Rust!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
Yesterday i bought some disinfectant/sanitiser.. admitadly i bought it from my local Hardware store after much umming and ahhing.. The price was UNBELIEVABLE and the directions were as follows..

• DOES NOT RUST
  • DOES NOT DULL
  • STORES QUALITY METAL OVERNIGHT
Place Instruments in solution for 10 minutes between clients and store them for 24 hours a day for instruments that are disinfected and looking like new

Well guess what!! i woke up this morning to find my Nippers/clippers/cuticle tools ((that have all been left overnight in my usual brand Lets Touch)) Floating in rust deposits and they are stained and look rather unsightly!!
can anyone help? how do i get them back to their goodlooking selves.. what disinfectant do you guys use? I have a glass Marvy sanitising jar so im "pretty sure" it cant have reacted with the jar itself..even though the stainless steel lid is stained!!:irked:
So tell me please.. :rolleyes:.. have i ruined my tools for the sake of a few bucks??

:smack:

U can try scrubbing them with steel wool to remove the rust stains... and if that takes it off never use that stuff again :eek: also contact the manufacturer and let them know it does bloody rust! if that doesnt work your in for new tools :(

Thanks CC, I think i will ring the manufacturer. I scrubbed with steel wool like you said and most of the staining has come away.. what a blimin' mess!:irked:

My usual brand has been out of stock for weeks and i was getting a bit desperate.. Does everyone use a Wholsale bought sanitiser for there metal tools or is there a cheaper option? I found washing in soapy water then air drying/ sanitising/ airdrying a bit of a hassle when i could plonk them in my marvy and be done with it.. but the "lets touch" brand that my W/S stocks is not only expensive but also hard to get when i need it! anything worked for anone in the past..:confused:

I pretty much just use Isopropal alcohol sprayed on or soaked in depending on the impliment... if I ever run out I can get smaller bottles at the chemist if I need it, also hospital grade disinfectant is available from most chemists as well.. 2-3 times a week in a pot of boiling boiling water for 20 mins and they are pretty much clean as a whistle.

Rust marks can also be removed using WD40.

Given time, any stainless steel item with develop rust marks when left in any solution - even if it does contain rust inhibitors.

This is why it essential to follow manufacturers instructions - and these vary from brand to brand.

If you have followed instructions fully, then I agree that you should advise the manufacturer.

I pretty much just use Isopropal alcohol sprayed on or soaked in depending on the impliment... if I ever run out I can get smaller bottles at the chemist if I need it, also hospital grade disinfectant is available from most chemists as well.. 2-3 times a week in a pot of boiling boiling water for 20 mins and they are pretty much clean as a whistle.

I also use alcohol, I haver never tried any other products.

Saloncide which is from Hairmart..fantastically priced! I think it was around $30 for 5 litres..you only need a capful per 5OOml.

I use these products but unsure if they are available in Australia?
mundo

For UK readers to this thread, Local Authorities have some differing requirements (although this will change soon as they come more into line).

You really should follow them even if you are mobile!

I know Mundo follow guidelines and try to meet requirements. You could have a look at the Habia Code of Practice for info

Latest posts

Back