Salon business rates & Covid Small Business Grant advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro-Beauty

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a self-employed sole trader working part-time from home. I converted my garage to a salon back in 2011. I got planning permission. Have a license. Have health and safety checks from the council who come out, etc. I was told by my valuation office via email I wouldn't need to pay business rates as the home salon could have also been used for storage/personal use if I wanted, I wasn't advised that I most likely wouldn't have paid rates anyway being so small. So that was that! If I was put on the register and listed as getting small business rates relief, I would have then been invited to the Covid Small Business Grant-which I never had :(

My salon is 17ft by 10ft and within this space is a bathroom behind the partition wall.

Anyone else had this? Assuming I can't ask for a review of access to the grant? Any advice moving forward appreciated... Thank you.

Last edited:
You wouldn't be entitled as you do not pay Business Rates, you are however entitled to the SEISS, which is 80% of your profit for the 3 months of March, April & May, averaged from the last 3 years. You need to be quick as I believe the cut off date is very soon.

All the information is available on the Gov.uk website. Or MoneySavingExpert website has lots of information.

I'd be wary of asking for a review, if they change their minds you'll be billed for the business rates backdated to your opening date. You could end up paying more in back rates than the grant offered.

Thank you i thought it would only be backdated to 2017 and that I wouldn't pay anyway being so small, in earnings and size 17ft by 10ft (salon is 12ft by 10ft without bathroom)?

I cant get the SEISS as I am a registered carer for my child which was more than my income.

Last edited:
If you get business rate releif you will get the grant !

Do you have your business rate releif papers ?

Contact your local council, local authorities are processing the payments

I was never put on the register so not listed as having business rates relief :(

I was never put on the register so not listed as having business rates relief :(
Then, unfortunately, I don't think there is anything you can do.

Latest posts

Back