Salon Geek rules, anyone read them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Just in case anyone has missed them.....

Forum Rules
Geek Commandments
Thou shalt not peddle thy wares
Advertising is only allowed via clearly defined banners (find out more via the Advertise link at the bottom of each page). Threads, posts, private messages, blogs, Social Groups, etc... designed to bait and hook or advertise a service or product directly or indirectly is a sure fire way to get your content deleted and to possibly receive a permanent ban.
If another member is asking about your product or service, or if your products or services are relevant to the topic at hand you may respond without promotional verbiage or wording that would consider the post to be an advertisement. If in doubt, ask the team by starting a thread in the "My Forum" section of the site.
Thou shalt fully disclose thyself
If you sell products or services to the Salon Professional or you work for a company that sells products or services to the Salon Professional, you must disclose this fact in your profile before participating on the site. You can disclose this fact by editing the option(s) in your profile (or click here). Failure to disclose this information can result in a permanent ban. If in doubt, ask the team by creating a post in the "My Forum" section of the site.

Thou shalt not make libel, racist, sexist or disparaging comments
Nobody wants to read that kind of lameness, especially a Salon Professional. So if you seriously feel that you must create content that falls into any of these categories, do so somewhere else unless you fancy finding yourself on the wrong side of a ban.

Though Shalt Say "Yo Team"
Make a thread in the "My Forum" section of the site to get a direct line to the SalonGeek.com team. Only Guides and Team members can see your threads and posts there and it provides quick access to clear up any confusion or issues you may have

Thou shalt post constructively
Make your content have a positive point. Posting just to complain without an effort to turn something positive or posting just to say 'is that so?' is a waste of reading space and looks a little whiny.

Thou shalt not troll
This is not the place to bitch and moan about proper nouns (i.e. People or companies). That doesn't mean that you can't debate, question or raise a valid point. It means that I don't want to see threads about how x,y or z sucks. See this article on constructively trolling to complain the right way.

Thou shalt Private Message if thy post is for one person
Posts like 'You go girlfriend' is like texting 10,000 people in hopes that one of them will be the person you are trying to talk to. If your message is for 1 person, PM it. If its for more, post it!

Thou shalt post in the correct forum
Posting about 'how do I get a cool picture next to my name when I post?' does not belong in the Hair Geek forum because it has jack all to do with Hair. Posting in the wrong forum is a fast way to get no responses whilst irritating the moderators as they then have to then move it.

Reply to others how you would like them to reply to you
This is possibly THE most important of all commandments here. We have a low tolerance for members who show disrespect to others (even if the disrespect is somehow warranted). Rude and thoughtless posts are the fastest way to make you look like a right ass in front of the world. Its also a quick way to find yourself on the wrong side of a ban. If you can't say it nicely, go Facebook it.

Thou shalt search for the truth
Have a burning question? So have thousands of others (where do you think the 1,000,000 posts have come from?). Try a search to find your answer. If you cant find it or you are not fulfilled with the results feel free to post away!

Thou shalt THINK about the title of thou thread
The fastest way to get your thread ignored is by using titles like 'Help!!!??!?', 'Read this!', 'What do I do now?', etc... They are too vague and most geeks ignore them because the title doesn't say what the thread is about.
While I'm at it, titles like 'Wot products u use 4 this?' is a great way to come across as a 14 year old trying to get your Sally Hansen bottle of nail enamel open. Most professionals will avoid threads with titles like this because they will be scared you will be too young to handle the truth.

Edit thy freaking mistakes!
There is a fancy facility on the site here that actually allows you to edit your post. Its called the edit button. Use it if you spot typos or mistakes in your post.

Thou shall not give pseudo-professional advice
In the forums where you are not a professional (i.e. the Hair Geek forum if you are not a professional hair messer) you may not give advice. This is a forum for professionals and the only way to keep it that way is to make sure that you are very careful in your comments that you make in forums where you hold no qualifications. It is fine to chime in with opinion as long as it does not lead readers to construe that the information you have given is a professional recommendation. On that note, please do NOT recommend OTC (Over the counter) products and services. These are not professional.

Although the administrators and moderators of SalonGeek will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of SalonGeek, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of SalonGeek reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
For breaking above rules you may be warned/banned appropriately!

Last edited:
In case anyone is wondering where a certain thread has gone, maybe reading these rules patricularly the bit about offensive vulgar behaviour will put 2 and 2 together and realise it has been removed.

Play nice Geeks, and remember its okay to have fun, but this is a professional forum.

Chit Chat is for discussions you would normally have in the staff room.

Recently some of the posts I have read, and received so many Reports about, if anyone talked to me like that in a staff room or about certain subjects I would be raising a grievance or having words.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I hear you.

Can I also add that putting 'lol' or 'haha' at the end of an offensive comment doesn't stop it being offensive.

Reminds me of my daughter when she was little saying "No offence but she's really fat"

I had to tell her that saying 'no offence' didn't stop it being offensive!!!

But she was 10!

Vicki x

Suppose we all needed a little reminder. Ta x

I'm just bumping this up a bit as I've seen a few of these rules being broken today.

It's so disheartening to see such bitchy behaviour on sites like this. Every one started somewhere, just because most of the people on here are done with their learning journey, doesn't give them the right to be so 'mean girl' to newbies to the forum or industry.

If you don't like something you read, scroll down/hit the back button. There's absolutely no need for there to be such an attitude about it!

Whether we're 'all adults' or not, that's no excuse to speak to people like dirt.

My favourite:

Thou shalt search for the truth
Have a burning question? So have thousands of others (where do you think the 1,000,000 posts have come from?). Try a search to find your answer. If you cant find it or you are not fulfilled with the results feel free to post away!

Sorry Izzydoll feeling the need to bump a few of your threads ....I'm not stalking you honest haha :D

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

No problem there's no harm having a reminder of the rules every so often. :wink2:

Just brushing off the cobwebs

People never say "no offence" unless they've said something offensive!! It's such a completely ineffective and redundant phrase! :)

Just brushing off the cobwebs
Well timed too, if I see one more post where someone tells someone else to use the search function I think I'll go insane lol

It's text speak that drives me mad. If you can't be bothered to write it properly - with at least am attempt at punctuation - I sure can't be arsed to read it.

Vic x

It's the rudeness of some of the people on here that's gets me.
I recently saw someone moaning that too many people were asking stupid basic questions, and there's not enough pros on the site, aimed at those who are currently learning.
I just thought that was a bit of a **** move.
We all had to start somewhere.

It's the rudeness of some of the people on here that's gets me.
I recently saw someone moaning that too many people were asking stupid basic questions, and there's not enough pros on the site, aimed at those who are currently learning.
I just thought that was a bit of a **** move.
We all had to start somewhere.

I haven't seen the post you're on about but, it could be more that people are asking the same questions and not checking/using the search feature. And sometimes seems that new/training stylists seem to want us to answer their homework!

I haven't seen the post you're on about but, it could be more that people are asking the same questions and not checking/using the search feature. And sometimes seems that new/training stylists seem to want us to answer their homework!

I agree with the lack of search bar usage haha! X

Latest posts

Back