Salon job, want to quit!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah hill

Reaction score
Hey, I've changed my account to post this as better safe than sorry.

Been working in a salon for a year and a half, was brilliant the forage year! Slowly building up clientele got on really well with everyone however things changed when about 6 months ago I went self employed.

I work on a commison split, and if I have noone in I have to stay, I can't choose my own day, or my own hours, can't even leave an hour early without being moaned at. I'm not self employed!

Secondly they've hired another stylist even though myself and the other newish girl who's started just before me are only half full, so we are now earning even less! Plus the new stylist knows my bosses through family and is obviously comfortable, but hates me, and makes it obvious. I'm fairly sure it must be a jealously thing and she's never really busy and doesn't have a great deal of colour knowledge.

We've also got a new apprentice who we've all had a staff meeting about saying how we don't think she has the right attitude and that she sits around all day when the boss isn't in. This apprentice is so rude, the other day she walked into the staff room pointed At me, pointed at some hair on the floor and it was like. OI YOU. SWEEP HAIR. IM ON LUNCH. (I didn't sweep it btw.) But that's an example how she speaks to the staff. Again the boss knows he'd outside of work and keeps telling us she's got a unstable home life! Well we've all had enough of her!

Lastly. I wanna leave I no longer enjoy my job and the Monet isn't great now there is 3 of us fighting for clients. The good atmosphere is gone and I have no motivation there to suceed anymore.
But, if I leave I've got nowhere to go, other than another job If I find one but they all self employed and I'll be earning less than I do now, or do I have to get another job in a shop, give up hair just so I can move out :(

Dilemmas!?

Why did you go self employed? Did you have a choice? What was the wage structure before this?

There are a lot of threads on here about the rules of self employment and a lot more on the hmrc website or there's also a pinned post at the top of the business section.
Basically self employed means it's your business. It means that it is in your interest to build YOUR business. It also means that you can go home when there's no work, you can take holiday when you want, you take all the clients details and they are yours, and you take the clients money and give the salon owner the percentage. If they want you to stay they have to pay you at least national minimum wage. I'm afraid it sounds to me like the salon isn't doing well and by having lots of so called self employed staff, there's a vague hope that money might come in.
If you went elsewhere you may have more of a chance of building your own client base because where you're at sounds pretty poor.

Good luck

Vic x

Why did you go self employed? Did you have a choice? What was the wage structure before this?

There are a lot of threads on here about the rules of self employment and a lot more on the hmrc website or there's also a pinned post at the top of the business section.
Basically self employed means it's your business. It means that it is in your interest to build YOUR business. It also means that you can go home when there's no work, you can take holiday when you want, you take all the clients details and they are yours, and you take the clients money and give the salon owner the percentage. If they want you to stay they have to pay you at least national minimum wage. I'm afraid it sounds to me like the salon isn't doing well and by having lots of so called self employed staff, there's a vague hope that money might come in.
If you went elsewhere you may have more of a chance of building your own client base because where you're at sounds pretty poor.

Good luck

Vic x

I got told for the first year that I would have a guaranteed wage. Which I did. But then I was on my own, I can't do any of that stuff that you can when your self employed, I can't take holiday without asking, certainly can't decide when I work!

I do want to move salons but I'm so stuck, I don't wanna be earning pennies for months again :/

So difficult!

I got told for the first year that I would have a guaranteed wage. Which I did. But then I was on my own, I can't do any of that stuff that you can when your self employed, I can't take holiday without asking, certainly can't decide when I work!

I do want to move salons but I'm so stuck, I don't wanna be earning pennies for months again :/

So difficult!

Actually, you can. Once self employed, you become your own boss so you run your own business how you see fit and if you choose to relocate to another salon, it's up to you. Make sure you write down the contact details for all your clients before you move. (Perhaps do it discreetly for now)

Your salon owner is trying to operate illegally by the sounds of it.

The situation isn't likely to improve so my advice would be to move somewhere else and contact ACAS/HMRC in the meantime for advice. Your Salon owner is treating you as employed so they need to be paying you for any outstanding wages owed. HMRC can make that happen.

The trouble is the salon is in such a small village I'd end up looking like the bad person for doing so, and if I brought it up I know they would get rid of me, so I'm just gonna have to carry on until I find a new job I think :/

Sounds like you need a break.

It can be overwhelming when the atmosphere is bad and it demotes your aspirations for yourself and your business development.

I think you should constructively have a word with the owner to list all the problems. hopefully they will listen to you and maybe perhaps become a manger or supervisor if there isn't one and be placed on the adequate wage that you desire. It might be the win win you need. Either way you need to safeguard your clients to whatever is going on, and be a bit brave to actually discuss the attitudes and problems, otherwise tension will keep building. xoxo

I would, discreetly take customers contact.

And call HMRC. If you tell them all this, they'll probably decide that you're actually employed and I believe get your back dated wages.

Maybe get a part time in a salon and elsewhere while you're building up?

Hey, I've changed my account to post this as better safe than sorry.

Been working in a salon for a year and a half, was brilliant the forage year! Slowly building up clientele got on really well with everyone however things changed when about 6 months ago I went self employed.

I work on a commison split, and if I have noone in I have to stay, I can't choose my own day, or my own hours, can't even leave an hour early without being moaned at. I'm not self employed!

Secondly they've hired another stylist even though myself and the other newish girl who's started just before me are only half full, so we are now earning even less! Plus the new stylist knows my bosses through family and is obviously comfortable, but hates me, and makes it obvious. I'm fairly sure it must be a jealously thing and she's never really busy and doesn't have a great deal of colour knowledge.

We've also got a new apprentice who we've all had a staff meeting about saying how we don't think she has the right attitude and that she sits around all day when the boss isn't in. This apprentice is so rude, the other day she walked into the staff room pointed At me, pointed at some hair on the floor and it was like. OI YOU. SWEEP HAIR. IM ON LUNCH. (I didn't sweep it btw.) But that's an example how she speaks to the staff. Again the boss knows he'd outside of work and keeps telling us she's got a unstable home life! Well we've all had enough of her!

Lastly. I wanna leave I no longer enjoy my job and the Monet isn't great now there is 3 of us fighting for clients. The good atmosphere is gone and I have no motivation there to suceed anymore.
But, if I leave I've got nowhere to go, other than another job If I find one but they all self employed and I'll be earning less than I do now, or do I have to get another job in a shop, give up hair just so I can move out :(

Dilemmas!?
Hi I worked in a salon for 7 years had its ups and downs and it is a tough environment to work in but only makes you tougher I now work self employed mobile due to havein my little girl and I love it!! I work similar hours but earn more than twice as much. If uve got a gud client base and can drive then it's a fab option, I cudn work for anyone else now, gud luck in what u decide x x

Hi I worked in a salon for 7 years had its ups and downs and it is a tough environment to work in but only makes you tougher I now work self employed mobile due to havein my little girl and I love it!! I work similar hours but earn more than twice as much. If uve got a gud client base and can drive then it's a fab option, I cudn work for anyone else now, gud luck in what u decide x x
Thanks everyone! I think I'm gonna have a good chat with my boss and see what she suggests to help with this situation! The trouble is I love doing my clients in the salon so although going mobile may be an option I would like to try and stay in a salon environment, especially seeing as most of my colours are younger ladies with things like balyage, foils and a lot of colour correction. I can imagine these types of clients would be trickier at homes, especially rinsing off colours and not knowing the exact colours I would need in stock! I will keep you updated as I go! :)

Hi, go mobile! You'll be much better off, your clients you are doing now in the salon can be done at home, you get to keep all the money and then you sort out your ni and tax as you would now. You'll never regret it, honestly, bite the bullet and go be your own boss properly!
As for your "bosses" it sounds like they are creaming the best of everything, you pay your own tax and ni, they decide if you have holidays and time off etc and then you give them half your earnings!

Take the bull by the horns and spread those wings!! You'll never regret it...

Latest posts

Back