Rusk developer and Wella toner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairlovebyCatt

Reaction score
Hi, I’m still currently a student...almost graduating !!! Yayyy I have a friend coming over to get some highlights through her hair. I love Wella toners so far and the rusk shine enhancing balancing lotion. I was wondering if anyone has tried using it as a developer for Wella toners yet ? I’m hoping someone will say yes it works before she comes which I will end up doing a test strand but any I formation before hand would be great ! Thanks ♥

Hi, I’m still currently a student...almost graduating !!! Yayyy I have a friend coming over to get some highlights through her hair. I love Wella toners so far and the rusk shine enhancing balancing lotion. I was wondering if anyone has tried using it as a developer for Wella toners yet ? I’m hoping someone will say yes it works before she comes which I will end up doing a test strand but any I formation before hand would be great ! Thanks ♥
I would probably say it's not recommended, Wella will say to use the designated developer. And I'm sure Rusk would say the same.

Firstly, experimenting is great and can lead to all sorts of discoveries and improve your understanding of the colouring process.

However, I’m not sure what the legal position is where you live OP, but in the UK and most of Europe, if you mix developers from a different brand to the tint, you won’t be covered by insurance so apart from experimenting on yourself or on blocks, I wouldn’t do it.

All the insurers include a clause ‘follow manufacturers instructions’. All manufacturers state in their instructions to use the matching developer so if you don’t and the client suffers a reaction, you won’t be covered. Disclaimers have no legal standing here to protect the hairdresser and in fact, can be used by the plaintiff to prove that you knew doing X was potentially dodgy, so we always advise not to use or rely on them.

Obviously, things might work differently in your part of the world so probably best to check.

Also, friends and family can end up being the worst clients when things go wrong, so I’d advise to always keep it professional.

Latest posts

Back