Sales incentive help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxon

Reaction score
I have a small waxing and tanning salon with 3 staff.
I'm trying to get them to sell more retail products so for the first time I've set them all small targets to meet this month based on their previous sales (they needed to hit double what they normally sell). If they reached this id give them a $50 gift voucher to what ever store they liked.
It has worked well and they are all looking to meet their targets.
Problem is our retail range is very cheap (as we don't sell facial ranges it's all pretty basic lotions and tan aftercare etc) and the profit I get isn't huge so this sort of incentive isn't going to work long term as for one of my casual staff members, who has a huge problem retailing, the $50 card is pretty much all the profit I made from the products she's sold.
So I was thinking of offering 10% of retail sales from every month but like I said our range isn't very big so it wouldn't be a huge amount they would be getting and I'm worried it wouldn't be enough to keep up their sales.
What are your thoughts? Is something small better than nothing or is there a better way I can go about it?

I pay 10% commission on all retail but we sell a lot of skincare and make up so the other day my staff member retailed £300 netting herself a tidy £30 which is pretty good in one day.

You could do a lower commission up to x amount then a higher commission above x amount. That way they're all earning commission but the good sellers are earning more.

Vic x

Do you charge your employees for any waxing or tanning they get done at the salon? The reason i ask is because a salon i worked at provided staff a free treatment of their choice if sales targets were met. We did offer more services though so not sure if this would be beneficial to your staff. Another salon i worked at allowed staff to have any treatment they wanted free of charge (after hours only) but did not offer anything if sales targets were met. I really enjoyed that, knowing you are getting your treatments for free motivated me to sell as much as i could as i felt it was something i should do for their generosity. Another place i worked at pushed us to make sales equal to our wage. Each month we were sat down and got lectured if we didnt meet our targets. Put a lot of stress on the staff and made it a terrible place to work at. What if you have a chat to your staff and see what ideas they have. They will appreciate you taking an interest in their imput

They are allowed to have any treatment for free in quite times, mostly they do the services themselves eg waxing. I'm really flexible with the girls, I figure as long as they are responsible about it I'm fine with it. I also have no problems with them popping out and getting a coffee etc if they have a break between clients. I feel I'm a really laid back boss but maybe too laid back...

I'm thinking of keeping the same targets they had this month and if they hit them they get the 10% of sales. If not, no commission. That way they don't get lazy about just selling 1 or 2 things. Hopefully it will push them to retail more in hopes of them getting the commission...

Just giving this a bump as I am looking to change my incentives. Currently the incentive is if you earn 3.5 times your wage you get 10% of anything over target. My girl has come up short every month and not through lack of hard work so I was contemplating changing it to weekly and dropping the target.

What does everyone else do?

Latest posts

Back