Running business from home!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunflowerspray

Reaction score
Hi
I’m looking for advice in regards to running from home , I have a small room , which I currently use for spray tanning , but in the up coming months , I will be promoting nails .
As this is very new to me .. I would love to know, any great tips for starting out .. mainly how many nail polishes did you buy to set yourself up ? Have you got a trade account ? Anything that can help would be gratefully recieved .
Thanks

Have you done a course for offering nails? Do you know what type of nail service you would like to provide? Soft gel, hard gel, manicures, pedicures, enhancements? etc etc!

I’m booked in with sweet squared , I will only be offering the natural nail for now , see how I get on .

Are you just going to be offering manicures with regular nail polish application? (You said natural nails and asked about nail polish rather than gel polish, so that's what I'm assuming). I have to be honest and say I can't remember the last time a client asked for regular polish, except occasionally on toes, so I would definitely recommend you train to do gel polish (Shellac if you're training with Sweet Squared). I also recommend you don't buy anything until you've done your training. ! As frustrating as that is when you're all excited to get going, you could easily end up spending lots of money on the wrong things and trust me, it's expensive enough setting up as it is without wasting money on things you don't need!

You will get excellent training with Sweet Squared and I'm absolutely sure they will give you advice on the next steps to start up. (I haven't personally trained with them, but it is generally accepted in the industry that their training is very thorough). Once you have qualified you will be able to purchase the products you have been trained to use from Sweet Squared (or Ellisons). you will also be eligible to apply for trade cards from wholesalers like Salon Services/Sally's etc.

Good luck with your training!

Thank you for your help , yes it will be shellac , I’m not going to buy anything as yet , but I just wanted to get my head round costs to put it on my business plan .
Thanks again

We aren't allowed to share trade prices on Salon Geek and unfortunately you won't be able to access prices from wholesalers until you're qualified, but you'll get all the products you need to get started, including some bottles of Shellac and a CND curing lamp with your course, so that's a great start.

A rough idea of other things you'll need are:-

A suitable desk (doesn't have to be a specific manicure desk, which are expensive. Check out Ikea, they have various popular options that nail techs go for),

A desk lamp. (I started out with a cheap one but now have a Daylight Company LED D35107 Slimline table lamp from Amazon)

Comfortable chairs for you and your client - could be Therapist stool for you, but again they're quite expensive and some nail techs prefer to just buy an office height adjustable chair/stool, or nice comfy matching chairs in a design you like.

somethung to display your Shellac and other products on (eBay have several options, depending on your style)

Colour pop sticks to show clients (little clear plastic sticks with a nail tip on the end which you can paint with gel polish/Shellac - a few pounds from EBay for 50)

Business cards & price lists. (Try Vista Prnt)

Do you already have a card payment machine for your spray tan business? If not you might find one useful for clients that don't have cash. I have SumUp, but there's others like Izettle.

That's just a few ideas off the top of my head. I hope these are the sort of things you were wanting to know about?!

All above is perfect! Also can I add Ali express is really good for extras like the colour pop (said above) to paint what colours you can offer, nail art extras I buy cheap top coat to do the display nails so I don't use up my topcoat for clients also my tools.

From amazon I brought a proper salon light for £40 and love it.
Chair and table from gumtree.
Keep us posted on your progress [emoji173]️

Latest posts

Back