Salon owners re-opening - what steps to take?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TheDuchess: I didn’t know that about Copper. I always assumed the copper bracelet thing (that my hubby wears) was a bit of a fad.
I’ll dust off the copper singing bowl and stick it near to where I sew. :)

It’s cool isn’t it. It doesn’t matter if it’s tarnished brass or copper. As long as there’s no wax or lacquer on the surface. There have been pre-Covid studies which show that the cost of fitting copper surfaces in Hospital ICU’s have more than been repaid in just a few months in a reduction in hospital acquired infections. Copper kills MRSA in 2 hours.

I don’t know why it hasn’t been discussed more widely.

it’s also important to realise that Covid “hitch hikes” on saliva, dust particles and pollution molecules. Things that create negative ions will be helpful (like salt lamps, growing plants, lit beeswax candles and water features) because negative ions “earth” floating dust molecules. The dust drops to the floor and other surfaces where it’s less lightly to be inhaled and where you can bleach/disinfect.

Growing plants reduce airborne pollution which is higher indoors than out - especially if we are using cleaning chemicals constantly. I’ve been nurturingadditional house plants since Covid first became a worry. When lock down started I bought 3 air purifying plants from Sainsbury’s for a knock down price because they looked half dead. They are still not fully recovered, but what was interesting was that the air in our bedroom (where I put them), noticeably improved within 24 hours.

That’s good to know.
I’ve always had lots of house plants and when we moved, I had a sunroom built with plenty of window sills for my plants. I move the bigger plants in the room twice a year and during the spring/summer, some of them are arranged around the cute wood burning stove.

Does anyone know the rules on freelance hairstylists..I’ve been buy disposable gowns and gloves and some masks,just checking dates,will freelance go back on 4th July too? Thankyou to anyone that has any info

Does anyone know the rules on freelance hairstylists..I’ve been buy disposable gowns and gloves and some masks,just checking dates,will freelance go back on 4th July too? Thankyou to anyone that has any info

The current guideline relating to a return to work for all personal care is actually no earlier than 4th July, provided the data allows, so although it’s very much hoped that this date will be achieved, it is by no means guaranteed unfortunately.

Personally I wouldn’t start taking bookings until we get confirmation of the date
You’ll just be giving yourself agg if the date gets changed

It’s cool isn’t it. It doesn’t matter if it’s tarnished brass or copper. As long as there’s no wax or lacquer on the surface. There have been pre-Covid studies which show that the cost of fitting copper surfaces in Hospital ICU’s have more than been repaid in just a few months in a reduction in hospital acquired infections. Copper kills MRSA in 2 hours.

I don’t know why it hasn’t been discussed more widely.

it’s also important to realise that Covid “hitch hikes” on saliva, dust particles and pollution molecules. Things that create negative ions will be helpful (like salt lamps, growing plants, lit beeswax candles and water features) because negative ions “earth” floating dust molecules. The dust drops to the floor and other surfaces where it’s less lightly to be inhaled and where you can bleach/disinfect.

Growing plants reduce airborne pollution which is higher indoors than out - especially if we are using cleaning chemicals constantly. I’ve been nurturingadditional house plants since Covid first became a worry. When lock down started I bought 3 air purifying plants from Sainsbury’s for a knock down price because they looked half dead. They are still not fully recovered, but what was interesting was that the air in our bedroom (where I put them), noticeably improved within 24 hours.
Never knew this about copper either. Wonder if I could incorporate something for mobile work?! As you sound like you know a lot about the subject, do you think that would work & if so, what would you recommend?

The current guideline relating to a return to work for all personal care is actually no earlier than 4th July, provided the data allows, so although it’s very much hoped that this date will be achieved, it is by no means guaranteed unfortunately.
Keeping all fingers and toes crossed for that date thankyou for info.ive been looking for it everywhere

Personally I wouldn’t start taking bookings until we get confirmation of the date
You’ll just be giving yourself agg if the date gets changed
I’m beginnning to think that.ive changed so many clients on a daily basis since 7th May.

Enchanting Beauty, I think there are particular challenges with working mobile.

The air inside cars is notoriously polluted and Covid virus can attach to pollution, so open your windows to air out the car and spray inside using a water spray with some antiviral essential oil added, before locking up, inbetween client visits.

I would definitely consider beeswax tea lights or tapers to help settle floating dust motes in the air which Covid virus can attach to. I don’t know why beeswax is better than paraffin wax - no-one makes claims about other waxes creating negative ions. Another advantage of beeswax is that it is practically smokeless when it burns. You can get salt lamp tea light holders which create a small field of negative ions when warmer than the air (salt is naturally sterile), but just have one because they’re really heavy. I’d pop this on my work station.

You could potentially use your water spray in your treatment space. Your clients will think you’re using aromatherapy to create atmosphere but actually you will be encouraging floating air particles to settle on surfaces. You need to be very careful not to breathe in the moist air though, so you’ll need to give the space a few minutes

I’d buy a copper bowl, or two. Not the manicure ones because they’re heavy and expensive. You want the lightweight ones that Indians use as cooking utensils. I bought my large ones from TK Maxx years ago and I’ve used nitromors to make sure they’re not lacquered. Check out eBay.

I use a copper Turkish coffee jug as a hot water holder, if you decide to do this - be careful of hot handles! You can also buy copper water bottles which hold heat, if you bring your own hot water. Be careful to ensure they are copper and not copper paint. Ayurveda bottles from India are ok, there are some UK suppliers.

To a tiny extent air coming into contact with copper will be purified. So the more copper around you, the safer the air. The copper things in your bag will reduce the multiplication of Covid viruses until you can sanitize everything at home.

When you strip off disposable gloves and masks, these need to be double bagged. Washable masks need to be bagged up before washing. Maybe use a copper bowl to hold these bags?

Last edited:
Enchanting Beauty, I think there are particular challenges with working mobile.

The air inside cars is notoriously polluted and Covid virus can attach to pollution, so open your windows to air out the car and spray inside using a water spray with some antiviral essential oil added, before locking up, inbetween client visits.

I would definitely consider beeswax tea lights or tapers to help settle floating dust motes in the air which Covid virus can attach to. I don’t know why beeswax is better than paraffin wax - no-one makes claims about other waxes creating negative ions. Another advantage of beeswax is that it is practically smokeless when it burns. You can get salt lamp tea light holders which create a small field of negative ions when warmer than the air (salt is naturally sterile), but just have one because they’re really heavy. I’d pop this on my work station.

You could potentially use your water spray in your treatment space. Your clients will think you’re using aromatherapy to create atmosphere but actually you will be encouraging floating air particles to settle on surfaces. You need to be very careful not to breathe in the moist air though, so you’ll need to give the space a few minutes

I’d buy a copper bowl, or two. Not the manicure ones because they’re heavy and expensive. You want the lightweight ones that Indians use as cooking utensils. I bought my large ones from TK Maxx years ago and I’ve used nitromors to make sure they’re not lacquered. Check out eBay.

I use a copper Turkish coffee jug as a hot water holder, if you decide to do this - be careful of hot handles! You can also buy copper water bottles which hold heat, if you bring your own hot water. Be careful to ensure they are copper and not copper paint. Ayurveda bottles from India are ok, there are some UK suppliers.

To a tiny extent air coming into contact with copper will be purified. So the more copper around you, the safer the air. The copper things in your bag will reduce the multiplication of Covid viruses until you can sanitize everything at home.

When you strip off disposable gloves and masks, these need to be double bagged. Washable masks need to be bagged up before washing. Maybe use a copper bowl to hold these bags?
Thankyou so much for all the advice!
It’s going to take a lot of planning by the sound of it but will definitely look into everything you mentioned.

What of they turn up without a face mask? Do we have to provide them at our cost or risk the loss of an appointment?
Ive bought face masks for staff and spares, a client will be told prior to bring / wear one in the salon during the service. If they don't they will be charged for what I pay for them. As long as you tell them prior I think this is more than fair - then you don't lose that client

Thanks again ladies, really good tips for me to take on board.

Does anyone know what hours we can stay open for ? As I am thinking of working from 9..9pm. There are only two stylists, and two trainees. So we will be working every other day.

Hi all,

I just thought it might be helpful and make it seem less daunting if we had a thread about what changes You're making to your salon/salon layout etc in preparation for reopening.

So I'm an Irish Beauty Salon, supposed to be reopening as part of Phase 4 of a "road map" to reopen the country around July 20th.

-I've started ordering things like latex gloves, masks, plastic plinth covers so it's not a huge financial hit all at once. Plus, I think theres going to be massive demand for them in another few weeks again.
-I will be allowing extra time in between each client for sanitizing the area/bathroom etc.
-Plus for the Likes of my make up stations, my make up would have been always on display but I'm going to get a tall,slim chest of drawers and keep every thing in it and take out as we need. Also, split the make up station in to two separate ones by using individual floating shelves rather than one big one between two therapist to avoid cross contamination.
-My nail polishes, I have them on display on a fabulous frame I got made, I'm wondering about putting the colours on colour wheels and keeping them stored in drawers too as I think the recommended thing to do it have minimal items in the rooms??

Anybody have any tips or things they are changing?

You are starting over. This is day one of your brand new business. Step back and take a serious look at your whole business. What wasn't working for you before...
Culture, Compensation, marketing for new clients, hiring system... whatever!

Now is the time to reboot and rebuild. We all have the greatest opportunity before us than anytime in our past life. Let's not get down the road 5 years and look back with regret. Regret kills people every day.

Latest posts

Back