Sally Salon Services trade card question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnaj25

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how the trade card affects the VAT in sallys salon services. I used my trade card but I still got charged VAT. On the website, the products are a different price. For example I bought acrylic liquid which was xxx online but I got charged xxx in the shop overall I was charged xxx euro when I should have only being charged xxx euro. How is this possible, was I overcharged?

[no trade prices please - thanks]

Last edited by a moderator:
The shop was correct to charge you VAT on your purchases. All hair and beauty wholesalers will operate this way.

By law, VAT is added to all stock prices when you buy from any shop that has a turnover that is above the VAT threshold. When you buy from Salon Services online, the price you see advertised for each item is the basic price minus VAT. When you come to pay for your basket of goods, whether online or in the store, the VAT will be added to the final bill.

When you buy a furniture product from Dunnes or IKEA for instance, as you are a customer, the VAT (23%) is automatically included in the retail advertised selling price. If you look at a few receipts for goods you’ve bought (not food), you will see the basic retail price and the amount of VAT being charged, is broken down on the receipt, before the final total figure.

If you are operating as a Self employed business owner and have reached the VAT threshold (your takings have exceeded €37,500 - service providers only), you will have to start charging your clients VAT. However, when you purchase products from the wholesaler, the VAT you pay on supplies for your business charged by the wholesaler can be deducted in your tax return. By making it clear what the separate VAT costs are, it makes it easier for the self employed person to manage their tax return more efficiently.

The Trade card simply allows you to purchase products in a wholesalers. The benefit of using a wholesaler is the range of professional brand products they stock, you can’t pop into your local high street shop to purchase S-Pro brand products and other brands tend to be cheaper than buying from your high street pharmacy.

When a wholesaler runs a “VAT-free” promotion, they still by law have to charge you the VAT on the goods, but they give you a discount off the retail price equivalent to the VAT being added.

PLEASE NOTE: The above figure apply to the Republic of Ireland, not the UK where VAT thresholds and rates are different.

I have to remind my boyfriend of this every time we are in Salon services and he thinks he’s getting a bargain

Wow, I didn’t know that. Thanks! I will consider it next time I visit a beauty salon.
I thought beauty services were VAT-free because I don’t buy anything material and they are not shops. Good to know that sometimes their bargain offers are there just to make the purchase “VAT-free.”
But I have a question. Should VAT be indicated in pay stubs somewhere? I use a pay stub maker to make my job easier and more detailed pay stubs. But should I indicate VAT for the services we purchased as a company? I hope this question does not sound too stupid.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back