Rudest thing a client has ever said to you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had so many rude clients over the years!

When I was 19 I worked as a make-up artist for leading brand. I had a lady booked in for a lesson and she came in and I did her make up. I addressed her concerns and did my best to make her feel amazing. she was admiring my finished work in the mirror and turned to me and said "I don't know how you got your job with such bad skin! Has anyone else coming out? I bet it puts people off!"

I had cystic acne and was getting treatment. I also took the most on the counter and was good at what I did. My manager at the time took my for a hot chocolate! Ha!

Then a few years later...

Another time I got asked if it made me feel rubbish "working with loads of beautiful girls?! Not that your ugly just that they are stunning!"

Another time I had a lady turn up late for an appointment. She arrived and I started her cleanse. She seemed really tense so was trying to make conversation. I noticed she had a hoody on for the business school at the university I went to and mentioned it. She asked what I'd done and she said "you have 2 degrees and you just work in a shop! Are you not very ambitious?!" I was like "I'm one of the managers, we take over £3m a year and I manage a team of over 20. So what are you doing?" Turns out she couldn't get a job. I said "well if you need a hand with your CV I am more than happy to help!"

Kill them with kindness huh!

Another time a customer was talking about having a boob job. I explained i had had one and had complications so to do her research and gave her some advice on what qualifications to look for in surgeon. She turned to me and said "I'd never have guessed yours are fake! a) they don't look real but really natural! b) you don't look like your the type of girl who would put them to good use!" I just laughed cos it was funny and she said "you should have started with your teeth...you have a crooked tooth! Or maybe have gotten liposuction !"

And the final one...
I have a scar on my neck and was asked what it was from. I explained did had thyroid surgery and she said "aw right! Thought you'd tried to hang yourself and failed! That does explain the weight gain tho. Your getting massive so make sure your not getting lazy as well!"

I did cry after that one! X

Oh my god!! Horrible people xx

One client asked: are you intelligent??!!

One client asked: are you intelligent??!!

Oh...[emoji85]

I would've replied 'are you?' Then asked them to define intelligence.

Haha that "help with your CV "was brilliant! Well done you! [emoji6]

Wow jayM I would have slapped all three of those people

[QUOTE="misseden,
Also once had someone tip me 20 pence when i was mobile. She slid the 20 pence across the kitchen table and said there you go thats for your petrol. I slowly slid it back across to her and said what do you think i drive, a push bike, im alright thank you. I still laugh at that to this day[/QUOTE]

Hahaha what did they say to that?

I had a client once in for a pedicure. The fact I have a son came up in conversation. She looked so shocked when she heard I had a little boy and that I'm 22. She actually asked me "oh that's lovely, do you know who the father is?" Do I know who his father is?! I should bloody hope so we have been together for 5 years! Bloody cheek of it! Lol x
People used to ask this when my nephew came up inconversation. They would ask how old my sister was and when I said (she is younger) they would ask exactly that. When I told them yes they would look releived.

I just finished cleaning my downstairs loo and it smelt all fresh and lemony

Client arrives and sniffs the air and says

What can I smell? Is it fish? [emoji33]
Wtf??! We had a laugh, what is the matter with her sense of smell

[QUOTE="misseden,
Also once had someone tip me 20 pence when i was mobile. She slid the 20 pence across the kitchen table and said there you go thats for your petrol. I slowly slid it back across to her and said what do you think i drive, a push bike, im alright thank you. I still laugh at that to this day

Hahaha what did they say to that?[/QUOTE]
She said well i suppose its not a lot is it. Im laughing now at it!!!!!

I have had so many rude clients over the years!

When I was 19 I worked as a make-up artist for leading brand. I had a lady booked in for a lesson and she came in and I did her make up. I addressed her concerns and did my best to make her feel amazing. she was admiring my finished work in the mirror and turned to me and said "I don't know how you got your job with such bad skin! Has anyone else coming out? I bet it puts people off!"

I had cystic acne and was getting treatment. I also took the most on the counter and was good at what I did. My manager at the time took my for a hot chocolate! Ha!

Then a few years later...

Another time I got asked if it made me feel rubbish "working with loads of beautiful girls?! Not that your ugly just that they are stunning!"

Another time I had a lady turn up late for an appointment. She arrived and I started her cleanse. She seemed really tense so was trying to make conversation. I noticed she had a hoody on for the business school at the university I went to and mentioned it. She asked what I'd done and she said "you have 2 degrees and you just work in a shop! Are you not very ambitious?!" I was like "I'm one of the managers, we take over £3m a year and I manage a team of over 20. So what are you doing?" Turns out she couldn't get a job. I said "well if you need a hand with your CV I am more than happy to help!"

Kill them with kindness huh!

Another time a customer was talking about having a boob job. I explained i had had one and had complications so to do her research and gave her some advice on what qualifications to look for in surgeon. She turned to me and said "I'd never have guessed yours are fake! a) they don't look real but really natural! b) you don't look like your the type of girl who would put them to good use!" I just laughed cos it was funny and she said "you should have started with your teeth...you have a crooked tooth! Or maybe have gotten liposuction !"

And the final one...
I have a scar on my neck and was asked what it was from. I explained did had thyroid surgery and she said "aw right! Thought you'd tried to hang yourself and failed! That does explain the weight gain tho. Your getting massive so make sure your not getting lazy as well!"

I did cry after that one! X

Oh my days the rudeness of some people!
Love ur comeback to the girl who said ur not very ambitious [emoji1][emoji106]

Some of these are awful!
I think the worst one I've had was when I was a trainee, I'd just had a knee op after being on crutches for months (I managed to get around the salon without them to work but barely and without them I couldn't get home) I'd been of for 3 months due to a lot of complications wasn't able to do much except rest and physio so obviously I put on a bit of weight. All of our regulars knew my situation and the stylists had been keeping them updated. So I'd been back at work about 2 weeks still on phased return and a client had asked me about my recovery and was I ready to be back at work (still had a terrible limp) so I told her about the complications and stuff and the woman sitting next to her said she hopes I recovered properly soon one of the trainees took this woman through to shampoo her i was at the other side of the salon by this point and this woman went out of her way to come over to me and said 'you better start doing excersices to get rid of that and started patting my belly I was mortified and could t say anything she then went on going you've already put on a lot of weight you don't want to put on anymore! I walked through to the staff room and started to cry normally I could ignore it but I was in agony had had reactions to pain killers so still felt crap and this woman had overheard me tell a client that! One of the other girls caught me crying and told the stylist doing the woman's hair what happened. the woman got told to apologise her apology went like this 'I'm sorry if I upset you I didn't mean too but you really should do some exercise before you get any fatter'....

Ive been quiet lucky in my 10yeats of this industry........until last week.........new client....older lady....rather prim an proper (we have some older ladies who are hilarious and dont give a hoot) anyway..........doing a manicure.....and she says ooooo are they your nails there lovely how long have you had them done......i replied. Oh about a week, im due to re-do the soon they get a bit tatty looking working with all the products......her reply........oh well i dont see how you would ruin your nails doing this job, its not a very hard job........thankfully i kept my cool and quickly changed the subject........wanted to scream though haha xx

A client told me her 8 year was bigger than me then went on to say "awwww your so did dee" If that's the one complex I have its my height.[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Put a poster up stating some small price rises in April. ( I'm very reasonable priced, probably too low). Lady looked at poster then said..... well someone has to pay for your new kitchen. It was 50p here and there lol

The funniest one I had was an older lady (late60's early 70's maybe) used to come in to get her upper lip and chin waxed, our waxing bit was just in the corner of the salon and she used to tell us to never stop having sex cause as soon as you stop having sex you get a hairy face! It was hilarious but so embarrassing cause she would always shout it just as the salon went quiet. She would tell us about how she was never hairy till she stopped having sex haha. So more dirty rude than rude to me x

That's funny lol

Some of these are awful and so personal!

The worst I've had was a phone conversation when working in IT:

Me: Hello, Network support
Client: I want to speak to an engineer
Me: That would be me. How can I help?
Client: I'm not speaking to you, I need an engineer (sounding pretty frustrated)

The conversation went round in circles for a bit before it became crystal clear that he wasn't going to believe a woman could be an engineer. I passed him to the apprentice who found the whole thing hilarious and barely understood the system.

While I found a lot of clients who made their first contact by phone made it clear they didn't want to speak to me it was usually quite easy to turn the conversation around. Very few people will admit to making a judgement based purely on gender so they are boxed into a corner right from the start. It does pile on the pressure to prove yourself through results though.

Latest posts

Back