Salon Phasing Out Shellac! Allow Me to Rant Please!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8nailz

Reaction score
I've just been told that my salon will be phasing out Shellac so that we can bring in OPI's gel polish line. Why? Because we currently carry regular OPI polishes exclusively and clients want to match their fingernails to their toenails.

Can you believe it?! The best product on the market since sliced bread and we're phasing it out?! I should have seen the writing on the wall when I had to stop using LUMOS because it wasn't an OPI product.

Whatever happened to, "Variety is the spice of life"? Why can't we have more than one polish line in a 5-star nail spa? The most frustrating part is that there is no discussion. Done. Based all on the decision of a child manager.

That's what you get when you have a kid running a nail spa and allow her complete autonomy. I'm so close to retirement right now...this may just be it for me.

Oh no, poor you,:hug: what a shame. Sorry to hear that, although OPI iis very good, you can't beat Shellac can you? It's horrible working for someone else sometimes. What about all your Shellac clients, will they be happy about having to change to OPI?

Last edited:
OMG! :mad: I remember when she told you that Lumos had to go, that nearly killed you ......but this!!! This is just outrageous!!!!

I feel so bad for you because I have read so many time how you love working there (until recently obviously) and it's obvious from the way you post, Shellac is one of those reasons.

Maybe, just maybe, it is time to move on if you feel that strongly about it.

I think your boss is cutting her own throat to be honest and I think she will realise when she notices the takings going down cause you have less clients cause they are going elsewhere to a salon that does Shellac.

Have you ever thought of working for yourself in your own salon or home salon? Maybe it's time:biggrin:

Good luck:Love:

Is that the axxum line?

I had a blazing row with the manger at my nail suppliers here in Israel. He was dissing our beloved shellac and ranting about this axxum. So I said fine I will have a go, He allowed me to try it. ahhhhh I did not get on with it!!! it goes on with a gel brush and i found it ran into the side walls. (Im not slating axxum. Sorry OPI users) but I find shellac much easier to use. I should have set Geeg on the manager lol

Tell your clients to make a petition.

I know it's annoying but be opened minded. Have you tried to the OPI gel polishes that come in a bottle yet? You never know you may love them even MORE than shellac? I think give it ago and see what you think and if after you still think shellac is better than tell your boss your conclusion x

Is that the axxum line?

I had a blazing row with the manger at my nail suppliers here in Israel. He was dissing our beloved shellac and ranting about this axxum. So I said fine I will have a go, He allowed me to try it. ahhhhh I did not get on with it!!! it goes on with a gel brush and i found it ran into the side walls. (Im not slating axxum. Sorry OPI users) but I find shellac much easier to use. I should have set Geeg on the manager lol

Tell your clients to make a petition.

No, it isn't Axxium. I HATE, HATE, HATE Axxium. BTW, did I tell you I hate Axxium? LOL

It's OPI's gel polish line designed to compete with Gelish and Shellac. I have no problem with introducing and trying something new. I like new things and welcome them. I just don't understand why we can't do both the new OPI gel polish line AND keep Shellac. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I know it's annoying but be opened minded. Have you tried to the OPI gel polishes that come in a bottle yet? You never know you may love them even MORE than shellac? I think give it ago and see what you think and if after you still think shellac is better than tell your boss your conclusion x

Thank you, Zoe for the words of encouragement. I'm open to change and always try to keep an open mind. I believe in OPI products (other than Axxium). I'd like the salon to offer the option of either OPI gel polish or Shellac. Why do we have to get rid of Shellac entirely? It doesn't make any sense.

I don't understand getting rid of Shellac, as you say you could do both without any problem and no extra cost really.

Nothing much you can do though when you work for others, maybe you need to think about starting your own place and showing them how it should be done! :wink2:

I can understand your frustration, but I can also see the benefit of the OPI gel colors. The new OPI gel colors are going to cost a little less and the colors that they are introducing are already very popular and well known to clients. OPI has made a great name for itself in polish that some clients may be more inclined to use the new gel colors over Shellac.

I am very anxious to learn more about it, exactly how the prep is done, how it compares to Shellac, and if I can use my Shellac or Brisa lamps. If it is very similar to Shellac and I get all the answers I want, I will be so excited to offer it to my clients. I do not plan on getting rid of Shellac tho. I LOVE it!!!

No, it isn't Axxium. I HATE, HATE, HATE Axxium. BTW, did I tell you I hate Axxium? LOL

It's OPI's gel polish line designed to compete with Gelish and Shellac. I have no problem with introducing and trying something new. I like new things and welcome them. I just don't understand why we can't do both the new OPI gel polish line AND keep Shellac. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I really hate when people try to do these type of things. My salon has it's issues (which are abundent) but at least I have complete control over my product useage. I agree about using both. Im actually really excited about the new OPI Gelcolor, but I have to say, I will continue using Shellac mainly because people ASK for it. As well as it's just a great product. Shoot... OPRAH HAS EVEN FEATURED IT IN HER MAGAZINE! Maybe you should point this out to her? lol Anyway, goodluck doll face!

I really hate when people try to do these type of things. My salon has it's issues (which are abundent) but at least I have complete control over my product useage. I agree about using both. Im actually really excited about the new OPI Gelcolor, but I have to say, I will continue using Shellac mainly because people ASK for it. As well as it's just a great product. Shoot... OPRAH HAS EVEN FEATURED IT IN HER MAGAZINE! Maybe you should point this out to her? lol Anyway, goodluck doll face!

Agreed! I am excited about OPI's potential to create a great gel polish and if it's a good product, I'll be happy to use it. But like you said, Shellac is already out there and being asked for. It's established AND we already use it in our salon. Why get rid of it now when we have so many clients who use it and love it? And again, we've already bought the whole Shellac system.

By all means, introduce the OPI gel polish line, if you wish, for clients who want it. I have nothing against gel polishes. I personally love Gelish. However, keep Shellac for our clients who have already become regular users of the product and prefer it over gel polish. But to give us no options? Really?

It's too late in my career to go into business for myself considering I can retire this month. I just needed a rant. Thank you all for listening. You're all so wonderful.:Love:

Why fix what's not broken???
Clients come back as it's the product they love! Don't cnd have varnish to match the shellac?

Aw bless you, I was waiting for you to post this after they stopped you using Lumos :( I can never understand a business being so closed minded. Products shouldn't be about brands, they should be about offering the best service to clients, and taking away something that clients have grown to love is just madness! I'm sure the OPI version will be amazing but that's really not the point. The phrase 'cutting their nose off to spite their face' springs to mind...

oh dear :-( Is there no way they will accept it just alongside?
Can you emphasise the differences in the products? Perhaps highlight that there WILL be clients going elseware before ever letting you buff their natural nails if thats involved.
Ask any clients that dont want the change to put it in writing perhaps?
If all else fails and you are not allowed to use products you love and you really cant bare that then maybe it is time to find somewhere new. :sad:

Thats ridiculous!!!

I love shellac but must admit wasnt so keen on cnd's colour/effects, plus I was always being asked for OPI

so I now offer CND manicures / pedicures with choice of OPI and Jessica polishes - no one questions why I dont have the 'matching' CND polish! lol
I know many techs like to stay faithful to one brand throughout their whole nail care range, but I like to work with whats best for me and my clients .. perhaps that stems from my days as a 'mix and match' make up artist!

edited to add - Im sure many therapist love cnd colour/effects just doesnt work for me ;)

Hi gr8nailz, I can't believe Shellac is being phased out at your salon. I suspect that if enough Shellac clients start complaining, or worse yet, stop COMING, she may change her mind. Personally, I don't see the harm in having several lines to choose from.

Best of luck to you! :)

Can you emphasise the differences in the products?

Therein lies the problem. The young lady who is in charge of the nail spa refers to Shellac as a gel polish, which of course, we all know it is not. So she sees no difference. In her mind, she's simply exchanging one gel polish line for another and keeping with the brand that we currently carry in the salon. She's so brand specific and so against change. She didn't want to bring in Shellac to begin with because it wasn't an OPI product...but then she grew to love it.

I've been so frustrated lately by the ways things are going. Retirement is looking better everyday.:)

Didn't you say most of your enhancement clients have gone? so now its mostly ? Shellac ?
then surely Shellac has become a Name in your salon ?
maybe you need to go above your manager this time and talk to your boss explain the differences and the reputation you have worked hard to build with Shellac as a product and you will feel like your giving your clients something less, than what you have got them accustomed to ,

if that fails maybe tell him your strongly considering retiring , I'm sure any boss who values and invests and so much in to his staff as cruses ect is not going to let you leave over something so simple?

He is a business man appeal to that ! he sells his business as a five star nail spa this info should pique that

tell hi this (pinched from the sweet squared facebok page ) Did you know that CND Shellac is available in all the top Spa's across the UK - preferred treatment across Dove Spa's, Ragdale Hall, Champneys, Love Me Ltd, the beautiful Alton Towers Spa and the new Corinthia Hotel in London. Not to mention top hair salons like Trevor Sorbie, Daniel Hersheson and Daniel Galvin... CND Shellac - Power Polish to the People!!!

send him this link (pinched from CND facebook page via nails mag ) Flight Attendants Don Shellac in Wildfire

Didn't you say most of your enhancement clients have gone? so now its mostly ? Shellac ?
then surely Shellac has become a Name in your salon ?
maybe you need to go above your manager this time and talk to your boss explain the differences and the reputation you have worked hard to build with Shellac as a product and you will feel like your giving your clients something less, than what you have got them accustomed to ,

if that fails maybe tell him your strongly considering retiring , I'm sure any boss who values and invests and so much in to his staff as cruses ect is not going to let you leave over something so simple?

He is a business man appeal to that ! he sells his business as a five star nail spa this info should pique that

tell hi this (pinched from the sweet squared facebok page ) Did you know that CND Shellac is available in all the top Spa's across the UK - preferred treatment across Dove Spa's, Ragdale Hall, Champneys, Love Me Ltd, the beautiful Alton Towers Spa and the new Corinthia Hotel in London. Not to mention top hair salons like Trevor Sorbie, Daniel Hersheson and Daniel Galvin... CND Shellac - Power Polish to the People!!!

send him this link (pinched from CND facebook page via nails mag ) Flight Attendants Don Shellac in Wildfire

Thanks for the info! My owner has been traveling on business and has just returned. May just be time for a sit-down.

You will at least have time on your side. It's already been bumped back twice. We actually have axxium now, it's so hard on nails. We are discontinuing it. We were waiting to try this new Gel Color by opi, before deciding to go with Shellac ( btw I love, CND is always my fav) or Gelish. My problem with Gelish, it's sold in Sallys. Decisions decisions .

Latest posts

Back