comes from you guys!!

Thank you for the kind words about my website. I have tried to keep it informative, professional but make me seem approachable all at the same time.

In regards to the discount thing, if that is what she wanted then the stupid woman came unstuck as she didn't even leave her email or a contact no!! So I would have no way of offering her anything even if I wanted to, which I don't. But the name that was left was J Phillips.

I'm at the higher end of the price market in my area. Why? Becase I'm worth it! Clients, and sometimes us as therapists, need to realise that Cheaper doesn't always equal better.

I also run a home based practice that I am building up now, one of the things I say to my clients is that as part of the cost you also get much more personal level of service. I space appointments slightly more then I would than if in a Salon so that I can take my time over treatments, have a bit more pre- and post-treatment chat. Offer each client who arrives a warm towel and drink, and then give them a bottle of chilled mineral water at the end of the treatment for them to take away with them.

I would also add if someone is only focussed on the price and "how expensive" you are, they proably aren't really going to be a very good long-term client.

In this business there is one word that is critical to our success, and its often the hardest to say and certainly act upon - "Next!" For every 1 yes I want a treatment you will get at least 10 No's. One of the biggest differences between a very successful busy therapist and a quieter one, the busier has had more people say No to them.

Keep up the good work! Believe in yourself, believe in your products and believe in your skills. As they said in one of my fave films - if you build it they will come.

Mat

In this business there is one word that is critical to our success, and its often the hardest to say and certainly act upon - "Next!" For every 1 yes I want a treatment you will get at least 10 No's. One of the biggest differences between a very successful busy therapist and a quieter one, the busier has had more people say No to them.

I would just like to say that this is probably one of the best things that someone could've said to me, and others, and you're so right. Thank you Mat.

Kelly - You know you do great work and people get good value for money. I wouldn't let such a message upset me. If you looked at a website and thought the therapist was charging too much, you wouldn't go to the trouble of letting them know, you'd just find another.

I think it is from someone who is jealous of you and not necessarily another beauty therapist or nail technician.

Hopefully business will pick up again soon - you deserve to be packed out!:hug:

Thanks Chris. Now, you do know me and what I'm like and what I can produce so it means a lot to hear that from you. Cheers :hug:

YOu seem to have assumed quite a bit upon getting this email (and most of the reply p[osts have only fed your assumptions).

Why not just send them an email explaining why you are more expensive?

No harm in that, maybe it was the way you read the email that upset you, perhaps it was quite innocent. And if you don't answer you may lose a potential customer.

This person was perhaps only vocalising (and taking the time do do so) what many people may think, why not justify it?

Explain your products, training, qualifications, sanitisation procedures etc.
It's shoved down our necks in here, this is an opportunity to explain it to a potential client, rather than being offended by a quite innocent question.

Also, on your website your quote/price for a soak off & a full set is FREE:)
I know what you mean, but someone may take you up on this offer (and you would be legally bound to do it).

Ok, in response to NailZoo's message, although I'm not sure whether they were trying to help or not as it seemed a bit forceful, here is my response:

First of all, I did mention that the person did not leave an email or contact no for me to get back to them so I do not believe that this was merely a message to find out more. They quite openly said that they would find somewhere cheaper and that's fine;

Secondly, with regards to the soak off thing, I wouldn't be legally bound to do anything as it's not a contract and I'm sure it wouldn't serve someone any purpose to take me to court for a new set of nails!!! But as you've highlighted it I may reword it;

Thirdly, and finally, I don't see why I should justify myself to anyone, new customer or not and I don't really appreciate you telling me that I should. If someone was to ask with a genuine curiosity and offered me a chance to tell them, then I would but I was not given this opportunity. Nor do I think anyone on this forum shoves anything down anyone's necks, as you put it. We merely help out and realise that training and good education is a firm foundation to a good career.

Kelly, tbh I wouldn't worry about the email. I've had someone say the same thing to me over the phone about the price of my manicures and pedicures. To which I thought, if you don't like the price you can go somewhere cheaper and not get as good a service if you like, but I ain't reducing my prices for you! Not that I got the chance to say it, because she hung up on me.

There will always be one or two people who will try it on, and there are plenty of rude people out there too. Don't let them get to you, and don't let them affect your work. You charge what you think you are worth, and if people don't like it they can always go to one of the local NSS and get their nails trashed! :)

I think maybe Nailzoo was trying to give a positive spin on it...like saying, instead of thinking of it in that way...maybe try thinking of it in another way.

so instead of being upset and angry....humour and even educate them with a reply....(although as you say you cannot) HTH x

Latest posts

Back