salon owners success stories

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that is making money with their own nail salon?.

Come on geeks, dont be shy step forward and tell us a success story.................and give us all some hope.:biggrin:

I'm hoping that you haven't had any replies simply because they're too busy in their salons making money. xxx

He..he..he........me too! Or maybe they've all buggered off to Monaco for the weekend:biggrin:

I hope someone writes soon about how well they are doing.

Some of the salon owners need a boost and some reassurance!!!

I wish I was one of the sucess stories.

My salon did well, was always busy but I had a problem with financial side and had a child etc. Wasnt meant to be!!!

here here. after reading a thread about salon owners not even taking a wage, i've been getting a bit panicked, a few success stories would be fab! xx

Hi all,
Ive had my salon now for nearly 3 years after expanding from renting a room by my self.
It's been a huge success!!:biggrin:

I've just taken on another member of staff to join our team-who are working flat out every day.....we are more a nail salon, than a beauty salon, although beauty is offered as well as sunbeds and I'm looking into starting spray tanning soon for summer as we are always been asked if we can do it!

Sooner though, I've got to decide whether I need to move to bigger premises as it's so busy, OR, open another salon in another area, ahhhh the thought scares me:Scared: as it's been really really hard work, all the hours me, my daughter & staff have worked to build the clientelle up....and still new clients keep trying to book thinking we can get them in there & then.

I've never advertised, honest!- just 'word of mouth' has been the best advert for us!
Clients come from all over the midlands, Stoke-on-Trent, Stafford, Kidderminster, Telford, B-ham, etc.......it's really quite nice when you ask new clients how they come to hear of us and they explain some-one they know have been to us before!

Well, it's my day off, (Sun & Mon) but im online, paying bills, stock ordering & of course, logged onto this site, reading threads, answering PM's and helping if I can!!
It never stops......I run my own home & car as I'm a single mom (I do have a partner, but we don't live together & only see each other a few times a month) I do all my book keeping & wages, Some-times I get behind with it all, but I have to catch up, then I leave the rest to my accountant!

I'm now off to tackle the ASDA......take puppy to vets, get back to feed my teenagers, clean up and later on go to capital, pick up stock, take to salon, check all ok there, come back home & try to chill.....ready for the busy week ahead.
I wouldn't have it any other way, I've been a single mom for 15 years so it's been a case of having too, ( & it's been a hard road to travel)...life is what you make it, it doesn't come to you, you have to find it, grab it & work at it.....set goals & if you really want to be successfull, you will acheive success & carry on the up keep of it!!:wink2:

WELL DONE CHERYL - You are an inspiration to all of us who don't have half as much to juggle - go girl!

Hi all,
Ive had my salon now for nearly 3 years after expanding from renting a room by my self.
It's been a huge success!!:biggrin:

I've just taken on another member of staff to join our team-who are working flat out every day.....we are more a nail salon, than a beauty salon, although beauty is offered as well as sunbeds and I'm looking into starting spray tanning soon for summer as we are always been asked if we can do it!

Sooner though, I've got to decide whether I need to move to bigger premises as it's so busy, OR, open another salon in another area, ahhhh the thought scares me:Scared: as it's been really really hard work, all the hours me, my daughter & staff have worked to build the clientelle up....and still new clients keep trying to book thinking we can get them in there & then.

I've never advertised, honest!- just 'word of mouth' has been the best advert for us!
Clients come from all over the midlands, Stoke-on-Trent, Stafford, Kidderminster, Telford, B-ham, etc.......it's really quite nice when you ask new clients how they come to hear of us and they explain some-one they know have been to us before!

Well, it's my day off, (Sun & Mon) but im online, paying bills, stock ordering & of course, logged onto this site, reading threads, answering PM's and helping if I can!!
It never stops......I run my own home & car as I'm a single mom (I do have a partner, but we don't live together & only see each other a few times a month) I do all my book keeping & wages, Some-times I get behind with it all, but I have to catch up, then I leave the rest to my accountant!

I'm now off to tackle the ASDA......take puppy to vets, get back to feed my teenagers, clean up and later on go to capital, pick up stock, take to salon, check all ok there, come back home & try to chill.....ready for the busy week ahead.
I wouldn't have it any other way, I've been a single mom for 15 years so it's been a case of having too, ( & it's been a hard road to travel)...life is what you make it, it doesn't come to you, you have to find it, grab it & work at it.....set goals & if you really want to be successfull, you will acheive success & carry on the up keep of it!!:wink2:
I LOVE STRONG WOMEN. HATS OFF TO YOU xxxxxx

hi, i have my own salon now after working at home for 2 years.i have to say i am so busy that the weeks have flown by since i opened the 2nd week of january! yes, i do take a weekly wage and would love it if someone could come and work with me, but as yet no takers :rolleyes: .i love my job and look forward to every new day.i have 2 boys and they love me having my own place too as it has given us back our dining room and my salon is right opposite the skate park!.i have been networking with some of the other small businesses in the area and we are all working reccommending one another.so, dont give up, there is room for us all

Not a UK story but still a success one. I emigrated here to Greece from the UK in 2004 and now have my own salon.

Firstly, I would say that it is certainly a different way of life in Greece when you are here as a local / resident - a far cry from laying on the beach as a holidaymaker with a Pina Colada. The paperwork side of setting up a business is truly incredible and you have to be very patient and be ready for a long wait to get anywhere near a salon of your own. You need a good lawyer and a good accountant (and I mean good), and ones that know about the beauty trade. All your Creative and NVQ qualifications etc have to be translated and checked by the Greek authorities and in some cases this can take up to a year, or longer!!

There are many hairdressers here that offer "nails" as a side service, often unprofessional and unclean (a bit NSS). This means that the demand for nails is based on what Greek women are used to, which is poor service, and it very hard to get business even if you have the top UK / US qualifications. As an example, I did very little business here in my first year as I was not "trusted" by the locals. As a result, I did work with some tourists, but it is not the same.

Having said all of that, I would not want to be anywhere else - we have a sunny summer from April to November, and there is little or NO crime here. My salon deliveries arrive ok from the UK, the US, Germany and South Africa, and all my clients are very friendly (now that I can speak more Greek).

Good luck if you have plans to run a salon abroad - but my big advice is "get all your ducks in a row first" before you move permanently to somewhere like Greece. Its like going back 30 years in life / business!! I guess it must be easier in more "normal" countries like Italy and Spain.

Now that Im "trusted" the salon itself is now booming and certainly paying its way and Im looking for new products and retail items all the time (like the bra straps!!), and my diary is full most days with manicure, pedicure and nail enhancement bookings. All paperwork in the salon has to be completed by me in Greek and the tax man regularly checks up on my paperwork, receipts and invoices so it is not just clients that call in.

I don't get time to "geek" too much Mon-Sat as the salon has long hours (I open during siesta as this is popular with office workers). Today (Monday) is a day all the shops close in the evenings so I having time to catch up on orders. I cant afford to go to Monaco yet, but its a start.

Eva

I LOVE STRONG WOMEN. HATS OFF TO YOU xxxxxx

Well said Brow Queen, my sentiments exactly.

Snooks sounds like you are really busy which is fab hope things keep moving in this direction for you this year.

Greek Queen - what a journey!!! You are sooo brave.

Keep these stories coming geeks........:biggrin:

great stuff guys just what was needed some great success stories. well done to you all xxx

Great to hear the success stories and I'm sure there are more on here... don't be shy!

Indeed don't be shy, lets hear all them success stories,
i will be opening my salon in a couple of weeks and need all the encouragement i can get,
when reading the stories the other day about salon owners that never pay themselves really got me worried thinking am i doing the right thing or would i be better changing my mind while i still have the time, i haven't signed that dotted line yet :Scared:

This thread is all about you geeks blowing your own trumpets, so dont hold back, we'd all love to hear about your success...........................................even if you work in a successful salon - tell us about how busy you are.:wink2:

Indeed don't be shy, lets hear all them success stories,
i will be opening my salon in a couple of weeks and need all the encouragement i can get,
when reading the stories the other day about salon owners that never pay themselves really got me worried thinking am i doing the right thing or would i be better changing my mind while i still have the time, i haven't signed that dotted line yet :Scared:

Go for it LoubyLou,it can only get better!

Richard and i have had our salon for 2 years now and before i rented a room for 18 months.I wanted a small room to build my clientele which was at the back of a pharmacy and did well.Thereafter i got a salon only 1 mile down the road from where i was and took my allbe it small clientele.
Since then my clientele has tripledand now my husband works with me.

yes it hard but its proven successful,and we are planning to open another salon soon when we go back to France to live.
We are looking at the south near Perpignan near the spanish border,and i have some contacts to help me.

having the guts and sheer determination to open a salon or business is daunting for some but i dont see it like that.
For some its a risk but i see it as an opportunity.
If the moment should come you should grasp it!

I have NOT looked back not once and have NO regrets.If there is one word that drives me its PASSION.Having that is imperative,and then everything else will fall into place.

My typical day is doing skincare and roughly doing 3 or 4 skincare treatments a day plus my bread and butter treatments.i.e waxing...LOL
Spending quality time with my clientele was foremost as id worked in spas and NEVER saw the client again and felt like they were on conveyorbelts!

I vowed id NEVER do that at my salon.
My husband and i do all our accounts and keep it up daily...thats another tip for all budding entrepeneurs,remember you have to keep on top of this.
having a website is good advertisement,and we dont advertise anymore,its purely word of mouth.
My clients who know us well know im a Stickler for repeat treatments,but its knowing how to handle your clientele,especially the first timers and letting them know that this treatment they are having is SO important to them,wether it be nails or skincare.Having the tact and diplomacy to getting them to come back is very important,and once thay do come back you know the majority will be loyal to you if they have to traust your knowledge and opinions of your job.

Oh i know im rambling on tell me to shut up...LOL:zzz:
Anyway good luck to those who want to pursue a carrer in beautyall i know is i could do nothing else....:green:

Thanks for that hun, that is the type of story we all need to read to give us that kick up the backside and reassure us that we can all do this and make a go of it :wink2:

hi again, just managed to get back on to read some replies....
i do pay myself a wage and have done since i started it has sometimes been a struggle, but only twice in the years i have been self employed! i seem to have people walking through the door every day making enquiries, 3 new sets booked in yesterday! i have to admit i do have a lovely big window that i keep changing on a regular basis and have asked local shops for their input too.....the local wedding cake maker, and bridal shop, oh, and ring maker!!! have had some fun trying on and pretending!!:lol:

the advice about keeping your books up to date is essential and having a good accountant .
but, above all is keeping that smile on your face and loving the work that you do. a smile on you rubs off onto your client!!

good luck all
xx

Latest posts

Back