"Russian manicure" technique?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndChanceGirl

Old dog learning new tricks!
Reaction score
I was in a discussion earlier this week with some other techs about what is known as the Russian Manicure.
I have found a video on YouTube you can see for reference here. Basically, it's a sequence of various bits used via an e-file on natural nails. The practitioner appears to file off parts of the skin as well as go underneath it. This was apparently shown in a nail class near me.

As a qualified tech, I was trained to avoid the use of an e-file on a natural nail. We were given reasons why and in a very interesting class, we took a natural nail that had been e-filed and studied it under a microscope. The damage present, even with just a touch from the drill, was dramatic and while you could see it with the naked eye, it was definitely there at a microscopic level. This is what convinced me to continue to avoid use of an e-file on the natural nail.

I know some companies promote it and I have my doubts about them too. Running a sanding band on skin is not the same as dragging it over a nail.

What I would like to know is, would you consider this technique a professional one? Our discussion group was divided and at the risk of sounding like an old fuddy-duddy I wanted to ask this group and gauge the opinions here.

Thanks.

Oh it looks so uncomfortable!
And the end result just looks wrong too, looks like the nail could just fall out. Definitely bad for nails and so much higher risk on infections. I don't get it at all!

I have had this done and really liked it for a men's manicure. It's painless if it is done by a skilled technician. It leaves the cuticles super clean and lasts longer than a regular manicure.

I have had this done and really liked it for a men's manicure. It's painless if it is done by a skilled technician. It leaves the cuticles super clean and lasts longer than a regular manicure.

Last longer? How long? My natural manicures last weeks.

Last longer? How long? My natural manicures last weeks.
I am a guy and have lots of cuticle I get about a week and a half out of a reg manicure because my nails grow quick and my cuticles also grow fast I get two to two and a half weeks of clean cuticles out of this. I work with a lot of inexperienced nail techs (see my profile for an explanation) and have had some rough cuticle treatment so mine might be slightly damaged but this seems to work. I am sure ur technique works great and it's a testament to your skills that your manicures last that long this just works best for me.

If you look at the view in the end you can see that few nails have marks/groves from previous manicure that has grown out... E-file is fine, but this was too much....

Jeez this gave me the heebie jeebies!!!!

Oh it looks so uncomfortable!.

Definitely bad for nails and so much higher risk on infections.

I'm with krum. I only managed to watch about 2 minutes of the video by skipping through as the whole thing made me cringe. Watching the tech cut the cuticle off with nippers actually had my toes curling. Why???? Cut skin will just regrow thicker as scar tissue, you can achieve a better results with regular use of Solar Oil.

No one will convince me that using a efile on the natural nail is acceptable, and that video has just reinforced that view

Last edited:
Ouch! Definitely not something I'd want done to me or that I'd do on my clients.

Have you tried using Solar Oil twice a day? It will take 2/3 weeks of regular use but you will see a massive improvement without any mechanical intervention.

Much less risk of infection and/or damage, which could potentially impact your modelling work on a serious level. Short term you wouldn't be able to work and long term an infection could damage both the nail matrix and nail bed.

Cut skin = open to infection
e-file = drill bits not necessarily sterilised between clients = MAJOR potential health risks

Not professional in my world. Filing skin? Wtf?

I am a guy and have lots of cuticle I get about a week and a half out of a reg manicure because my nails grow quick and my cuticles also grow fast I get two to two and a half weeks of clean cuticles out of this. I work with a lot of inexperienced nail techs (see my profile for an explanation) and have had some rough cuticle treatment so mine might be slightly damaged but this seems to work. I am sure ur technique works great and it's a testament to your skills that your manicures last that long this just works best for me.

Do you mean your eponychium gets thickened fast? Or that cuticle grows up your nail fast? This wouldn't have a huge amount of impact on cuticle.
The more you cut eponychium the harder and thicker it grows back trying to protect itself so you'll end up needing more cutting and work done each time.
Work to remove cuticle not eponychium and regular oiling will give you healthy, attractive nails.

and it only took 5 mins for one nail [emoji23]

I've said it before but you can achieve the same look without hacking at people skin with good aftercare.

even after she cut all the skin around the nail all she needed was a curette to remove any debris... not 4 mins of electric filing [emoji85]

No no no no - I don't care how skilled someone is if any person saw someone coming at THEIR SKIN with an e drill, they'd be nervous. Fact.

I understand that people want to constantly evolve their skills and find better, more efficient ways of removing cuticle but this isn't it. Like others have said, it took ages, you can see ridges from previous treatments, it looks weird and it isn't safe. How anyone could sell this as a BETTER option to safe cuticle removal is beyond me!! Erghhhh gives me the heeby jeebys!! Xx

Have you tried using Solar Oil twice a day? It will take 2/3 weeks of regular use but you will see a massive improvement without any mechanical intervention.

Much less risk of infection and/or damage, which could potentially impact your modelling work on a serious level. Short term you wouldn't be able to work and long term an infection could damage both the nail matrix and nail bed.
Yes great idea I must keep up with it though I am a typical guy and don't do a lot of the things I should on a regular basis. I am new to this whole nail thing as I just fell into it a few months ago and it's kind of snow balled. I also took your previous advice Trinity on hair removal and the ices looked much better. I just did a new shoot and will post b4 and afters but it will be a separate post as I have questions and would like feedback. Thank u all for your help it's great to see people care so much 4 the well being of their clients here in the states we have nail salons on every block and sanitation licensing and professionalism often get lost in the volume.

Do you mean your eponychium gets thickened fast? Or that cuticle grows up your nail fast? This wouldn't have a huge amount of impact on cuticle.
The more you cut eponychium the harder and thicker it grows back trying to protect itself so you'll end up needing more cutting and work done each time.
Work to remove cuticle not eponychium and regular oiling will give you healthy, attractive nails.
Thank you for the advice I am new to the nail world and am still learning the ins and outs of nail care see my profile for my story I am happy for any and all suggestions that people give me. I am a regular guy who just happened to. Stumble into the industry on the modeling end and what started as a one time free gel manicure became a whole side business real quick I am glad for advice from such professional people.

The technique they use is painless. I had a course in Czech Republic and trained with e-file for the cuticle and there is no harm at all. Russian Nail technician are one of the best tech. After my experience I would not be afraid to use it. I tried it on myself. I also do use cuticle nippers like I was taught on manicure course. The video looks that is painful.

About eight and a half minutes for ONE finger. So, almost an hour and a half JUST for cuticle work. No, thanks!

I watched the video... I wish I spoke Russian.. Or read it.. I'm just curious what the tech was saying...I don't use an efile but makes me want to try this ONLY on myself...lol

Latest posts

Back