Sacking traditional smile line app in favour of reverse app method

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hello

Please bear with me if this is long.

Since finishing my Creative l&p foundation course I feel that I am coming along well with most aspects of my application. I still practice like mad, just as much as I did when training, and I have never got my head out of a tutorial, or off this site!!
Despite this, one thing I am just not mastering is smile line application. At the end of my application my smile lines just dont look crisp enough. Clients have been happy with them, but with the greatest of respect, what do they know!! (to put this more diplomatically, they dont see them through the same critical eye as I do as a professional). I've got some skill building next month, so I will be asking to cover smile lines when I go there.

Anyway, I had a client last night who wanted forever french, and I had been having a practice that afternoon on some cheap tips I got off ebay. I have heard of reverse application although havent had any training, but thought I would have a go. I cant tell you how delighted I was, my smile line was crisp and precise!! So, I did this on my client last night and she said it was the best set of nails she has ever had.

Because of this I have decided to leave the traditional method behind me and use reverse app in future. I will still ask for guidance when I do my skill building next month, but feel sure I will stick to reverse app (unless this new app method thats being unveilled changes everything).

How many of you use reverse app? Do you know of any disadvantages of doing it this way? Is it an acceptable professional method? I've tried to find a tutorial on it but cant, I found one on google which involves filing the smile line in with an e-file but I dont want to use an efile.

Any advice or tips folks???

here is the link for reverse application hun....youngs nails do it and so do i...i find the smile lines are more crisp aswell xx
Young Nails templates/video

Whatever helps you get a good result and builds up your confidence cant be wrong.:hug:

The reverse application is nothing new at all ... it is just another way ... and if it works for you and you get your apex, strength and balance right doing it this way then go for it. There is nothing second class about doing nails this way.

The reason CND teach students in the way they do is that MOST do get the balance right working in 3 zones from the beginning ... which is often more difficult for students to learn to do than doing nice smiles!

WOW

think this may be the answer to my smile line problems

Was it me or did that electric file noise go right through you?

I enjoyed watching but don't think I could change my technique at this stage.

Think I'm ready to go through my 'inspired' stage again!!! Haven't been that interested lately but glad to see it's back!

Just watched the vid and had to try it.. FANTASTIC.... my smile has never been better, this is definately what I am going to be doing from now on. I love it, however, don't think I'll be using and e-file, I think you can finish just as quick with a conventional file.

I loved that video...was that Greg Salo? Question to all you reversers?........how do you rebalance with the reverse application without removing the whole lot of the first application? Just wondering how it could be done, without carving out the smile with an efile?

I loved that video...was that Greg Salo? Question to all you reversers?........how do you rebalance with the reverse application without removing the whole lot of the first application? Just wondering how it could be done, without carving out the smile with an efile?

Such a good point Cathie . . . interested in reading the replies to that one.

I enjoyed watching the vid too

On the backfill techniques, he is showing on the ring finger how to do reverse rebalance with minimal filing, isn't he? :confused:
On the pinky he is doing the traditional carving out the smile line..so theres two different ways shown.

I love the way he uses his drill...very masterful and confident!:)

i use the reverse method on myself when i do a CBM. the only problem i find with it for rebalance etc, is that i have to take the whites completely off, then reshape smiles, back down to where i want them (i have very short nails, so have to extend the beds too). i do the fills the normal way.. another thing is, if when doing a reverse on a client with short beds, is you need to use forms to get the bed the right length, then more forms to do your whites (hope that made sense)

for the life in me i cannot manage to do reverse application at all :confused:, dont know why , i have watched the video loads and still cant do it :lol:

On the backfill techniques, he is showing on the ring finger how to do reverse rebalance with minimal filing, isn't he? :confused:
On the pinky he is doing the traditional carving out the smile line..so theres two different ways shown.

I love the way he uses his drill...very masterful and confident!:)
I can't have watched enough of the video :oops: I'll have another look!

another thing is, if when doing a reverse on a client with short beds, is you need to use forms to get the bed the right length, then more forms to do your whites (hope that made sense)

If I have a client like this I always use tips to extend the nail bed, much quicker than having to fit forms twice (for me anyhow!) Also there is minimal blending required as the area where the tip is applied is masked by the custom blend pink.

Cathie, Hopefully i watched it properly..it helps without sound, i think. My kiddies were still fast asleep 7am sunday morning while i watched it:lol:

for the life in me i cannot manage to do reverse application at all :confused:, dont know why , i have watched the video loads and still cant do it :lol:

I felt like this too when I first heard about this method, I just coldn't get my hear around it! Then last year I did an Imagination Nail Art course with Claire Kelly of Youngs & once I saw it being done in the "flesh" as it where, it clicked.

Maybe if you are at the next show (Excel?) it would be worth visiting the Young Nails stand & having a nail done in this method as a demo, it may help you to get your head around it, worked for me!

I felt like this too when I first heard about this method, I just coldn't get my hear around it! Then last year I did an Imagination Nail Art course with Claire Kelly of Youngs & once I saw it being done in the "flesh" as it where, it clicked.

Maybe if you are at the next show (Excel?) it would be worth visiting the Young Nails stand & having a nail done in this method as a demo, it may help you to get your head around it, worked for me!

Fab idea!! Will deffo do that as i am having a few problems with my smiles. Can never get them even or crisp enough! Will wait till i go to excel (MY FIRST SHOW AAAHHHH!) to have a porper look at it in the "flesh"! Thanks!
This method does look really good though i must admit! x hannah x

Erm, I am being totally thick? I haven't watched the other video, but would you not just rebalance by thinning down the product and starting again by placing the pink and white in the new places?:confused:

I think that anyone struggling with their smile lines should have a go at the reverse application method. Although just watching a dvd might not be enough, a demonstration or a one-to-one will give a much better insight to the method. Try it and never say never!!:lol:

Erm, I am being totally thick? I haven't watched the other video, but would you not just rebalance by thinning down the product and starting again by placing the pink and white in the new places?:confused:
Have a look at the other vid.."backfill techniques"

Latest posts

Back