Salon not using full systems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickadee

Reaction score
The salon I've just started in provides the product and im on a percentage split. Except on my own clients who were previously with me were i use my own products and get a better percentage.

When i do Shellac on my clients i use the full CND system, lamp, scrubfresh, d-sperse etc. But the salon doesn't provide the full system they expected me to use opi base then shellac colour and top coat but ive now convinced them to buy a shellac base coat. But they won't provide cuticle away just generic cuticle remover, they don't provide scrub fresh they have something called nail cleanse i don't know what brand it is, there's no d-sperse i was told to use the nail cleanse which contains acetone! The lamp they use is a cheap generic lamp, pure acetone only for removal although they don't soak in bowl phew. Also they have some blue sky colours!!! and all files are 180 grit.

They said they had a trainer come in and this is how she said to do it but it certainly wasn't my local cnd ambassador as i did the shellac course with her and wasn't taught this!

What shall i do? I certainly don't want to lose my job but i also don't wasn't to use substandard products and risk my reputation also i provide my own insurance so its obviously invalidated if i use their products.

Unfortunately it's a situation of the boss doesn't see what their doing wrong so you only have two options really: put up with it or leave! simple enough

just to let you know you don't have to use nourishing remover/d solve. I use acetone just because it still works out cheaper and just as fast as the nourishing remover for me. I just put solar oil on before the soak off.

Oh thanks for letting me know about the acetone. I really want to stay as its a great little salon but I can't risk invalidating my insurance or getting a bad rep. Its just so frustrating xxx

I'd contact your CND Educator and ask their advice. It's awful!! X

I'd contact your CND Educator and ask their advice. It's awful!! X

I think their answer will probably be the same as Jen889's. I think its a case of put or with it or find a new salon. But unfortunately this is a common thing by me people using wrong lamp or bluesky. So I fear i'll just encounter this somewhere else xxx

This really worries me seeing things like this. We pay a lot for our education and your now forced to go against everything you have learnt or loose your job! I question the trust I have for other salons now as there are always people trying to cut corners! Could you have a word with the boss about supplying your own products due to invalidating your insurance. I hope she is approachable so you can do this. I'm just glad I don't need to use salons anymore! good luck x

To be honest I doubt she'd care about my insurance she's just thinking about money. The salon is the best in my city its got an excellent reputation everything else is top notch products well except the lashes which are marvel lash but i don't use that on my clients i use flirties.

I think she's just going to see me as being awkward to be honest. The problem is i have the potential to make a lot of money here with my other treatments but i don't want to compromise. My clients respect me for using the full system and I've re educated them about blue sky. So its a very awkward situation. Xxx

I would advise you to buy your own Shellac and say nothing. The only other option is to go with flow.

Yours isn't the only salon doing this. I just posted in the consumer forum (as although i've maintained my CPD i no longer actively work in the industry) and i've been to two salons now, neither of which dehydrated or cleansed my nails before application but buffed the nail instead with a 180 grit file and, without even cleaning the buff residue off, applied the shellac over the top. No capping the ends, and removed with soaking in acetone for 15 seconds and buffed off with a 180 grit file.

I could have screamed at them but that would have been horrible. Now considering doing my own application at home as both my local shellac salons apply and remove in this way.

My only advice, if it feels wrong (which it should so you're obv a fab therapist) don't do it. Bring in your own products and don't use the salons. You'll make less money but your clients will appreciate it and you won't feel "dirty".

Best of luck..

Or talk to them, provide your own products and renegotiate your percentage split. If I was a naive salon owner and you came to talk to me about what you were thinking, I would listen to you and be impressed with your attitude.

Good luck x

Agree with squidgernetball...negotiate the percentage and buy your own products..what treatments does the owner do? I would find a treatment she loves and would only use correct products for then give her a comparison. That way she can relate to what you are saying about reputation

Hi... if you put solar oil on before a soak off does it make much of a difference? Dies it stop the nail drying out as much? Im newly qualified so still learning :) thanks x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

The owner is a hairdresser by trade I think although she doesn't do it herself anymore. I think I'm going to say it's very confusing having 2 different % i think if she wants a percentage i should just buy my own products as it keeps it simple. Or i could give her a daily rate.

She tends to get a bit defensive when you speak to her can anyone help me with ideas what to say. She's very stubborn and will want me using her products as she makes more money xxx

The owner is a hairdresser by trade I think although she doesn't do it herself anymore. I think I'm going to say it's very confusing having 2 different % i think if she wants a percentage i should just buy my own products as it keeps it simple. Or i could give her a daily rate.

She tends to get a bit defensive when you speak to her can anyone help me with ideas what to say. She's very stubborn and will want me using her products as she makes more money xxx

I'm a bit confused, are you employed or self employed and renting a desk?

Maybe word it in a way that you're keen to give her customers as good a service as your own, to keep them coming back and spreading the word. Also, explain you understand that she doesn't want to purchase the required additional products, so you can provide them and convert to one flat % or day rate. Plus emphasise that you will be applying the systems correctly with less chance of customer complaints to her.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I'm self employed I do beauty and shellac. In my last salon i was on a daily rate and provided everything. I wanted to carry on doing this as i have a lot of stock and some of my products she can't purchase eg hd brows, plus i advertise myself a lot. So the owner came up with the idea that any clients i had previous or who come via my own advertising i can use my products on for 70/30 split anyone who comes via the salon i use their products on and get a 50/50 split. And we would review this in 3 months to be honest i just really needed the job as my last salon closed down so i agreed even though i think i knew this wouldn't work. But at the time i wasn't aware of the product situation.

Hope that explains my situation a bit better xxx

I'm employed so my situation differs from you but it's like this in the salon I work. they only have the shellac colours and get this, they guessed the cure times and have been buffing the natural nail!
It really gets me down as it completely goes against my professionalism but like you, I really need the job.
I printed out Shellac info to show my boss and it was sort of taken on board though, maybe you could do the same and show them the importance of the products?

I'm employed so my situation differs from you but it's like this in the salon I work. they only have the shellac colours and get this, they guessed the cure times and have been buffing the natural nail!
It really gets me down as it completely goes against my professionalism but like you, I really need the job.
I printed out Shellac info to show my boss and it was sort of taken on board though, maybe you could do the same and show them the importance of the products?

Argghhhhh!

so it seems this is more common than I thought which is a shame. I will print out the info but to be honest I can't see her buying a new lamp. So im gonna try just supply all my own products. She seems to buy great high end products for the hair so i might try compare it to this. The hair has a great reputation but the beauty not so much. I think I'm going to explain that i want the beauty side to be as high end as the hair and this can only be achieved by using the full system.

She loves decleor so i might use the analagy that you wouldn't do a decleor facial and use a budget cleanser and exfoliator. I think she may understand that.

Thank you all for your replies its not the best situation to be in xxx

In a weird way I'm in same situation.... I was told by a co worker while applying OPI Bond aid (going to be applying OPI gel color for the 2nd time on my client) I am not supposed to be using the bond aid-- infront of the client--Wth?? First off how unprofessional & I told her that the bond aid comes in the KIT -- yet they don't use it!!!
Then when doing hard gel fill - they use Starlite gel & I printed directions & was told not to follow-- just dust the nail & not to cleanse the nail & use the dust to help secure the gel to nail..... and no bonders -- even though the mamufactuterer directions tell you to.....????

In a weird way I'm in same situation.... I was told by a co worker while applying OPI Bond aid (going to be applying OPI gel color for the 2nd time on my client) I am not supposed to be using the bond aid-- infront of the client--Wth?? First off how unprofessional & I told her that the bond aid comes in the KIT -- yet they don't use it!!!
Then when doing hard gel fill - they use Starlite gel & I printed directions & was told not to follow-- just dust the nail & not to cleanse the nail & use the dust to help secure the gel to nail..... and no bonders -- even though the mamufactuterer directions tell you to.....????

How the hell do they expect the gel to adhere to the nail plate with out bonder/primer. And as for leaving dust on the nail, isn't that going to cause infections or make the gel cloudy and contaminate your gel pot. I really don't understand this cutting of corners, luckily for me I'm a salon owner and feel sorry for you girls regarding this issue. I sometimes use generic acetone for removal but never comprise any other products. 😮

Latest posts

Back