Ruth no longer doing websites-recommend anyone else?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't use peopleperhour imo

Seconding a post on Facebook by Carl/Verve...

As nice as they maybe, its often noted that although based in India etc (which is nothing wrong with that), copyright rules/laws are someone relaxed/more over looked meaning you are likely to be provided with a logo/designs/website containing, lets say, unathorised use of images, fonts and web content.

You're better off sticking with Ruth and Carl, or another web designer like myself (not promoting myself here), who know the rules on image rights etc.

As nice as they maybe, its often noted that although based in India etc (which is nothing wrong with that), copyright rules/laws are someone relaxed/more over looked meaning you are likely to be provided with a logo/designs/website containing, lets say, unathorised use of images, fonts and web content.

You're better off sticking with Ruth and Carl, or another web designer like myself (not promoting myself here), who know the rules on image rights etc.

I was just curious about peopleperhour as I'd heard of them before. Thought freelancers signed up to use it, so not everyone was based in India??

Prior to training as a photographer over seven years ago, I contracted as a senior web designer for seven years and still keep my hand in now, so completely familiar with image rights etc. ;)

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I was just curious about peopleperhour as I'd heard of them before. Thought freelancers signed up to use it, so not everyone was based in India??

Prior to training as a photographer over seven years ago, I contracted as a senior web designer for seven years and still keep my hand in now, so completely familiar with image rights etc. ;)

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

It is that indeed however a lot of the prices on there (they bid for your job and the percentage the poepleperhour website take from the job is massive too) it makes you wonder how can they possibly be doing stuff so cheap?

I look into people selling there SEO services and all I could imagine is a sure way of getting on the wrong side of google.

Not necessarily true. Before I started in beauty I was working doing graphic design and most of the work I gained was through people per hour - and I am definitely not based in India!!

Can be a really good resource - as long as you're careful who you give your job to you can find some really talented people on there. I've found freelancers on there and have also been given jobs on there. I think mostly you can see the standard of people's work from their portfolios or from the quality of the bid they send to you for the job. And the thing to bear in mind is when someone is only charging you £10 for a fully working website - it's probably not going to be the best. You definitely get what you pay for :)

Just like to add it can be a great resource if you are looking for a freelancer to do your website/logo/flyers etc at a relatively cheap price - but definitely agree with Banner Penguin; the freelancers do not make very much money from it after PPH have deducted the fees!

Sorry, I wasnt saying PPH are based in India etc, but it may be that some of other bidding for your work are..

And whilst that isn't a problem in my book, I'd rather keep it nearer to home and support/pay for little businesses based in the UK, or even better, in my home town.

You can choose which designer you want to use and as it provides info around where people are based, this really isn't an issue!
From my experience most people on the site are based in the UK anyway and so like yourselves, they'll know the rules :)

Most freelancers work from home and so don't have the overheads that other businesses might have meaning they can charge cheaper rates. Having said that, the site has people that charge different rates and so it can be matched to people's budgets.
I absolutely believe in supporting small (and new!) businesses and to me, PPH is a great way to do this.

Edit. If anyone wants a UK based graphic designer recommendation (who is on the PPH site) DM me. He's lovely, very talented and you can see examples of his work on his website. He also builds/designs websites.

Last edited:
It is that indeed however a lot of the prices on there (they bid for your job and the percentage the poepleperhour website take from the job is massive too)

This isn't the case at all, it's actually very reasonable!
3.5% for first £175 and then 1.5% after that.
Bearing in mind that you can then contract with people again (outside of the site and so therefore don't pay any charges) then it's a very good introductory tool. For example, I've just got a 3 month contract from someone who initially bought work from me via the site.
Works for me!!

You can choose which designer you want to use and as it provides info around where people are based, this really isn't an issue!
From my experience most people on the site are based in the UK anyway.

Most freelancers work from home and so don't have the overheads that other businesses might have meaning they can charge cheaper rates. Having said that, the site has people that charge different rates and so it can be matched to people's budgets.
I absolutely believe in supporting small (and new!) businesses and to me, PPH is a great way to do this.

This is also one of the reasons I think PPH is good because it allows people who are new in that industry to do some great work, at affordable prices. They do still make money and get to build up a large and varied portfolio of work. Sometimes people who are new at something are also extra eager to please people so they will come back again.

I've also just had my new logo produced by someone on there and I'm really pleased with it :) it's great if you are on a budget too!

I'm looking to get a logo done as the guy I asked is messing me around. Any recommendations?

Well- I might as well eh? seeing as you asked :)

I've done lots of SG members logos- I'm sure there's lots of alternatives but this is my website if you need more information.

www.vervedesigns.co.uk

Just click on the logo design page if you want more information on that specifically.

I'm curious though, in what way are you being messed about?

Well- I might as well eh? seeing as you asked :)

I've done lots of SG members logos- I'm sure there's lots of alternatives but this is my website if you need more information.

www.vervedesigns.co.uk

Just click on the logo design page if you want more information on that specifically.

I'm curious though, in what way are you being messed about?

I am looking at your website now. Have heard quite a few good things about you and your service. By messed around I mean that I had found someone to design my logo, he took details but seems to be unreachable most of the time. No longer responds to messages, thank god I didn't pay anything upfront to start with.

Ah well- I'm glad to say I'm not like that. In fact, I just took my laptop away on holiday so I could answer emails.

Sad I know, and even my clients told me so! :)

There are lots of "designers" out there who are either amateurs or part-time who get a pirate copy of Photoshop and suddenly they're in business. It's much like the complaints we see on this site of "messers" in the hair and beauty industry etc.

I'd strongly suggest you research where you're getting designs done, 99.9% of my own business comes from recommendations, but obviously I'm not the only designer in the world! Lots of us out there...

Dnx- No, I don't offer web design ( I've done my own) but I do get work for my 'other' business side.

I've bought work from graphic designers on the site and also virtual admin services.
I do know of people on there simply because freelancers often know / use other freelancers.
I think its a brilliant resource- there's something for everyone, websites, business planning, designers, copywriters, translators and there's often unique opportunities eg. MUA needed for event etc.

It allows you to ask people to all send you examples / evidence of their work and so you get to compare numerous people all in one go.

A deposit for any work is held in an Escrow account and so you don't pay until the job is complete and you're happy.

I use elance got more work on there so far.. but doing some things for a friend at the moment so I am pretty tied up (hence why I haven't done any work on there for a good 2 weeks so far...).

Just a general tip though for if someone's finding it hard getting work, I was told by a mentor of mine, one of them who started up pitchspring (a partnet who did the web dev stuff for it) decided on something called 'cause for action' basically he has on that site, 3 options for things they provide for.

The idea is each one takes you to a contact form for a free consultation to do with pitching a business venture with several partners who are assigned to that site.. very thought provoking, in so much you're directly telling someone what you do.

Bit of a change of plan, but I am no longer taking on any more websites for the time being. I basically need to focus on maintaining websites for my existing clients; there just hasn't been enough time to work on new sites. Hopefully that will change in the future (I have plans to "reboot" the website side of things in due course, with a slightly different business model, which will hopefully make it a lot easier to manage client expectations).

As ruth is no longer doing websites we are hoping to attempt to fill her very big shoes :)

We are doing some very cheap sites to build a quick portfolio and have some great beauty related sites pre coded ready to go!

If anyone is interested please PM us.

Try Duck on water, they did my website and it's fantastic. The guy really talked me through everything and encorperated everything I wanted. Plus my page now ranks pretty high as he's very good at seo and a guru at Wordpress! Search duck on water web design and they'll come straight up in google :) xxx

Latest posts

Back