Salon Geek for professionals or salon owners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missreid

Reaction score
After reading through many heated discussions tonight, I was wondering why salon geek hasn't got a proper professional side (applying with certificates or qualifications) or just for salon owners?

As a salon owner sometimes I would like to speak to like minded professionals. Persianista and Blue Rinse just to name a couple!

Persianista always has great advice but as I'm reading what people are replying to her I feel my blood boiling as hers and many more hair pros are.

I don't want to read the same type of thread over and over again about hair extensions not being fitted by hair pros or where to get cheap hair or products for that matter.

I understand that this site is for learning and I think it's invaluable to keep up to date with products and techniques, but there seems a few 'hairdressers' on this site that ask for help with the most simple of things. These people are either not qualified or not safe to be let loose on the publics hair.

I just think it would be nice to separate the people who love this industry and put their all into it from the people in it to make a quick buck.

This post is not meant to offend anyone, sorry if it does.

Fabulous idea!!
I love talking to other salon pro's on here, and learning about their points of view.

I do actually worry that by answering questions I am aiding and abetting a non qualified person to rip off the public.

After reading through many heated discussions tonight, I was wondering why salon geek hasn't got a proper professional side (applying with certificates or qualifications) or just for salon owners?

As a salon owner sometimes I would like to speak to like minded professionals. Persianista and Blue Rinse just to name a couple!

Persianista always has great advice but as I'm reading what people are replying to her I feel my blood boiling as hers and many more hair pros are.

I don't want to read the same type of thread over and over again about hair extensions not being fitted by hair pros or where to get cheap hair or products for that matter.

I understand that this site is for learning and I think it's invaluable to keep up to date with products and techniques, but there seems a few 'hairdressers' on this site that ask for help with the most simple of things. These people are either not qualified or not safe to be let loose on the publics hair.

I just think it would be nice to separate the people who love this industry and put their all into it from the people in it to make a quick buck.

I agree a fabulous idea! ;)

Aww thank you for thinking of me!

Yes this is a great idea! I understand we all started somewhere and have to learn but sometimes I think wow is that not taught as a basic anymore!

This comes up over and over again! As we are an international community, how would we know what are recognised certificates in different areas. Who would police this?

At the end of the day if you want to change things within your industry as in who is "qualified" then you need to be lobbying the people who are accrediting the courses, but we all know how that will work LOL.

This is a learning site and it would be better for all of you experienced and professional people to try and guide others whose training is lacking and point them in the right direction.

If as you say they are only out to make a quick buck then they wont last long.

Consumers are canny folk (generally) and know what a good hair service should be like and if they dont care, then we cant help them.

I absolutely agree, I very seldom comment on the threads because as you say a lot is just basic information they are asking and when an interesting subject comes up it gets hi jacked with such nonsense. The more experienced professional can offer a lot of support and advice to the less confidant and novice but it would be nice for a good old chat/debate/discussion between like minded and equally experienced professionals. Don't get me wrong it's great we all have somewhere to go to get support and this site is invaluable for that.

There's a hairdressing group on here that was set up it, it's only for qualified hairdressers, it used to be totally private, but doesn't seem to get used anymore, I think it's Dee who adds people to it.
Why don't you set a group up just for salon owners? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I understand we all started somewhere and have to learn but sometimes I think wow is that not taught as a basic anymore!

I must admit, I do think they shoo new hairdressers through college and spoonfeed them all the way until they manage to perform assessments under close supervision. Doing a level 2 NVQ in a year is not really enough time for all but the most dedicated. Plus, the colleges get a certain amount of funding per head and if people don't pass, they don't get paid, so tutors are put under pressure to pass people who are borderline at best - I'd say that at the moment the system is failing tutors, future stylists and employers.

Maybe qualifications aren't the best judge of who's dedicated and who isn't - might be better to skim posts and pick out the ones that are worthy of your interest?

Latest posts

Back