Safer salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you are missing something. The fact that this is a new page. And the pictures posted so far have NOT been corrected yet. Also the fact that there is other information on it not JUST pictures. They're only about 4 pics on it two of theses are informing clients that they have the RIGHT to ask about sterilisation, sanitation, to see insurance certificates, the fact that tools need to be sterilised between each use, that towels must be changed between each and every client. 😊

I'm sorry Rachel this is all so negative! You clearly have the best intentions at heart! I just think there is not enough of the right information to make it right to promote to the public!

It's still the wrong focus with no clear direction to look at the solutions (also tools do not need to be sterilised between clients!) I've looked at your Twitter account and can't see any clear info either.

I realise that this is voluntary support for the industry for the best of reasons that has the intention to help us all! It just isn't ready for promotion to the consumer yet, certainly not on Twitter or an open FB page.

I think you are correct that geeks are focusing on the scary pictures and not on the associated information, but that is precisely the point. The website has to be designed so that the information takes precedence, not the scary pictures. After all, if we focus on the pictures, what do you think clients and the public will do? It is a fine line to walk between presenting disturbing images of possible damage for the purpose of educating people and scaremongering (witness Dr. Oz!). I think we have to be especially careful to avoid scaremongering because it is a device often used against us.

Also, you have to be careful when addressing this issue to such a broad audience. The requirements for hygiene and sanitation vary greatly from country to country and state to state. For example, in my state sterilization is not required between clients. And clients have very different rights depending on where the tech is located.

You have received some very good advice here, especially from mum, izzidoll, and jacquelineanna. I understand that this is still a work in progress, but I think you should take down the site until it is properly structured to achieve your goals. I think your intentions are clearly good and honorable, but the site as it stands now does not do service to those intentions.

Last edited:
Tagging yourself in a town and saying you've been to a horrendous nail bar there is counterproductive. This is only going to lead to speculation if someone from the area sees the post.
I think the idea is good but before setting up the page maybe have a list of facts and articles you can upload regularly instead of starting the page and asking others to do the work for you. Because then you won't have a situation where you have 'nothing to do with' content being uploaded which people are complaining about.

The purpose of this page is to educate the public the dangers of salons/nail technicians that do not follow standard hygiene, procedures and why they are so important.
Some members of the public (and poorly educated techs) are not aware HOW serious the consequences are when not looking for treatments.
I often get huffed and stropped at when I tell clients that they need a patch test before certain treatments! I have to explain to them that it is NOT me being difficult and feel that they need to be shown the consequences. Xx

The pictures are the first thing you see people who are a bit screamish probably aren't going to look any further and just click off the page.

I did read the posts as well but what has stuck in my mind is the horrible pics rather than the information.

I'm all for educating people on the importance of health & hygiene in salons, I'm just not sure shock tactics is the best way to go about it.

X

As a consumer/ non nail geek- I don't really get it?

How am I suppose to tell that the place I'm going to has bad hygiene issues.
What do you do? Just promote awareness or do you do nails too?

It's kinda of like if I posted lots of pics of bad hair or bleach burns from clients Ived 'saved'.

I'm not really into publicly trashing other pros - or trashing them to my clients.

Before and afters could be nice way to put it?

I personally didn't like the fact of you publicly slating local salons for bad practise. If you carry on I can see a few solicitors getting involved for defamation and slander.

I know you didn't actually name these salons, but a few clicks of links you've posted pin points your location, it won't be rocket science for local people in your area (the owners of these salons too!) to soon sus out you're referring to them. Not to mention post tagging in the area they are in...

Eg...I went to a salon local to me and they were using a drill on natural nail with no barbicide in sight....ETC...

Just be very careful, you have your own website accessible too so it won't take long for the word to get passed around that you are posting all you do about them.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I personally didn't like the fact of you publicly slating local salons for bad practise. If you carry on I can see a few solicitors getting involved for defamation and slander.

I know you didn't actually name these salons, but a few clicks of links you've posted pin points your location, it won't be rocket science for local people in your area (the owners of these salons too!) to soon sus out you're referring to them. Not to mention post tagging in the area they are in...

Eg...I went to a salon local to me and they were using a drill on natural nail with no barbicide in sight....ETC...

Just be very careful, you have your own website accessible too so it won't take long for the word to get passed around that you are posting all you do about them.

Yeah I understand your point with that one. It has been delt with😊

So, I've looked at the page via a FB search rather than the link on this thread. Sorry, but it's beyond shocking! This is NOT how to promote 'safe salons' to the public! No one would ever have their nails done again!

Show what is great about nail services! Show gorgeous nails, both natural and enhanced. Explain what potential clients should look for. Focus on the positives!

These pictures are scaremongering at its worst!

I really so understand the reasons behind it but they are misguided. Please think again! This is NOT helping the pro industry

Interesting if you google it, this thread comes up rather than any info on what your actually promoting! Prob not great for business!

I get what you're trying to do but I think it looks like scaremongering and to me that's not constructive.

Sorry to say too but, the first impression of your actual website is more promoting "look what Gel and Acrylic enchantments do to your nails" it's not until you click into it and come off the main page can you actually see what you do.

If I was new to nail enhancements, I'd be running for the hills

All I can see in my mind now is that if I go for a pedicure, I might lose my leg! Haha!

Your heart is in the right place, but I agree with the other comments that this is not the best way as it can create a negative view of nail salons to customers. We have enough problems from idiots like Dr Oz causing scares which we as professionals then have to defend endlessly.

I think your message would be much more effective by focusing on the positives. To customers this means showing what is a good set of nails and explaining why (e.g. how a correctly sculpted apex and c-curve increase strength/reliability and allow the optimum amount of material to be used) or by showing before and after nails.

If you want to educate professionals, I personally think the best way is either through closed forums or Facebook groups, or by writing articles for Scratch etc - away from customers eyes.

Can I just add one more thing. The FB page that this appears to centre on is actually connected to a salon. By liking it will promote a salon.

I do think the issue is commendable but it isn't well thought out.

Educating the public is good but not in this way.

Latest posts

Back