Salon owners- advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrslargelashes

Reaction score
To all the salon owners out there, do you have any advice for me? I currently work mobile and homebased with a good client base. At the minute I only work nights and weekends since having my youngest daughter. I have been in the industry just over 7 years, and took a break while having the girls, just keeping in touch by doing treatments on family, attending trade shows, industry magazines and here of course.

I feel ready to have my full-time career now, and I'm in the process of putting together a business plan, and cashflow forecast, as well as saving money to help get a loan towards opening a salon. I know how to be a good therapist, but I have been researching and getting training to help make me a good business woman. Its hard work.

I'm looking for some honest, cut the c*** business advice from salon owners. What would you do differently if you had to do it again? I want to hear everyone's stories of how they ended up in the industry, what good and bad experiences they have of salon ownership, and did you work as a therapist and owner? Or did you employ staff right away? Will you share your stories with me please? :D

Good luck missy!

Well im too honest for my own good. Ive been fortunate enought to have worked as a therapist and currently a salon owner. I still do treatments, nothing can stop me!

I didnt hire straight away, i waited it out to get a air of the place, surroundings, Charged accordingly etc. I made sure i was on par with buisness link for current laws, legistaion, vat bookkeeping etc. I have made sure that education is essential to my workspace, to be current and on trend, its essential to understand whats going on. Every year is a must for all of us, including me i set up a budget of up to £500 per staff member if its over they pay it, otherwise its an investment in their future. Also dont skimp on incentives for staff, its all about rules/guildines and enforcing them. Dont think you know everything either, you might be the boss but dont act like hitler, its all about being sympathatic and ruthless too. (devils advocate here!).
I cant think of anymore atm but if i do i hope this helps. Good luck again but you seem to be on track. Also salon geek is a great tool to help guide you on great courses and refresher courses too. Its not always a necessity to spend money and think your getting a great service....the best is try it yourself and you know whats great for you! xoxo

Latest posts

Back