Salon owners re-opening - what steps to take?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee_geeee

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just thought it might be helpful and make it seem less daunting if we had a thread about what changes You're making to your salon/salon layout etc in preparation for reopening.

So I'm an Irish Beauty Salon, supposed to be reopening as part of Phase 4 of a "road map" to reopen the country around July 20th.

-I've started ordering things like latex gloves, masks, plastic plinth covers so it's not a huge financial hit all at once. Plus, I think theres going to be massive demand for them in another few weeks again.
-I will be allowing extra time in between each client for sanitizing the area/bathroom etc.
-Plus for the Likes of my make up stations, my make up would have been always on display but I'm going to get a tall,slim chest of drawers and keep every thing in it and take out as we need. Also, split the make up station in to two separate ones by using individual floating shelves rather than one big one between two therapist to avoid cross contamination.
-My nail polishes, I have them on display on a fabulous frame I got made, I'm wondering about putting the colours on colour wheels and keeping them stored in drawers too as I think the recommended thing to do it have minimal items in the rooms??

Anybody have any tips or things they are changing?

A BBC news report showing Germany’s guidelines for re-opening a hairdressing salon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52529820

Germany's new rules:
  • Cuts are by appointment only to avoid customers waiting in the salon
  • Customers and hairdressers must keep a 1.5m distance except when the haircut is taking place
  • Customers and hairdressers must wear face masks
  • "Direct communication" is not permitted - discussion about hair style, colour etc must be done via a mirror and kept to a minimum
  • No blow-drying, if possible
  • Fresh air must be circulated, which the rules specify should be 100m3/h per hairdresser
  • Scissors and other tools must be thoroughly disinfected between uses, as well as hairdressing chairs
  • Hairdressing cloaks must be washed after each use and, if possible, a disposable cloak should be worn over the top
  • Customers must wash their hands when entering the salon

No blow drying!
Clients will expect to pay half the usual price - the service will not be financially viable

What of they turn up without a face mask? Do we have to provide them at our cost or risk the loss of an appointment?

What of they turn up without a face mask? Do we have to provide them at our cost or risk the loss of an appointment?
I plan on stocking up on them so I can provide them. But I will be posting on social media about the changes I am implementing and saying that please bring a face mask. But to be honest, I'd rather know that it's a clear unused mask by supplying them because I know some people are using the the one masks for days!!!

I plan on stocking up on them so I can provide them. But I will be posting on social media about the changes I am implementing and saying that please bring a face mask. But to be honest, I'd rather know that it's a clear unused mask by supplying them because I know some people are using the the one masks for days!!!
I agree but this is going to come at a huge cost. I know suppliers are hiking prices now, I dread to think what the cost will be over the summer with opening imminent.

A week before the lockdown I was pretty much implementing the safety measures required such as providing masks, disposable towels, hand sanitizer etc & that’s quite easy done
However - it’s the cost factor that’s going to be an issue!
The masks that cost me approximately £5.00 are now being sold at 5 times the price!
Also we will need time between clients to sanitise surfaces - so less appointments can be booked which lowers our takings
Add to that we might not be allowed to Blowdry our clients hair!
You cannot charge the same for a lesser service, and I won’t be wanting to fit more ‘cuts’ in to increase my takings.... more ‘bodies’ in my chair = a higher potential to catch Corona!

No blow drying!
Clients will expect to pay half the usual price - the service will not be financially viable

It depends on the clients but I think you can charge a lot more for your services when you re-open whilst taking fewer clients.

In lockdown there are 2 distinct camps.
Those who are happy to diy their hair cuts and box dye colours to save a few quid and will happily continue along that vein and those who are desperate to get back to the sanctuary of the salon. They want to enjoy their pampering experience and also want to feel safe so won’t make a fuss about hand washing or mask wearing.

In addition, I imagine that new stricter (hygiene) rules will affect every sector of the service industry so maybe clients will already be asked to pay more for goods and services elsewhere, as other places will also have to introduce strict new measures?

I think that mask wearing in shops will soon be accepted as the norm for most people. I’ve been wearing my home made fabric masks since early in March and whilst I stood out in the beginning, virtually everyone shopping in the supermarket is wearing some kind of face covering since Easter.

I've been reviewing the recent guidance across Europe for re opening salons for my blog and wanted to add a couple of other considerations for you guys.

Cost is a big consideration as many of you have said, however I would urge you to contact your insurance companies now and ask about your public liability insurance cover and ensure there is no get out clause for coronavirus or associated price hike because of it. In addition we need to think about communication with clients, we need to make sure that they are aware there will potentially be no waiting room so if they arrive early they won't be able to get in to the salon. We will need to be clear that drop in appointments are not available which I know a lot of businesses had discouraged anyway as soon as we started implementing measures pre lockdown.

You may also wish to consider taking cards as opposed to cash in the salons (a couple of my beauty providers still take cash only) I think we will see a big reduction in the handling of cash. Some businesses are considering longer hours and staff rota's to cover in order to see less clients per hour but same number per day, whilst this is a sensible idea remember that you need to factor increased running costs into that equation (lights on longer, heating on into the late evening etc) so whilst you may be able to keep your overall client appointment numbers the same its likely we will see very much increased overheads to facilitate. Sadly I cannot see how these restrictions can be implemented without some of the cost being passed to the customer which none of us want to see. I've explored the possibility in a previous blog post of smaller salons teaming up to form a bigger salon which may then be in a better position to weather the changes or expanding your service to include a mobile at home offering, whilst less lucrative than salon clients, the overheads are likely to be less and we may find clients keen to use this type of service more.

I think more now than ever we will need to think differently about how we operate and create a sustainable business model.

Don’t forget to think about your self employed chair renters.

Although they run their own independent businesses within your salon, you may find that you are liable for ensuring that the salon meets any new legal requirements for providing PPE to all of the clients entering the salon.

Before you re-open, please check with your insurer.

just wondering what is everyone doing with children entering the salon? Single mothers? Children that want their hair cut ( primary school age and younger )

We have hand sanitizer, which I made up with rubbing alcohol and glycerine which is 80% alcohol, also I have disposable towels and gloves. The face masks I've been told that the fp3s are the best then is fp2s. As there is only me and one other stylist. We will be opening seven days a week and doing alternative days. And late nights, and I have 2 shapooist who will be working alternative days. We will sterilize every section once a client leave a working station. I am trying to get a shield also for reception, and no cash will be handled only cards. I have been trying to getb certain items but it is hard as what's left is not of good quality. Cant get disposable gowns except for the plastic see through which it will be impossible for my clients to wear. I will not be serving beverages, biscuits, tea, coffee. Also no magazine's.
With children I think that if they are old enough they can wear a face mask, but to be honest not many children would like to wear one. Going shopping for food I see so many children with no protection. This is a hard one. If I have missed out anything please tell me so I can put it in place.
Thank you

I’m going to wear a fabric mask that can be laundered. I’ll have a second one for when one is being washed. I’ll ask clients bring their own mask but will provide for those who can’t get hold of any. I’ve bought additional implements so I can give extra time to the cleaning of items and keeping them in a uv cabinet for storage rather than back into the drawers after barbicide. I’m going to get some shelving up as I have nail colour display stands and I’d rather keep stuff up out of reach if can you keep clear surfaces to wipe down.

You might find that a fabric mask needs replacing every couple of hours or so, so maybe look to get in at least half a dozen to swap around.
I’ve been sewing face masks for my family and friends for a few weeks now and found that Japanese cotton gauze was the comfiest fabric for the inside to enable them to be worn for long periods.
My initial batch used a super soft 400 thread count cotton sheet but I found it less comfortable for breathing through.

If you wear glasses, a thin Perspex visor might be a better solution?

Just thought - this doesn’t affect me too much as i mainly do hair..... but I do also retail Jane iredale makeup.
How can make up artists return to work?

Hi

I have a small beauty salon that I run from home, I have bought gloves ,masks and hand sanitizers from my wholesalers £89 [emoji24]

I am going to have to put my prices up by £1 per treatment or offer to sell my clients a mask for £1 ( if they don’t have one) or both not sure which is the best way round.
It’s a lot of money to lose and not sure how long we will have to wear masks for

Do we know if we can wear cloth masks

Are you really just putting your prices up by just £1.00!
I would think again on that one..... your masks alone will be more than £1.00 each - you will also need to factor in disposable towels, gloves, gowns, the extra time needed to sanitise between clients..,.
There was a really good webinar yesterday from Professional Beauty, interviewing a professional business coach .......
This is our chance ladies to charge our worth!

I am going to have to put my prices up by £1 per treatment or offer to sell my clients a mask for £1 ( if they don’t have one) or both not sure which is the best way round.

I think that’s a bit unrealistic given the new changes that are likely to be required that will be costing you additional time and money to undertake.
You’re probably going to have to increase your charges considerably and factor in the cost of PPE because what if they turn up with a scarf and insist they don’t want to pay £1 for a face mask?

I’m thinking I’ll put my prices up by 10% and introduce a minimum charge. I’m a beauty therapist and I can’t have people just popping in to get their top lip waxed, it’s not economic.

I’m not going to be offering make up straight away because you have to stand in front of your client. When it seems safe to do so I’ll be demoing 3 minute makeovers. But for now the make up’s off limits. I can’t handle the stress.

I’m confident about using gloves, sanitising high touch surfaces and using disposable everything for clients - and controlling bookings, clients and client personal possessions.

I am worried about air bourne virus. I have basement rooms without a window. I’m going to relocate at the earliest opportunity so I can throw windows open inbetween clients. In the meantime I’m going to use the Antimicrobial properties of raw, unlacquered copper to help disinfect my space. Copper kills bugs on contact, all Covid germs die in 4 hours or less. It even cleans the air, so the more copper you have the better.

Brass is 60% copper so I’ve polished off all the lacquer on my brass door handles, and I’ll be fitting unlacquered brass finger plates to the doors, Not only will I know where to sanitise in between clients, the air will be circulating and coming into contact with the sanitising metal. I’ve even bought an Antimicrobial (unlacquered) copper light switch front plate for the loo light switch. I have a number of copper bowls in the salon and even a copper glass to drink from. I’m thinking of other copper and brass that I can bring in.

I’ll also be using anti viral essential oils in diffusers, I haven’t seen any scientific research telling me how much of a help this will be, so I can’t rely on it. Essential oils must be less than 2 years old to have therapeutic benefits. After that, they just smell nice. But they’ll be antiviral essential oils on tissues in my bin, and in my vacuum cleaner bag as an extra reassurance. Most of my products have essential oils in.

I’m considering closing for 3 consequentlve days the first couple of weeks back as, if I clean before I go, any Covid that I miss will mostly die off in 3 days. I like the idea of a completely sanitised room, and in a basement it’s going to be tricky.

What I've implemented is a client gets notified prior to appointment they have to wear a mask, if they don't bring one. They will be charged what I pay for the masks for my staff (no profit made). There far to expensive to be giving out for free in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back