Salon experience?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeauty82

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, sorry if not but i'm desperate for someone to give me some advice.

I qualified as a beauty therapist at Level 2 in 2012 and have since done a Level 3 course in Swedish massage as I was told by my tutor it would give me the equivelent to level 3 in beauty therapy when added to my level 2. They didn't offer a course in level 3 beauty or I would have just done that! I have my gel polish app certificate and would like to progress onto artificial nails.I have tried to get work in a salon for a long time but nobody will give me a chance with just a level 2, even tho I have the massage too coz I have no salon exp!!! How can I get exp if nobody will give me a chance?? I was considering going back to a different college and enrolling for a Level 3 beauty course but am worried I won't be able to work it around my kids. Then out of the blue a salon I had contacted rang and offered me the chance of a Level 3 apprenticeship. I would love to take this oppotunity but I'm worried I'm too old at 31. Appreticeships are usually aimed at younger people and I'm really worried I will be looked at as less of a proffessional going backwards instead of forwards. Im so desperate for the exp so I can gain employment but don't know if this is the way to go!!
Sorry for rambling, pls can someone offer me any advice or experiences of their own in this situation? Thank you

Did you do work experience when you were at college?

Personally if you can take it as the experience and training you will get will be invaluable to your career....it is hard to get that first step of experience but to us salon owners its essential as we dont really have the time to spend with you that you would need if you didnt have any...its like driving a car, you pass your test and officially ypu can drive but its not until months later that you really know the size of your car and being able to park it anywhere!

Dont worry about your age, if you eant something enough go for it plus you will get through it far quicker than someone younger than you anyway due to having more common sense etc....(no offensive to anyone..i have four children between 17 and 20 so kind of know what im talking about!! But yes there is always an exception to the rule!)

Hey, I did level 1 at college, which then went to level 5 (just the way they did it) and then after applying for level 6 they changed it to spa therapies. I had a pretty bad car accident and missed all the microdermabrasion and body wraps & as they changed the course I had no gel extension qualification or eyelash extension/perming etc. I couldn't get a job anywhere either so I rented a room in a salon & I'm doing great! Yeah sure it's slow at times & people think hmm only being doing it 4 years...I'm only 21 but I love it!

Did you do work experience when you were at college?

No unfortunately I didn't x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for your quick replies. I do want it really badly and I think I will be ok financially whilst doing it,I just feel people will look at me like I don't know what i'm doing being the apprentice when I have already gained some qualifications, although I know there is much more to learn and gain from more experienced professionals and i'm keen to do this. My confidence has plummeted since leaving college as I've had little practice and to be honest i'm nervous about being in a salon and looking stupid at my age,I don't know what to do! :( x

Thank you for your quick replies. I do want it really badly and I think I will be ok financially whilst doing it,I just feel people will look at me like I don't know what i'm doing being the apprentice when I have already gained some qualifications, although I know there is much more to learn and gain from more experienced professionals and i'm keen to do this. My confidence has plummeted since leaving college as I've had little practice and to be honest i'm nervous about being in a salon and looking stupid at my age,I don't know what to do! :( x

I would 100% take the apprenticeship offer. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, qualified in Level 2 and 3 but have no salon experience so finding it pretty impossible to get a job and from this my confidence has been knocked. I regret not doing an apprenticeship while being at college. I've now got an interview for an apprentice receptionist in a salon with the opportunity to take on a therapist role, sometimes you have to take a step back to go further. If the wage works for you then I would jump at at the chance, I think you'll do a lot better then you think. Good luck. xx

I would 100% take the apprenticeship offer. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, qualified in Level 2 and 3 but have no salon experience so finding it pretty impossible to get a job and from this my confidence has been knocked. I regret not doing an apprenticeship while being at college. I've now got an interview for an apprentice receptionist in a salon with the opportunity to take on a therapist role, sometimes you have to take a step back to go further. If the wage works for you then I would jump at at the chance, I think you'll do a lot better then you think. Good luck. xx

Thank you for your kind comments, i'm really grateful for all of the advice you ladies have given me xxx I think i'm just gonna take the plunge and hope for the best, I'll probably feel awkward for a while but furthering my career means everything to me and if this is my chance, i'm lucky to have been offered it so I will grab it, thanx again ladies, you've really helped xx

Thank you for your kind comments, i'm really grateful for all of the advice you ladies have given me xxx I think i'm just gonna take the plunge and hope for the best, I'll probably feel awkward for a while but furthering my career means everything to me and if this is my chance, i'm lucky to have been offered it so I will grab it, thanx again ladies, you've really helped xx

Your welcome! I think you've made a good decision, love your enthusiasm! Keep us up to date on how everything goes! xx

Your welcome! I think you've made a good decision, love your enthusiasm! Keep us up to date on how everything goes! xx

Haha, thank you,I will :D xx

Hi all, just an update, I didn't get the apprenticeship, they employed someone else without telling me :( oh well their loss, looking into something else now, thanx again ladies :) xx

Latest posts

Back