Runny gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanned85

Reaction score
Hi i'm having a problem, when i do UV gel nails the gel is running off the finger before i have time to put them in the lamp, so when they have cured they are stuck to the sides of the finger ;-( Am i putting too much on?? or is it crap gel? (The Edge) I filed the gel away from the skin after but will these lift now??

Have you tried just doing one nail at a time?

I'd doesn't take any longer. First finger on left hand flash curing while you apply to first finger of right hand and so on

I'd doesn't take any longer. First finger on left hand flash curing while you apply to first finger of right hand and so on

Ah i get ya, yeah might try that then x

Let me know how you get on ;)

What gel are you using? I used to use a gel that that was very runny. Then i switched to salon services gel and its fab, its really thick, so doesnt run. Also always ensure your not using too much product and are leaving a hairline gap around your edges :)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

What gel are you using? I used to use a gel that that was very runny. Then i switched to salon services gel and its fab, its really thick, so doesnt run. Also always ensure your not using too much product and are leaving a hairline gap around your edges :)

The Egde :eek:

The edge is crap in my opinion

Hi there, I use the edge gel to. I would say you are probably using to much, Dont forget it is self leveling to....Hope that helps..
Merry christmas :)

Hi there, I use the edge gel to. I would say you are probably using to much, Dont forget it is self leveling to....Hope that helps..
Merry christmas :)

yeah i think i have, how do you apply it? Merry christmas to you to :)

Have posted a message to you, hope it helps...

Most gels (not all), require flashing between fingers, whether a builder or self-levelling/runnier gel.

Flashing will partially cure the outer layer, freezing the gel into place to prevent running of the gel into the eponychium and sidewalls.
(Flashing also helps to avoid heat-spike in gels with higher levels of photo-initiators)

Also, a trick I used when I first started using gels, was to run an extra small dotting tool along the eponychium to be sure no product was touching, before flashing the nail.

When applying the gel, always make sure product isn't touching the eponychium or sidewalls. Leave a couple millimeters space.
When product touches skin, it creates two issues:
- lifting of the product
- overexposure of the client to the product, which long term can lead to an allergy.

hth's

PS: it takes more time to remove cured product from the skin, and repair lifting issues caused by such things than it does to flash the nails. Food for thought.

I used to get the same prob with The Edge gel so had to flash cure but its so time consuming! I changed to NSI and thats much better for me. In my opinion too The Edge is crap! And thats what most people said to me in the early stages too! :hug:

This sounds like a standard paint on gel. It is what it is! If those that have posted on this thread understood the product they are using then they wouldn't be calling the product crap!!

Of course there are other (probably more expensive) gels that will do more but this is a 'paint on'. This needs to be painted on in thin layers so it doesn't run into the skin. It is tricky to build an apex with it without fiddling around.

To the OP, it sounds like you are putting on far too much. If it has touched the skin it will lift even if you have buffed it off. Apply 2 or 3 thin coats and cure between. Then buff to create a good, natural looking nail.

When I started doing nails, this was the only type of UV gel that was available. It works fine if you know how to use it but has its limitations

This sounds like a standard paint on gel. It is what it is! If those that have posted on this thread understood the product they are using then they wouldn't be calling the product crap!!

Of course there are other (probably more expensive) gels that will do more but this is a 'paint on'. This needs to be painted on in thin layers so it doesn't run into the skin. It is tricky to build an apex with it without fiddling around.

To the OP, it sounds like you are putting on far too much. If it has touched the skin it will lift even if you have buffed it off. Apply 2 or 3 thin coats and cure between. Then buff to create a good, natural looking nail.

When I started doing nails, this was the only type of UV gel that was available. It works fine if you know how to use it but has its limitations

Thanks alot :) think i was trying too much on getting my curves in the right places :confused:

You have to do one finger at a time. Its easiest and fastiest when you have two lamps so while one cures for a few seconds you work on the other hand and switch everything you finish a nail. Or else you waste more time filling the gel that leaked onto cuticle and skin which will cause lifting and an unhappy client.

If that doesnt work try using a gel with a thick viscosity. NSI BODY BUILDER CLEAR is what i use.

As I explained in my post, there are other gels that do different things. You use a builder gel that will build an apex. The OP is using a thin paint on gel that should be painted on......thinly. Bobbing in and out of lamps 1 finger at a time is unnecessary and unprofessional. There is also a strong possibility that doing this will cause a heat spike.

Technicians should use the right gel for the job or at least use the one they have properly.

I do one one finger at a time and I dont find it unprofessional or unnecessary at all. The bulider I use is a self level and if i do all the nails at one time, the first has lost its shape and i spend more time correcting them all then it takes to flash freeze. It flash freezes in the time it takes to do a finger on the oppisite hand making it quicker for me. This is the way i was taught and the way that works for me.

You've missed my point. Using the correct gel for the job is the point I'm making. A paint on gel will always be that and should be painted on in thin layers. A builder gel is something else. If yours needs a 1 finger cure then so be it.

You've missed my point. Using the correct gel for the job is the point I'm making. A paint on gel will always be that and should be painted on in thin layers. A builder gel is something else. If yours needs a 1 finger cure then so be it.

So with this gel that i am using i wont be able to create the c curve will i?? Is that the builder gel i would have to get to do this? x

There are some who apply it thick then buff it off to create the curve. There are also some who have the client rotate her hand so the gel starts to, basically, drop off then, very quickly flip the hand around and under the lamp to hold the shape! This is all just messing about and so hit and miss.

So, in answer to your question, it is best to use a builder gel to create the C curve. In my opinion, it is better to use one that you can at least get 2 nails done at a time.

Latest posts

Back