Salon job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VintageEsmerelda

Reaction score
I am just wondering how you got experience? I am qualified but all the nail tech jobs I have seen require you to have experience. If you are a newbie, how on earth can you get experience?

I went self employed straight away. I’ve never worked in a nail salon and haven’t been in one for 20 years!
Have you considered being self employed or would you prefer to be employed?

I would also like to know this. I miss working in a team but feel like I can't apply for any jobs. I'm qualified in mani/pedi, gel polish, acrylic and lash lift. I'd love to do an apprenticeship.

One way to get experience is to volunteer your self in a salon maybe one day a week , I know you won’t be getting paid but it does get you the experience of working in a salon for now x

Work as a pedicurist and manicurist. Then slowly get into acrylics. It takes about 1-3 months to get good at acrylics.

Go self employed for your first year build yourself a portfolio x

I have a set up at home and the plan was to go self-employed. However, I did some training recently and one of the educators said that it might be good to do salon work for the experience. Plus it would push me.

I went self employed straight away. I’ve never worked in a nail salon and haven’t been in one for 20 years!
Have you considered being self employed or would you prefer to be employed?

I do gels. I can't take the smell with Acrylics.
Work as a pedicurist and manicurist. Then slowly get into acrylics. It takes about 1-3 months to get good at acrylics.

I do gels. I can't take the smell with Acrylics.
Gels has its set of problems. So if you want to only do gels, here's some important things to know:

-Most gels are not properly cured. What that means is that there's a good chance of developing a permanent allergic reaction.
-Always wear nitrile gloves.
-Never touch the gels.
-CND is the best when it comes to gels. That doesn't mean you have to use it. Just use whatever suits you at the current time as theres a product for every customer.

I was always told that straight out of school you can put whatever you did in school as experience. And that's how I got my first job in a salon. Always take pictures and have a portfolio.

One way to get experience is to volunteer your self in a salon maybe one day a week , I know you won’t be getting paid but it does get you the experience of working in a salon for now x
Thankyou. That is a good idea. Do you think anyone will want to do this?

This has nothing to do with my original question. Thanks however for the reply.

Gels has its set of problems. So if you want to only do gels, here's some important things to know:

-Most gels are not properly cured. What that means is that there's a good chance of developing a permanent allergic reaction.
-Always wear nitrile gloves.
-Never touch the gels.
-CND is the best when it comes to gels. That doesn't mean you have to use it. Just use whatever suits you at the current time as theres a product for every customer.

I was lucky to land a gig at a spa that trained me before hand in their services. This is why many tech's are self employed from the get go but it is not easy. Depending on what your financial situation is, you may need to do nails part time from homw and work another job as well. Unless you are super talented, you won't have a full book right away to keep you busy but over time you will gain a following. Patience is required for sure. But if you have another source of income, you could just do some services from home and then eventually pick up a salon gig.

Do some offers and do practice sets and take loads of pictures and make a portfolio for yourself :)

Latest posts

Back