Salon lighting! Will LED lights affect gel nail products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrimouse

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I am in need of better lighting in my little salon and i have been advised about LED lighting which sounds lovely but i am a little concerned about it effecting my gel nail products.

I currently use Shellac and Gelish

I was once doing a gelish application when a stream of sunlight came in through the window across my manicure desk and cured my brush in my hand, i couldn't believe it!!

This is what has led to me to worry about LED lighting either curing my gelish display (through the little colour window) or curing the gelish or shellac as i apply.

I'm really hoping i'm wrong and there are loads of you out there with this LED lighting that can confirm they have no problems

Thank you

xxx

Led is fine as it doesn't give off heat. I use a little desk clip on one from b&q with shellac and it's all fine. X

I have a 30 bulb led desk light and it cured my gelish on the brush!! I was even very very careful but ehen i came to use the same colour again, my brush wad ruined. Harmony sent me a replacement though. Now I keep all my bottles even the one im using well away from my light when working and i angle it so its only lighting the clients fingertips xx

Look ... you really need to understand what LED means.

LED is a type of bulb ... not all bulbs are UV bulbs. Just like any other bulb.

As long as you are not using UV LED bulbs, then they will not cure your UV cured products, will they?

Another thing to bear in mind is the proximity of the bulb to the product. The lamps that cure nails are very close to the nails being cured. The intensity of the light reduces with the square of the distance (the inverse square law). So, twice the distance and the light will be 1/4 the strength; three times the distance, 1/9th, four times the distance, 1/16th, five times the distance, 1/25th, etc... so in terms of having LED spot lights on the ceiling or whatever... the distance from the bulb to the product would be such that the amount of light striking it would be minimal anyway.

But ordinary LED lights don't give out UV light anyway; only UV LEDs will do that (the sort that will be used for curing nails) - just like Geeg said - so I wouldn't expect the ordinary LED lights to have that much effect anyway - certainly not from any distance away...

Ok thank you for that advice

Hopefully it will be ok

I didn't know about led bulbs with uv or without or any of the such i had no idea.

I use the CND lamp to cure all my shellac and gelish

(i have heard of girl who is not a nail tech who uses some sort of gel products on her nails and uses a led torch to cure)

Thank you for your time anyway

xxxx

(i have heard of girl who is not a nail tech who uses some sort of gel products on her nails and uses a led torch to cure)

Oooh eeerrr... You do get some funny ones!

oh yes you certainly do don't you

At least when she suffers a reaction to over-exposure to un-cured product which is probably a cheap imitation from ebay she will only have herself to blame.

You hear al-sorts don't you lol

xxx

Oh well my little light only has one bulb but is quite bright so I'm not sure but if your meaning ceiling lights then i wouldn't imagine it would affect the shellac. X

My daughter has an led torch and i tried it on shellac and guess what?!
No cure!!
lol
x

My daughter has an led torch and i tried it on shellac and guess what?!
No cure!!
lol
x

Shellac isn't led curable though so that's why it didn't cure.

Latest posts

Back