Salon rules

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste

Reaction score
Hi guys can you please help I am wanting to put together some rules, the guys in the salon are self employed so I under stand I can't tell them what hours to work ect but can I tell them I want x amount of notice for days off and one at a time for holidays and to avoid busy times like Xmas, or as they at self employed is it tuff, also what are the nose important rules in your salon ?
Thanks x

Unfortunately not, they are self employed. They choose when they want holiday, what hours they work and everything a self employed person can do under their own name.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I thought so, but I've been on a management course today and was told we should always have a rule book, we still have other salon rules you know normal ones but wondered about getting this in, just for them to consider the salon at these times,

I used to rent rooms out and I still had a contract that they signed as they were working in my premises with my clients.
I had things in about appearance, etiquette, mobile phone useage, disposal of waste, cleaning rota.

They would also infight so the contract sorted that out too.

I didn't want them coming in hungover, it happened! The hairdresser was retching in loo when I had client in treatment room next to it!
Where they are thier lunch, I didn't want reception stinking of tuna.

I also had a dress code I wanted smart and professional not sunbathing on an Ibiza beach dress wear.

It's upto you what rules you have but I sure was glad I had mine x

Thanks guys xx

I used to rent rooms out and I still had a contract that they signed as they were working in my premises with my clients.
I had things in about appearance, etiquette, mobile phone useage, disposal of waste, cleaning rota.

They would also infight so the contract sorted that out too.

I didn't want them coming in hungover, it happened! The hairdresser was retching in loo when I had client in treatment room next to it!
Where they are thier lunch, I didn't want reception stinking of tuna.

I also had a dress code I wanted smart and professional not sunbathing on an Ibiza beach dress wear.

It's upto you what rules you have but I sure was glad I had mine x
Second that :biggrin:

I'm sure if you ask them nicely and all sat around discussing opinions instead of setting ground rules they will be more helpful maybe.I know most people rather time off during holidays but others rather work for the overtime, there's bound to be a work flow for you during those days hopefully,

if you do some research online it'll tell you some rules that apply to 'shift work' most places where you do shift work the notice to give for days off and holiday is 2 weeks... I work in a shop at the moment and we aren't allowed to take holiday from November till January because that's our peak times which could apply the same for beauty salons. just make sure you know the law and don't break any rules coz you could get in trouble :) I know that from experience lol

hope ive helped x

Um, but if they're self employed they can do pretty much what they like, can't they?
I don't know that you can have it both ways; enforce rules as if they were employed, but have them there as self employed.

I have had my salon for 26 yrs, starting off with employed staff, then changing over to self employed staff around 15 yrs ago.
they were originally on a table rent and now they pay a % of their takings as rent.
regarding hours of work and holidays, you are entitled to stipulate when you require the services of that self employed member of staff.
can you imagine if they all decided to go home at the same time or all go on holiday for the same 2 weeks?
you cant run a salon with no staff, and you are contracting these people to provide a service, that IS different to employing that person, but all business owners are entitled to stipulate hours and holidays etc.
Its the same as builders/plumbers etc. they are self employed/sub-contracted by the contractor according to each job and what is required. What would happen if those workers decided to go on holiday half way through fitting your bathroom?!
there is specific wording that is used for the contract that you would have with your self employed person, similar but not an employment contract.
we have a salon handbook, which sets out our policies on appearance, customer care, lunches, hours of work, etc. It is to protect the staff member as well as the business owner.
we have recently employed one member of our team and we are looking to extend this to others if we are brave enough!
The law has been so far loaded against the employer, but the business stands to earn more money for its trouble, so it looks like the way we will go.
hth

I'm self employed in a salon and they have just had a word with people when starting basically asking out of courtesy to give as much notice as possible for days off, and to preferably wear certain things etc. if anyone decides not to there's nothing they can do but most people agree and stick to the unwritten rules anyway just to make things run smoother. So id say have a word and just let them know politely and I'm sure they will try and stick to it where possible out if courtesy :)

We take our salon very seriously, its what enabled us to win Nail Salon of the yr twice last yr!
We have a branded image, all of our staff receive free training in my CND Kent academy, they get to be among the 1st in the industry to get new products and in return, we expect our team to reflect the image of one of the best salons in the country.
It has taken a long time to reach where we are now in the industry and our team are reaping the rewards of their and our hard work.
They earn more than we do from their earnings as being self employed they give us 40% of their takings.
I don't think its a problem to have certain standards as a requirement of working with us.
it doesn't matter if the staff are self employed or employed, the salon owner is in charge of how the salon is branded and organised re the rota and hours worked.
If they want to come and go as they please or wear what they like, I suggest that they work free lance!

I do also agree that the way this is communicated with the staff is crucial. respect is a two way street and communication from the start will make sure that everyone is on the same page.

Um, but if they're self employed they can do pretty much what they like, can't they?
I don't know that you can have it both ways; enforce rules as if they were employed, but have them there as self employed.

I agree, and can I also say sub contracting is different from a self employed person renting a space. Self employed person renting a space pay the owner land Lord a rent for the space and runs there business as they want and sub contractor has a contract with the business owner to do x work within x time and to x standard and as the owner wants it done then the owner pays the sup contractor the agreed rate and the sub contractor pays there own tax and national insurance ,2 different situations.

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Nope lots of doctors and nurses are self employed within the Nhs but have to adhere to Nhs rules its the same in any industry I.e electricians on housing sites, etc etc its common to have contracts still to cover that, same when you work for agencies too.

I have had my salon for 26 yrs, starting off with employed staff, then changing over to self employed staff around 15 yrs ago.
they were originally on a table rent and now they pay a % of their takings as rent.
regarding hours of work and holidays, you are entitled to stipulate when you require the services of that self employed member of staff.
can you imagine if they all decided to go home at the same time or all go on holiday for the same 2 weeks?
you cant run a salon with no staff, and you are contracting these people to provide a service, that IS different to employing that person, but all business owners are entitled to stipulate hours and holidays etc.
Its the same as builders/plumbers etc. they are self employed/sub-contracted by the contractor according to each job and what is required. What would happen if those workers decided to go on holiday half way through fitting your bathroom?!
there is specific wording that is used for the contract that you would have with your self employed person, similar but not an employment contract.
we have a salon handbook, which sets out our policies on appearance, customer care, lunches, hours of work, etc. It is to protect the staff member as well as the business owner.
we have recently employed one member of our team and we are looking to extend this to others if we are brave enough!
The law has been so far loaded against the employer, but the business stands to earn more money for its trouble, so it looks like the way we will go.
hth
im afraid you are wrong, you need to decide wether staff are employed or self employed. We can not stipulate hours of work or holidays, they are their own boss and as long as rent is paid they do pretty much what they like. If they all had the same week off why would that matter they would have informed their own clients, so other then help with answering the phone it's no big deal.

Nope lots of doctors and nurses are self employed within the Nhs but have to adhere to Nhs rules its the same in any industry I.e electricians on housing sites, etc etc its common to have contracts still to cover that, same when you work for agencies too.

Yes they are sup contractor( freelance) which is different for self employed sole trader :-D

Last edited:
hth

I like it, sub contracting where could i find out more about this and contracts ? Thank you

I like it, sub contracting where could i find out more about this and contracts ? Thank you

Self employed staff are not sub contractors

Self employed staff are not sub contractors

I know, i think my girls are probs more like sub contractors any way as i find the work ect

I know, i think my girls are probs more like sub contractors any way as i find the work ect

You need to have legal contract with them saying they are subcontract for a certain time amount or work etc, also they really have to know the deference and decide what they want to be, sup contract you give them all the work and pay them regardless and a set rate of pay would be in the contract that you must have ,other wise they are self employed can have it both or all 3 ways :-D

Latest posts

Back