Salon chair design

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalia Rodríguez

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm an industrial design student, and my current project is about the design of a salon chair.

I am interested in getting to know what your needs as hairdressers are. What do you think your chair needs to have in order to make your job more comfortable?, what kind of additional components would you add?, what do you complain the most in regard to your clients? Is there something that bothers you about the chair you use when working?

Thank you very much!

I like a chair to be really sturdy. I hate when you put the brake on and it still moves!

I also like ones with a built in foot rest so the client doesnt scuff the walls!

As a shorter stylist, im only 5"4, I sometimes fins some chairs dont quite go low enough for me!! This is really annoying haha

I agree that a chair has to be mega sturdy it's a nightmare when they move! Definitely easy to clean! Has to be durable because chemicals can get spelled on them, more chemicals clean it etc. Needs to have a good range of movevent for raising and lowering as I sometimes struggle to have chairs high enough and other struggle with them being too high. Definitely agree with the foot rest cause if clients feet don't touch the floor they will rest them on the walls . They also have to look good as everyone wants their salon to look amazing x

The chair design needs to be kept as simple/clean as possible.
Leads from electrical appliances can easily get 'hooked' up on the arms.
Also, decorative features such as studs, buttons, piping, make the chair harder to keep clean, as hair clipping like to 'gather' there! :eek:

I totally agree with @jaimereid92, I am also short, and it would be nice to have a chair that went just a bit lower than the standard.
And not too square! I worked in a salon where the chairs were so wide that sometimes I felt like I couldn't get close enough cause the chair was so boxy!

I've found clients are getting bigger. My chairs look big, until they sit in them.

So a spacious chair without looking huge. And being too big to get the cords round.

Easy cleaning.

And a chair that goes low enough!

I've found clients are getting bigger. My chairs look big, until they sit in them.

So a spacious chair without looking huge. And being too big to get the cords round.

Easy cleaning.

And a chair that goes low enough!

Chairs where I am are awful. The verona ones from salon services. Stupid arms get in way. Stupid feet with stupid rubber stoppers that most of which are missing so scrapes floor when moving them and they are too high as well.
And the build of hairspray etc is hideous looking. Though not on my chairs cos I actually clean mine.

Latest posts

Back